The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 04:54 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default To Glass or Not to Glass

Okay. I just picked up a new reel.

And am going to get a new rod (preferably a 9'4 wt) slow action rod. I had my eye on another CF Burkheimer and then got to thinking..well after I read it that Kerry Burkheimer rolls the fiberglass blanks for Tom Morgan who makes a $1000+ fiber glass rod. YIKES!

So while I'm now considering getting a fiberglass rod (which I know nothing about) since I've grown accustom to slower action rods (I have ORVIS Helios tip flex rods which are zippy all the way down to Superfine Touch full flex and of course a CFB Deep Action for)...is a $600+ cost for fiberglass REALLY WORTH IT?

I see Redington has one at $250, Scott @ $700 and of course all the way up to $1000+ for Tom Morgans (not doing it).

I know that the fiberglass manifesto has lots of rod makers listed.

Is the higher PRICE really driven by name and components or is there just as much NEW TECHNOLOGY (and work) going into FIBERGLASS as is going into GRAPHITE?

Will that $250 Redington just as good as the $700 Scott? I know the classic battle between cost and worth when talking about graphite will go on and on...is it the same argument in FIBERGLASS?

Any comments from experience with FIBERGLASS vs GRAPHITE is appreciated.

I'm just interested in trying something new and thought why not FIBERGLASS...but where to BEGIN?

Thanks,
C
pszy22 likes this.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 08-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: To Glass or Not to Glass

Hi Cardo,

You can get a Hardy 8' #5 rod in 2 piece for 425...........

I don't know about 9' 4 weights in glass, probably someone making them but might be salty. I fish with a fiberglass rod and love it, they are how I began fly casting. The old Phillipson's and Orvis Full Flex rods come for sale on auction regularly, both are great rods.
shotgunfly likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-22-2013, 05:53 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i've had my eye on these for a while now
W.W. Grigg Fishing Rods

casey
shotgunfly likes this.

ARFE
Old 08-22-2013, 06:11 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Cardo,

I think you should definitely give glass a try. There is glass at all price points, some better than others. I took the plunge and never looked back. Don't get me wrong, graphite has a time and a place and I still enjoy fishing graphite, but I like to fish glass even more. It's something about slowing down and enjoying the finer things in life. The casting feel and fish on feel is amazing. You can still bomb out a ton of line on a glass rod if needed. The Reddington "ButterStick" you are talking about is new on the market and not a lot of people have had the chance to play with them yet. Time will tell if they are a quality rod.

For my money, and any price point really, Mark Steffen is at the top of his game. A lot of guys prefer to get them built custom on blanks because his cosmetics are lacking. If you don't care about cosmetics, and want a true high performance, no frills rod, go with a Steffen built Steffen. Will run you about $350 new, slightly less if you can manage to find one on the auction site. You can go crazy with custom builds and make something that is truly yours, kind of like I did here (http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/foru...hp?f=8&t=42863). A few others worth looking into are McFarland, Kabuto, Epic (fastest glass), Jame Green Scott, and many more. I strongly suggest you check out the fiberglassflyrodders forum. Everything you could possibly want to know about vintage and modern glass, and then some on top of that.

You mention wanting something along the lines of an 9' 4wt. There are very few glass rods above 8'6". Long, light line glass is almost non existent.

I'd be willing to work something out with you if you want to borrow a modern glass rod to try for a couple weeks to play around with.

Food for thought,
Chase
fredaevans and mridenour like this.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:24 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Again, thanks for that amazing offer Chase. I will mull it over and will be happy to pay shipping insured both ways. Truly a gentlemanly gesture.

I immediately noticed that yes, no 9' 4wts. I've seen 8'6 and 8'8 which should do the trick.

I'm very much liking slower actions, slowing things down. Yeah I got the fast graphite too but I'll use them also—sometime.

Funny how I've moved from fast, to mid, to slow. And one day I think some bamboo is in order.

LOVELY rod, I believe I saw that very rod showcased in the gallery at Liederman's site.

I'm a bit picky with cosmetics and think custom will be the way to go. Thanks for that tip on Steffen, I also hear Kabuto is a good blank choice.

Can you give me some insight on what oz weight I might be looking for to match the reel I got (it's a 4.6 oz Abel 4n). I know it's backwards, getting reel THEN rod but I really like the reel and I think it can take a 5 line also.

Can you underline a fiberglass rod? I hear that they load under their own weight and don't need a lot of line to load them. That tells me underlining might be okay? Overlining?

Thanks gents!

-- John Gierach

My TU:
Old 08-22-2013, 06:27 PM

bear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the rough

I've done some thinking along the same lines, I don't think you could go wrong with a Steffen or McFarland, you just have to have the patience to wait till they are built.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:33 PM

bear, I hear ya. I waited a month for the CFB rod and a bamboo rod I'm considering is a 4-5 year wait! But, so long as its worth it.

-- John Gierach

My TU:
Old 08-22-2013, 06:39 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Alot of folks really like a good glass rod, myself included. The one piece of advice I'd pass along, if you do go glass, keep it short. I'd suggest nothing longer than 7 1/2' maybe 8'. I think 7 - 7 1/2' is the sweet spot for glass. Maybe something even shorter if you have a specialized need.
shotgunfly likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 08-22-2013, 07:03 PM

Wow the more I read on fiberglass the more i'm finding out it's different than graphite—duh, I know.

But it has me thinking, maybe I should ease into it. Pickup a $250 - $300 fiberglass rod and if I like it enough splurge on a custom job.

At least that's what the wife is saying ;-)

-- John Gierach

My TU:
Old 08-22-2013, 07:08 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post

I'm a bit picky with cosmetics and think custom will be the way to go. Thanks for that tip on Steffen, I also hear Kabuto is a good blank choice.

Can you give me some insight on what oz weight I might be looking for to match the reel I got (it's a 4.6 oz Abel 4n). I know it's backwards, getting reel THEN rod but I really like the reel and I think it can take a 5 line also.

Can you underline a fiberglass rod? I hear that they load under their own weight and don't need a lot of line to load them. That tells me underlining might be okay? Overlining?

Thanks gents!

The Abel 4N will be great for glass rods. I use Original Ross RR on mine and they are a bit light. As you know, glass is a little heavier than graphite. You should be fine with a 4, 5, or even 6wt line with that reel. You can underline glass to make it quicker, but I feel that most glass manufacturers do a good job of picking the line rating that is best for the rod.

-Chase
shotgunfly likes this.