The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 07:32 PM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road
Default Rod manufacturer. What's the difference?

Hi.

It seems that various fly rod manufacturer has their own signature design for what kind of rod they like to be known to make. Can anyone explain them? Hope you understand what I mean.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Rod manufacturer. What's the difference?

Well................

I'm probably not the best person to try this but here goes; In the beginning there was darkness and the world was without fly rods. God saw that this was not good and so he gave us men who would craft rods from various woods and these men begat others who would create split bamboo fly rods.

For many years man lived in a virtual paradise casting with bamboo although many men believed they could create better rods by using mathematics to conjure what they called 'tapers' and these men became great leaders among the people.

Soon the rod makers had followers, the followers were almost as worshipers of the rods and tapers created by their leaders. Of these makers there were prophets in their ranks, Leonard - Orvis - Thomas - Gilliam - Garrison - and other lesser known makers vied for the following of the masses of fish worshiper's who would pay a kings ransom for their svelte sticks made from splines of fired & impregnated cane. And there was a peace and calm on the waters and flies were cast, God saw this and saw that it was good.

Time turned and man had found many ways to produce all sort of unique materials through chemistry and engineering. Some men saw that a new material, 'fiberglass' could possibly be formed into shafts with which a fly line could be cast and they began to do this. Some made solid glass rods and others wound the fiberglass about mandrels and created 'hollow' rods. The hollow rod soon became the new religion of the fish worshipers and the makers of these rods relied on secret 'tapers' to lure the market to their product.

Soon man had begun to reach into the universe and those who would create fly rods began to look on graphite and boron fibers as a possible new way to create an even lighter and more powerful fly rod.

God saw this and knew that things were hopeless and that the fish worshipers would certainly lust after this new light and fast fly rod in a craven manner.

Today we have more makers than I or perhaps even God can name but it is their chemical compounding - engineering - tapers - and hardware's that set the various rods apart from one another in both price and performance. Fast tips, slow traditional actions, super light, the rods are all different. One can either be lured by the marketing of the manufactures or if you know someone who uses a particular brand of rod you can trust their advice on what works well.

Meanwhile, the fish worshipers still cast with bamboo rods and the early glass & graphite rods. God sees this and knows that it is good

In other words I don't really know.

Ard
imxer, mcnerney, von behr and 15 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 08-30-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:02 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Ard, I'd just prayed the Rosary, and now this outstanding lesson on the historic journey of the Fish Worshipers and the God's of Rod's makes my spiritual day complete LOL

Good story, Ard,,loved it !

Mike
Old 08-22-2013, 09:07 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose the Fall was steel fly rods? Great post Ard!
shotgunfly and yonder like this.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:08 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Well................

I'm probably not the best person to try this but here goes; In the beginning there was darkness and the world was without fly rods. God saw that this was not good and so he gave us men who would craft rods from various woods and these men begat others who would create split bamboo fly rods.

For many years man lived in a virtual paradise casting with bamboo although many men believed they could create better rods by using mathematics to conjure what they called 'tapers' and these men became great leaders among the people.

Soon the rod makers had followers, the followers were almost as worshipers of the rods and tapers created by their leaders. Leonard - Orvis - Thomas - Gilliam - Garrison - and other lesser known makers vied for the following of the masses of fish worshiper's who would pay a kings ransom for their svelte sticks made from splines of fired & impregnated cane. And their was a peace and calm on the waters and flies were cast, God saw this and saw that it was good.

Time turned and man had found many ways to produce all sort of unique materials through chemistry and engineering. Some men saw that a new material, 'fiberglass' could possibly be formed into shafts with which a fly line could be cast and they began to do this. Some made solid glass rods and others wound the fiberglass about mandrels and created 'hollow' rods. The hollow rod soon became the new religion of the fish worshipers and the makers of these rods relied on secret 'tapers' to lure the market to their product.

Soon man had begun to reach into the universe and those who would create fly rods began to look on graphite and boron fibers as a possible new way to create an even lighter and more powerful fly rod.

God saw this and knew that things were hopeless and that the fish worshipers would certainly lust after this new light and fast fly rod in a craven manner.

Today we have more makers than I or perhaps even God can name but it is their chemical compounding - engineering - tapers - and hardware's that set the various rods apart from one another in both price and performance. Fast tips, slow traditional actions, super light, the rods are all different. One can either be lured by the marketing of the manufactures or if you know someone who uses a particular brand of rod you can trust their advice on what works well.

Meanwhile, the fish worshipers still cast with bamboo rods and the early glass & graphite rods. God sees this and knows that it is good

Ard

B. S. you don't know. (Some of it is hype. Some of it is not just hype. They all work and work a little differently. It all comes down to what a person wants.)

Personally, I think there is a point of diminishing returns with fly rods which is rather low, and that point is dropping by the year. That extra little bit of performance and that extra "fit and finish" can cost a lot.
mcnerney, shotgunfly and mridenour like this.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:01 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: That was awesome! Rod manufacturer. What's the difference? I had no idea.........now I know!

Seriously, most modern fly rod manufacturers are producing quality products, so chosing one over the other really falls into the category of personal choice. I like to compare it to buying a car, some like Chevys others like Ford or Toyotas, it's not that one is that much better than the other. That is why we all recommend that you cast a rod before you put down your hard earned cash, it at all possible.

Larry

Old 08-23-2013, 08:33 AM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I am inspired!!! Tomorrow, I shall rise early and fish.........with bamboo.......garrison 201 taper. God will see it and know that it is good...... Tomorrow has been a good day!!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 08-23-2013, 09:17 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Well................

Soon the rod makers had followers, the followers were almost as worshipers of the rods and tapers created by their leaders. Of these makers there were prophets in their ranks, Leonard - Orvis - Thomas - Gilliam - Garrison - and other lesser known makers vied for the following of the masses of fish worshiper's who would pay a kings ransom for their svelte sticks made from splines of fired & impregnated cane. And there was a peace and calm on the waters and flies were cast, God saw this and saw that it was good.

Ard
Who art thou, so wise in the ways of science?
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:01 AM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by krikau27 View Post
Hi.

It seems that various fly rod manufacturer has their own signature design for what kind of rod they like to be known to make. Can anyone explain them? Hope you understand what I mean.
I think I understand what you mean, fly rod manufacturers used to be more defined by the individual owner/designer of the company and each action was unique to that company. When I switched from glass to graphite n the early nineties, the local shop I went into carried Sage, Scott and Winston, each rod had a unique action. The Sage RPL was a fast powerful rod, the Winston was at the opposite end, slow and easy, with the Scott somewhere in between.

In the time since then each manufacturer has branched out to compete along the whole rod spectrum, that said I think when old timers think of the quintessential Sage action they think fast and the Winston action as a great slow action dry fly rod, but each manufacturer has so many lines everything is muddled.

John
Old 08-23-2013, 10:14 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

As once, and still, there were master crafters of cane rods who, through taper design, imparted their signature rod action that was beloved by each makers' advocates. It was not a brand but the creativity of the individual rod maker. And today too, at the premier rod making companies, there is a designer at the helm who has a vision of the ideal action for a fly rod to cast a fly to a fish his way. Every rod maker/designer in all materials that I have ever met is a terrific caster. These are men that have earned the privilege to design and develop rods in their own signature style offering discriminating anglers a rich plethora of alterative options to suit each of our styles and techniques of fly fishing.

I like to say that Ed Payne built deep flexing rods of Calcutta bamboo, his son, Jim, built more progressive, quicker tapers utilizing stiffer Tonkin cane and, if Jim had had a son, which he did not, he would be designing rods of high modulus graphite with heritage-driven brilliant contemporary tapers.