The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 10:19 AM

alfordjo is on a distinguished road
Default New or Used - Is the warranty important

I am still shopping for a rod and have looked at quite a few used rods. How concerned should I be that the used rods do not have a warranty. Do fly rods really break that much? (Aside from the dumb things we do, car doors, etc)

Jonathan
Old 08-23-2013, 10:27 AM
mridenour

Default Re: New or Used - Is the warranty important

It totally depends on how much you pay for the rod. I'd buy used if the price was really sweet. I break things, though, and warranties are important to me. I recently had a spinning rod that I had replaced twice and it broke again. I have no idea why it breaks. I have dozens of other rods that have endured rigorous abuse for years.

If I have a great fly rod that I want to use for the rest of my life, I have to figure that I am going to damage it at some point. So if I buy a Sage or another high-dollar rod, I will probably buy a new one unless I am getting a killer deal.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:36 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The majority of my rods have no warranty and over the years I've broken (and repaired on my own or trashed) at least 10
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:03 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Year 2010 - broke tip of ZG Helios - while fishing Shenandoah River..I was snagged on rock 10ft down....25 year warranty...cost $30 (shipping) to fix a $795 rod

Year 2013 - broke tip of H2 - while fishing (deep weight eyes hit/cracked/weakened graphite) - it was a windy streamer day. Same warranty and cost above for similar priced rod

Year 2013 - friend breaks tip on rod I gave him (Redington Cross Water)...no warranty - fixed it for $15 local repair..worked fine. He was fishing. Friend ONCE AGAIN breaks same rod in 2 more places, he was fishing and was having a bad temper day. Rod is caput. Had to buy a new one. Figure that the first rod was $90+$15 plus new rod ~$150 = ~$255. For that price he could have gotten a Redington with a lifetime warranty (not Cross Water or Minnow series) say a TEMPT or PURSUIT and paid $75 for the repair. And if he broke it again, $75 is better than dropping $90 (cheapest redington I've seen, and it don't have a warranty).

Year 2013 - hook keeper on ZG Helios 5wt mysteriously pulls out. Not a reason not to fish it, but at an original cost of $750 and a $30 to fix it for 25 years (no questions asked) you better believe I'm going to send it back...maybe get a new butt section? That'd be nice..the cork is looking pretty beat up.

My point is, unless you have backups (I take 2-3 rods on every trip, 2 for SURE in same length and weight)..you will want a warranty. They do break.

If you can afford to throw away $100 for a new rod or can find someone to repair your rod for cheap then don't worry about a warranty.

And like was stated...the more expensive the rod, the more you'll want the warranty. You may never be able to get a broken rod fixed back to it's normal flex and feel, but most shops give you a whole new section.

ALL OF THIS I SAY, makes sense if you are going to be FISHING A LOT. I know that's relative, but consider that fishing, at least for me takes about 30min of prep, 15 min of packing and 15-40 min of driving. To do all that, get there and break a rod just sucks. But when it happens, I feel better knowing I have a backup in the car. I feel EVEN BETTER (after the initial gut shock and feeling of nausea) that the rod has a lifetime no questions asked warranty and is usually from a company that will have the rod turned around in under a month.

If you don't fish a lot, say 1x a month and break it, so what. You don't spend a lot of time preparing, driving, fishing anyway. I fish 4-6 a month.
jaybo41 and fly_guy12955 like this.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com

Last edited by shotgunfly; 08-23-2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Stupidity.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:13 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

You certainly can get great deals on used rods and when buying them, but you need to pay attention to different things, particularly if you are going with premium manufacturer. Condition, warranty policy, price of the rod given the condition, etc all come into play. Most rods are warrantied ONLY to the original owner of the rod. Just because somebody is saying they have a blank warranty card does not always mean the rod has not previously been registered. It is important to know as much as you can about all previous owners. Buying on tackle from a forum like this one will generally yield a better buying experience. You can do really well on the auction site, but you have to be careful. When I buy used, I factor the cost warranty repair vs. non warranty repair into consideration and compare that to the asking price.

I consider this a must read if you're pursuing used rods.

Tips For Buying Used Rods;

If you are new to fly fishing, my recommendation is always the same. Go to your local shops, work with them and buy one. A good relationship with them is worth weight in gold. A good fly shop can and will provide you with a level of customer service that typically will not get from a private seller on a forum, craigslist or auction site.

If a local shop is not an option, call some of the more reputable fly shops before ordering and talk with them to see how they can help you come to a decision. And by all means, if you get stuck on something, feel free to ask us here. There's a ton of super helpful people on this forum.

Last edited by jaybo41; 08-23-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I think it all revolves around being careful with your equipment. This is said understanding that sometimes there are unexplained failures with a brand new rod but generally a used rod has been just that, used, and if it is in perfect shape it will remaine that way until some sort of impact breaks it.

This Poll; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ory-added.html pretty well shows the sampling of how some rods are damaged.

Being careful with rods is the key regardless of whether they are new or old. Here are a couple of my own hard & fast rules for rod preservation;

1. Unless you are alone never lay a rod flat on the ground and even when alone be conscious of the down rod.

2. The tube supplied with the rod is the single best protection you have for your rod. Use it, don't get into the habit of transporting whole rods or those partially broken down. This unprotected transport although you may get away with it for some time will eventually lead to a mishap.

When buying used insist on a tube for the rod. If you find a rod you really want but there is no tube with, get one for it. If there is no tube then the price should reflect this. You can figure that a rod tube will cost at least 30 dollars and if it must be shipped to you then it will be more so shop carefully.

This thread; Tips For Buying Used Rods; may be helpful.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-26-2013, 09:48 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

In my experience I've seen way too many rod breakages to not get a rod w/ warranty. At the end of the day none of us know how you will treat your equipment so I would say yes, get a rod w/ warranty. Its just well worth getting a rod with a lifetime warranty, look at it as an investment, pay up front and be covered with a rod for life. If you break a non-warrantied rod 5-10 years from now that you paid $200 for, you'll have to buy another anyway, in the long run it may just save you money and hassle. Also, you can fish with confidence instead of being concerned to break your rod while fishing, for that reason, the warranty is very valuable to me. my 2 cents.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:37 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Guess I've been darned lucky over the years. The number of rods I've broken can be counted on the fingers of one hand. Two were a 'That was really stupid Fred's.' (Electric car window got two at one time.)**

J-41 makes a good point.

"Most rods are warrantied ONLY to the original owner of the rod. Just because somebody is saying they have a blank warranty card does not always mean the rod has not previously been registered."

Most major rod manufacturers allow you to register the warranty on line. Why waste a .44 cent stamp when you can do the job in seconds on line?

fae

** When I called Sage and told the nice lady what I'd done she just laughed: "Trust me, you're not the first." Had the two 'repaired' rods back in about a month.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:16 PM

moxnichts will become famous soon enoughmoxnichts will become famous soon enough

Ross and Redington have life time warranties even on their more reasonably priced rods so that is a good selling point for me.

For the most part I don't buy higher priced rods because for nymping on the Pit and Truckee rivers, and such its often pretty close in fishing and if I'm honest the Cabela's Wind River combo I started with is probably all the rod I need, though Ive spent considerably more since then.

Some of the places we fish are pretty tough rocky walking and the rods Ive broken were the result of falling, but not actually breaking it on the spot. More often its a nick in the graphite that fractures some time later. Either I buy "good bang for your buck" more reasonably priced rods and don't worry about it or more expensive rods with life time warranties, but have never purchased a used premium rod.

I always have a spare or two in the car or if with a buddy, one of us will have a spare. May not be your favorite rod, and I know I'm as guilty as anyone, but if you still have a fishable spare....and that Redington plastic reel, (which isnt so bad after all) at least you are still fishing and its those times when you find that maybe the rod you went to great lengths to select wasn't as important to the whole experience and to catching fish as you thought it was.

Last edited by moxnichts; 08-26-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:01 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I think it all revolves around being careful with your equipment. This is said understanding that sometimes there are unexplained failures with a brand new rod but generally a used rod has been just that, used, and if it is in perfect shape it will remaine that way until some sort of impact breaks it.

This Poll; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ory-added.html pretty well shows the sampling of how some rods are damaged.

Being careful with rods is the key regardless of whether they are new or old. Here are a couple of my own hard & fast rules for rod preservation;

1. Unless you are alone never lay a rod flat on the ground and even when alone be conscious of the down rod.

2. The tube supplied with the rod is the single best protection you have for your rod. Use it, don't get into the habit of transporting whole rods or those partially broken down. This unprotected transport although you may get away with it for some time will eventually lead to a mishap.

When buying used insist on a tube for the rod. If you find a rod you really want but there is no tube with, get one for it. If there is no tube then the price should reflect this. You can figure that a rod tube will cost at least 30 dollars and if it must be shipped to you then it will be more so shop carefully.

This thread; Tips For Buying Used Rods; may be helpful.

Ard
I fish a fair amount, and am also careful with my equipment, over the years, since 1965, I have outright broken one rod, my 15 year old Sage SP when my dog stepped on it in the boat. I also had a situation where I sent my ten year old Scott G904/4 back to Scott for them to refurbish. I had built the blank up myself, only rod I ever built, as was never happy with my workmanship. I called Scott and they offered a way killer deal to strip the reel seat, handle and guides, then rebuild it to factory specs. After they had built it up they noticed a slight crack in one of the ferrules so had to replace the whole rod with a new one. This was before the G2, so I ended up with a brand new (around 2000) G904/4 with my name on it for a very modest price.

So two rod repairs/replacements in over forty five years of fly fishing. I don't know what Scott's official warranty is on owner built rods from Scott blanks, but they sure treated me right with my one experience.

John