The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 06:43 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Any sage VXP users here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewlushlife View Post
I think single hand rods, like spey and switch rods, have larger "grain windows" than we think. experimenting with these different grain weights until you find the one thats right for your casting stroke is a lot of fun IMO And in some cases, can unlock a given rod model's full potential. Some people here may fiercly disagree with this, but again its my opinion and what works for me.
Wholeheartedly agree with you on this. I've fished single hand rods for nearly my entire fly fishing existence, roughly 13 or so years. Over the past couple of years I picked up 2 handed rods and am still learning about them. The grain window on 2 handers really opened my eyes on single handed rods as well, but perhaps it's the culmination of improving my casting and owning different lines to try on various rods. As you said though, all that's important is what works for you.

Last edited by jaybo41; 09-14-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:28 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Any sage VXP users here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Wholeheartedly agre with you on this. I've fished single hand rods for nearly my entire fly fishing existence, roughly 13 or so years. Over the past couple of years I picked up 2 handed rods and am still learning about them. The grain window on 2 handers really opened my eyes on single handed rods as well, but perhaps it's the culmination of improving my casting and owning different lines to try on various rods. As you said though, all that's important is what works for you.
Jaybo,
I think this is a great discussion, one worthy of consideration. I read another thread in which a gentleman went into detail regarding the issue of rod flex and overlining. He stated and supported that overlining or underling wouldn't actually change the flex profile of the rod, just that it would slow it down or speed it up. Still, I find that sometimes slowing that rod down or speeding it up sometimes makes the rod click with the user.
I too realized the usefullness of grain changing after getting into the switch and spey world. It changed my outlook on rod lining, I realized that line designations are subjective. A representative from a major manufacturer told me that overlining a rod would disrupt the recovery of the tip, and throw it out of whack. But, I did it anyway and the rod performs just how I want it to (not my vxp) and as for the tip recovery it seems just fine to me, just slown down a bit.
For those of you interested in testing different line weights with your rod/s, most fly shops have demo lines on hand that customers can experiment with.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:04 PM

stranger929 is on a distinguished road

I actually just purchased a VXP this afternoon, my first fly rod! I bought the 9'6" #5.

I'm glad to hear good things about this rod, it was kind of an impulse-upgrade from what I was thinking about getting. Once I learned that Shimano owned G. Loomis, they were out of the running for my first fly rig so I went with Sage.

Hopefully I'll have more to contribute to this discussion soon!

~Matt
wannafish likes this.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:16 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

I recently picked up a 9' 8wt VXP for an Alaska Coho trip and it is a cannon of a rod. I called both Sage and Rio to get suggestions for a WF floating line and they both recommended the Rio Steelhead Taper in 8wt. I know a number of steelheaders who swear by this line so I gave it a try. The lined worked very well for everything inside of 30-40 ft, but after that I had alot of issues distance, accuracy, and line control. Not wanting to blame the rod or line I went and took a casting lesson from a saltwater guide/instructor.

Much to my surprise he struggled mightily as well getting the rod to perform with that line at distances greater then 40 ft. He felt the rod would perform best with a longer taper and going up a weight. He recently switched from Rio to Airflo and has really been impressed so far. I tried to go with the "mend" taper because of the longer head but ended up with the distance pro because it was available in 9 wt. The results so far have been very pleasing indeed! This rod certainly benefits from over-lining, which is not surprising since it feels like a 9wt compared to my Legend Elite 8wt.

If i had a VXP in 5 wt I would gor with the Airflo Super-dri in either the trout or mend tapers. While the Rio gold and SA GPX are great lines, I found the head is just to short for work over 30 ft.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:00 AM

furnacefella is a jewel in the roughfurnacefella is a jewel in the roughfurnacefella is a jewel in the rough

A bit unrelated to the VXP but kinda goes with the direction of the thread.

I took a young fellow fishing the other day and noticed his casting had improved since our last outing a year or so ago and that he was sporting a new rod.

When I asked him about the new setup I soon learned it was actually a rod from my home that I had purchased for my son a while back as his first "store bought new" rod; a TFO 4 pcs Signature Series in 6wt. Apparently this young fellow had forgotten his rod at a relatives place and had been using this rod for quite some time.

He was using his Loop reel lined with 5 wt Sharkskin with out a thought to wt. or taper.

I am not sure if the Sharkskin is GPX or regular taper but this rod just comes to life with the underlining. I found it boring, heavy and inaccurate before but with the light line it was almost Sage like in delivering a fly. The set up is so nicely balanced and is an absolute pleasure to fish with.

Like I said, a bit off topic but it certainly opened my eyes to experimenting well beyond the number written on the rod.