The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 10:06 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Any sage VXP users here?

So over the years I have owned and fished many 9' 5 weight "all-rounder" rods, after many rediculous and frustrating rod purchases I have settled on the sage VXP 9' 5 weight and absolutely adore this stick from craftsmanship to raw performance in nymphing, dry fly, soft hackle swing, streamer stripping to single hand spey and roll casting, this rod does it all for me and does it better then any other rod I've owned. I'm wondering what lines some of you may have used and loved the most on this rod? Currently I use a #5 sci-angler GPX taper and its a great match, however this line has cracked and broken down on me twice. I'm on my second GPX with this rod and the taper is great but the material isn't impressing me. Some folks enjoy the rio-grand, I haven't yet tried this line, apparently it has a power taper, as opposed to a "standard" weight forward (One front taper, One belly, One rear taper). For my spey rods I use Airflo lines exclusevly because A, thier tapers are my favorite, and B, thier lines are PVC free, no liquids in the line making process with airflo. However, I've never used any of thier single hand line tapers, anyone have experience with them on this rod?

Also, I'm curious if any of you over-line this rod to a #6 line, does that work nicely for you? if so which line? I understand that the GPX and rio Grand are both heavy lines, neither of them are true to thier line weight. The GPX is advertised as a half-line size heavier and the rio grand is advertised as a whole line size heavier. However, it turns out the GPX is heavier in terms of grain weight than the rio grand, so that in and of itself is very interesting. Either way, have any of you gone to a #6 GPX or rio grand? I've heard they work nicely on this rod, any insight?

Anyone who has experience with the sage VXP, and uses a line other than the #5 GPX, your input and story would be greatly appreciated! tight lines fellas!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:54 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice
Default Re: Any sage VXP users here?

Hey lushlife:

I've got a VXP 9'6" 8 weight and fish mostly streamers/wets with it, so you may not find this useful. I fish mainly for salmon and steelhead and use a Rio Versi-Tip 8 weight line, usually with one of the heavier sink tips attached. However, I've fished it with everything from the floating tip to the Type 8 sink tip, and agree with your assessment: it's a sweet casting and versatile rod. It can definitely handle heavy tips and big flies, and land big fish, with no problem. With it I've caught coho of 15+ lbs, my first steelhead, and this past March my first bonefish in Belize. In the salt I used a 8 weight Rio general purpose tropic line and liked it, although next time I might upline to a 9 weight.

It sounds like you're using your 5 weight for very different kinds of fishing, so I'm not sure if this will offer any insight. For what it's worth, I think it can handle a heavier taper/line.

Scott
Old 08-26-2013, 10:01 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I have fished my friends 690 VXP for several hours. Was using it to throw medium size streamers and it did the job with ease. He had it rigged up with SA Sharkskin and I felt that it was a great match. Only down side to Sharkskin is the noise going through the guides and it can tear up your skin.

-Chase
Old 08-27-2013, 06:26 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I use SA GPX Textured WF7 on my 7100-4 VXP. I chose this line because I'm generally fishing very close, and nymphing 90% of the time. The other 10% is streamer fishing.

I fished a guides 590 for an extended period and honestly don't know what line he had it paired with. In my opinion, however, the VXP 590 shouldn't need a heavy line and I certainly wouldn't consider going up a full line weight. Based on what you're doing with the rod, which is an all around rod, streamers, nymphs, dries, wets, I would look hard at Rio Gold. You can still find some of it on sale for around $50 because they changed it some (another topic in this forum somewhere - but I've not noticed a difference and I own old/new). Another line I'd consider is the Airflo Tactical WF5 (not Airflo Technical, more of a specialty taper).

As a side note, I'm surprised to hear about your experience with GPX line. I fish a lot of this line in various line weights. I've never had a single issue with SA GPX line, either textured or standard.

Good luck, I've found experimenting with a lot of different lines has helped me dial in my rods. It has been a rewarding part of my flyfishing education as I finally nail down the right taper for the right rod for the right situation. I'd look hard at a true 5 weight line on your VXP 590.

Cheers,
Mike.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:47 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I agree with chi; my VXP is a 9wt so take this for what it's worth but for casting long it likes a true 9wt line.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:02 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

If I am not mistaken, VPX is a modernized riff on RPL, more contemporary graphite but very similar taper. As such, like most Sage rods, it should not be over lined. As I have written before, I dislike SA'a GPX for its weight and clunky taper design, prone to unstable loop formation and hinging at distance. However, I am surprised by pre-mature coating deteriorization...SA is among the best coating formulator there is. I fished RPL #5 (and 8) for years and my preferred line after considerable switching about was SA'a Mastery Expert Distance Taper. They have recently "modernized" this line's taper to make it more delicate. OK, fine. That would make me want to compare it to RIO's Gold which fishes very effectively on Sage's current flagship 5-weight (RPL was the flagship in it day), ONE.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:50 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
If I am not mistaken, VPX is a modernized riff on RPL, more contemporary graphite but very similar taper. As such, like most Sage rods, it should not be over lined. As I have written before, I dislike SA'a GPX for its weight and clunky taper design, prone to unstable loop formation and hinging at distance. However, I am surprised by pre-mature coating deteriorization...SA is among the best coating formulator there is. I fished RPL #5 (and 8) for years and my preferred line after considerable switching about was SA'a Mastery Expert Distance Taper. They have recently "modernized" this line's taper to make it more delicate. OK, fine. That would make me want to compare it to RIO's Gold which fishes very effectively on Sage's current flagship 5-weight (RPL was the flagship in it day), ONE.
Good stuff, I haven't used rio gold yet on any of my rods, but that seems to be the common suggestion. def worth looking into and testing one out, I just figured the lighter line may effect my nymph and streamer delivery a bit, even so thanks for the suggestions fellas.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:03 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

NLL

" I have settled on the sage VXP 9' 5 weight and absolutely adore this stick from craftsmanship to raw performance in nymphing, dry fly, soft hackle swing, streamer stripping to single hand spey and roll casting, this rod does it all for me and does it better then any other rod I've owned."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you adore the 5wt rod with a 5wt line, why would you want to overload it
with a 6 ? Enjoy your good fortune of being completely satisfied with a rod while so many others seem to be frustrated and are constantly looking for a rod they can "adore".
You just need to find the right line. Best of luck.

Paul

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 09-13-2013, 04:51 PM

I have only used a GPX line and orvis access line on this rod (happen to be the EXACT same taper). Its a marvelous rod, however I have heard many anglers prefer to overline this rod, I would simply like to try something different to see if I can find a line combo I like more. Over the years I have found some rods work better for me underlined or overlined, I think single hand rods, like spey and switch rods, have larger "grain windows" than we think. experimenting with these different grain weights until you find the one thats right for your casting stroke is a lot of fun IMO And in some cases, can unlock a given rod model's full potential. Some people here may fiercly disagree with this, but again its my opinion and what works for me.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:33 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

NLL

Go for it !!!

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY