The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 06:28 AM
Business Member

tridentfly is on a distinguished road
Default Winston Boron III LS Fly Rod

Boron II is now a thing of the past. The last remaining Boron 2 rods (B2t and B2x two-handers) have been upgraded to Winston’s latest technology. While there hasn't been a massive change in the speys, the upgrade of the BIIt is one that will turn heads. It's not only higher performance, but it's quite a departure from Winston tradition.

For more information please read Winston Boron III LS Fly Rod Review / Trident Fly Fishing
Old 08-28-2013, 08:35 AM

sageandonion is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Winston Boron III LS Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tridentfly View Post
It's not only higher performance, but it's quite a departure from Winston tradition.
Forgive me, but having read the review (twice), I'm still wondering where the 'higher performance' is, over the BIIt. I have to quote this particularly inane passage of drivel:

Flex & Feel
The B3 LS is a replacement for the BIIt... ... itís a medium action and relatively full flexing rod. By comparison, itís higher performing than the B2t was, and a tad faster, but itís still in the same category. Itís got incredible presentation abilities and can get you closer to the big fish.

Sounds like the reviewer didn't actually get the rod wet, but was quoting this from the Winston bull5h1t manual.

Sorry, but if you're going to post a review this bad you might expect a little close scrutiny.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:16 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Who designed these new rods? Has Winston hired a rod designer yet to replace long gone and now deceased Sam Druckman? If they intend to rely on green coloration and nice cork work, they should dump the also ran B--- rods (OK, they could continue some of the better BIIIx rods for their customers that can't by Sage and Loomis rods because they don't like their "look") and stick to the venerable, Tom Morgan-designed WT's that are their signature product.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:11 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Anxiously waiting for the BiiTs to go on clearance. Might add another. I couldn't handle the reel seat on the III LS
Old 08-28-2013, 08:48 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

Fishiowa,

The BIITs are already on clearance, I have seen them from $450 to $530 depending on size and weight. Good luck!
Old 10-04-2013, 03:29 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Winston's new website is up and they show two options for the reel seat, the skeleton and their traditional burled wood and nickel silver. Winston lovers take a deep breath
Old 10-05-2013, 10:58 AM

coolhand is on a distinguished road

It is no secret that I am not a big Winston fan. I have not liked the BII series rods, the abrupt transition from the stiffer butt section and/or mid-body to very soft tip made the rods feel hingy and tracking suffered.

However, I cast the new BIII Ls the other day, and was impressed. The transition from butt and mid-section to the tip was much smoother and progressive. IMO, a big improvement over the BIIt. Similar to the upgrade from BIIx to BIIIx. The new BIII Ls is going to be in the running for an excellent small dry fly option, comparing favorably with the G. Loomis Whispercreek and NRX LP, Sage Circa, and Scott G2. It will just boil down to the individual angler's tastes as to which he/she likes best.

Winstonites don't despair, the new rod will come with the option of the new, high-tech style reel seat or the traditional old school, Winston reel seat. I would encourage BIIt enthusiasts to try the new BIII Ls before they knock it. It is a really nice little rod.