The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By 44runner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 09:26 PM

bass lord is on a distinguished road
Default 6 weight rod

Well I've ditched the idea of getting a dedicated bass rod, I just can't afford it. So I decided to get a six weight as my only rod.
I thought I had decided on the st.croix imperial but then I came across another rod. The wright and McGill boron 5xe, I was shocked when I first saw it. It looked so much nicer than any other of their rods, with beautiful accents, plus it comes with a great looking metal rod tube. So, dose anyone have any experience with this rod? Is it any good?
Old 08-29-2013, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: 6 weight rod

Hi,

I do not but I have had several St. Croix rods and they were nice casting rods. If there is a shop that has both of the rods I would suggest asking to try both and decide from there.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-30-2013, 12:56 AM

44runner is on a distinguished road

First off I have no experience with that rod, or any Wright and McGill rod for that matter.

I do have W&M fly box, bag and 9/10 Sabalos Reel. All the stuff I have of theirs is super nice so I would have no problem giving their rods a go.

My 6 weight setup is a Sage Flight outfit I got on clearance for cheap and it casts really nicely although it is one ugly rod. The reel it came with is equally ugly but works great too.

I hate to hear you can't afford to get the right gear. You will be more effective and have more fun if you have the right rod and line for the job. You can find great deals and you certainly don't need to buy the expensive stuff to catch fish. One of my favorite Rods I own is my Redington Classic Trout and it is the cheapest rod I own. I actually have 2 CTs in 3 and 4 weights.

Here are some great cheap setups that will get you out fishing:

Redington Pursuit 4-Piece Fly Rod with an Orvis Large Arbor Encounter Reel and Fly Line with Backing for a 4, 5, or 6 Weight

TFO Pro Series II 4-Piece Fly Rod with a Redington Pursuit Reel and Fly Line with Backing for a 4, 5, or 6 Weight

Greys GRXi+ 4-Piece Fly Rod with a Greys Large Arbor GX300 Reel and Fly line with Backing for a 5 or 6 Weight

I don't know what you fish for mostly and I hardly ever go after bass but I can tell you if you are after trout you would do well to add a 4 weight after you get your 6..
Old 08-30-2013, 01:26 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Great Post 44runner!

I sent you some Rep on that and wanted to say Hi. This is the first post from you I've seen but I've been away a lot this season and you must have joined during one of my absences. Your post is just plain great and I look forward to reading more from you.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-30-2013, 04:52 AM

44runner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Great Post 44runner!

I sent you some Rep on that and wanted to say Hi. This is the first post from you I've seen but I've been away a lot this season and you must have joined during one of my absences. Your post is just plain great and I look forward to reading more from you.

Ard
You're gonna make me blush!

Just helping out a newbie.

I love to see more people out enjoying the sport.

Even though fly fishing is typically thought of as a little more spendy version of fishing it doesn't have to make you broke. Deals are out there. I think I only own one rod and reel I didn't get on closeout and I still managed to squeak out a great deal on that setup (Redington Predator 8710-4 with a loaded Lamson Guru 3.5 shipped to my door for 369.95).

OP, when you catch a nice fish, no one will notice what rod or reel you used, they will be busy trying to see what fly you used.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:39 PM

dar is on a distinguished road

All of my graphite rods are St Croix. Two of which (both 4wts) are the newer Imperials and they are nice rods. Built in Park Falls WI.

My current 6wt is a St Croix 9' Legend Ultra 4 pc. I use this rod mostly for smallmouth bass in smaller rivers and when fishing smaller ponds for largemouth bass. It is also a dandy rod for white bass.

I have no experience with Wright & McGill, but I don't think you can go wrong with St Croix.

Dave