The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By caberguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 07:20 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Anybody know anything about Kensington rods?

I just won an eBay auction for this rod. I know it is a cheapie but that is okay. Now that I know my son likes to fly fish, I thought I would get him his own rod. Even though it might be junkie, it was worth it for $25.50 shipped, I think ($18.75 for the rod, 8.75 for shipping). Who knows...maybe I am wrong. I think I probably paid what it is worth. No more and no less.

It is a Kensington 7' 6" with the model being K-3664.

How do I figure out what line to put on it? My initial thought is that it might be a 4 but I don't know.

This brings up another question: even of this rod is marked for a certain weight, does that mean it is a foregone conclusion that what is says loads it correctly is the best weight for the rod?

I was thinking about sort of overloading it a bit. My boy is surprisingly good casting but still has trouble now and then.

I know this is no fantastic rod but it will do for a kid who will go maybe 8-10 times a year. Plus I let him use my Orvis Clearwater and I cringe because he is smacking every tree he can see as we are walking to the water. Once he dropped it in on a bunch of rocks which doesn't sound so bad until you realize we were walking thru some moderate brush and he was holding it above his head--and he is 6' 4" tall. In other words, he is a kid! LOL!!! I don't want anything that is really nice just yet.

Plus I want to get this other guy I work with to go on some streams with me and, from experience, the shorter rod works better. It isn't like we need to cast 50-feet or anything there and with the tress all around, I think he will be better off borrowing this, especially since he has never fly fished in constricted areas and he is not the most patient fellow. (I am trying hard to change that! He still thinks it is all about the number of fish you land.)

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,
ray
Old 08-30-2013, 07:36 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody know anything about Kensington rods?

Hey Ray,

I know nothing of Kensington rods, but looking at the model number can sometimes (not always) tell you something. K-3664 I'd take that as a 3wt 6'6 rod with 4 pieces OR a 3 piece 6'6 4wt. You mentioned it's a 7'6?

I think you're on the right track. Try it with a 4wt line and see how it feels and go from there.

Great to see the two of you enjoying fly fishing together!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:55 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Jason,

It was advertised as a 7' 6" but maybe it is a 6' 6". You are right--those number line up!! If this thing is even alright, I think it will be worth it.

He is away at college right now and there is no way I can get him to budge from his precious Penn State Blue Band but the fall IS the time to hit those streams up there. This is his senior year and it is important to let him do the things he will never have the chance to do again, so I don't push him.

Do you know if International Angler has various lines spooled on reels so I could go in the parking lot to see what weight will load the rod? Seems that it would be possible they could do something like that.

By the way, you were right: this is a slippery slope! I wondered how in the heck you could end up with what? 17 rods? Now I see why. haha.

This thing will see some use once I get the other guy I am pushing onto a stream. He has never fished a stream in his life and I think he is going to be surprised. I just need to convince him that he does NOT need a pair of waders or even hip boots to try it. He thinks he has to have waders and is afraid to pull the trigger because he thinks "what if I don't like it?"

He will like it. He claims he loves the outdoors. How can he NOT like it? Thing is he has zero vacation left, so we will have to go on a weekend when there will be more people wherever we go. I guess we will end up at Dunbar Creek because he has heard others talk about it and would like to see it. THAT place will certainly have traffic on it on the weekend but it is better than not going at all.

ray
Old 08-30-2013, 09:33 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Ray,

I'm not sure if IA has different lines spooled up to test cast, it may be worth a call or email to them. When the rod comes, try it with your #4 line and see what you think. I've got a #4 & #5 lined up as practice lines that you're welcome to try them with.

Fall is a great time to fish but I like to let the wild fish do their thing so when I get back to them in the spring, there are more of them It's certainly a time in life your son will never get back so it's best to let him make the choices. There will be plenty of time for you two to fish.

For $25, it's hard to go wrong even if the rod ends up relegated to backup duties or one to hand off to a buddy when you introduce somebody new to the sport. Waders aren't always needed, though sometimes they are. Introducing somebody new to it, there's no need though. What he may realize is that if he ends up enjoying it as you anticipate, is that to do it more effectively, they're really really helpful.

The slope became even more slippery, I've added a couple more rigs to do some salmon fishing!
Old 08-30-2013, 11:11 AM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough

You can use the common cents system to figure out what line will work with it... her's a link to the sticky on this forum: Rod weights and Common Cents
busbus likes this.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberguy View Post
You can use the common cents system to figure out what line will work with it... her's a link to the sticky on this forum: Rod weights and Common Cents
This is really great information. Thanks!!!