The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 04:06 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Scott Radian

Ok, this wierd, I'm down in Idaho running a field trial and I came a day early to fish Silver Creek with my buddy Al Luray who lives here. Unfortunately it blew a gale all day so fishing was tough, but I did get to visit Silver Creek Outfitters in Sun Valley and check out their fly rods.

So anyway, lucky for me, they carry Scott, Sage and Winston and have both the Sage One and Scott Radian on hand in nine foot five weight. I got to cast them both. What's funny is, when I casted the Radian against my Z-Axis, I like the Radian much better, but when I casted the One against the Radian, and I have read the Z and One are similar, I liked both, maybe even the One a little better.

Did I overreact when I tested them up in Montana? I need to try my Z-Axis against the other two to be sure.

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
I hear the grip is real short ,is this true? I was also told it was a copy of Sage one ,and not a good one art that. However I have no experience or haven't seen myself to compare.
The grip is about the same length, similar full wells design. I don't think they copied the One perse, except to have a fast action rod as their top of the line rod. I like the Radian a lot, it is also getting glowing reviews, I also like the One much more than I thought I would.

John
Old 09-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

I bought a Radian when they were scarce and took it to the Green River. It is a great rod for long line, but did not like it at all for short line fishing. It cast well on the grass, but fishing it was a whole other story. Sold it and added a couple more Classic Trouts, and a bunch of cash back in my wallet.
fly_guy12955 and cab like this.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:41 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuch View Post
I have been fishing a Radian 9'-0 4wt and 9'-0 5wt since the week they were released. My thoughts are that it's a great rod and lives up to the hype. make no mistake that it is a fast action, about as fast as the S4 but definitely does have much more feel to it. I would put the feel about right in between my G2 and my S4.
Kuch also made the following observation about the Radian in a reel thread...

"As for others rods to compare, in the last few years I have owned and fished these fast action rods. Winston B3X, Sage One and Scott S4. In my opinion it fishes closest to the B3X in terms of feel but with more power if that makes sense. I never fished a Sage One that I liked at all. The S4 had no feel but lots of power. The Radian encompasses a lot in terms of casting feel and power in my opinion. The 5 and 6 line Radians really shine."

I'm hoping he chimes in to give more of his thoughts on the 6 wt version, casting effort, and how the feel compares to that of a B3X. A rod with G2 touch and S4 power that's comfortable to cast all day would be my ultimate rod for sure!
Old 10-09-2013, 12:07 PM

coolhand is on a distinguished road

Got to throw the 9',#4 and 9',#5 Radian yesterday. Super smooth! Scott claims that it is "Fast with Feel". I think that it delivers in spades. Very light in physical weight and swing weight, fast recovery, but not stiff overall. Nice trick.

As far as comparing the Radian to other "Fast" rods. The Radian seems most similar to the Winston BIIIx and G. Loomis NRX LP, but is smoother and more progressive, and does seem to have a bit more power than both of those. I wouldn't put it in the same category as the Sage One, Hardy Zenith or G. Loomis NRX - it isn't nearly as stiff and its short game is phenomenal compared to those. Not sure that it has the power of these stiffer sticks, but didn't get to throw any big rigs or streamers on it.

I am intrigued enough that I want to buy one, fish it and put it through its paces. Really great first impression as far as casting goes. If you haven't tried one, I think that it would be worth your time to give it a fling.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:34 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

I have only lawn cast the radian, not fished it, and when I did it was just a leader w/ no fly. I Also was using an orvis access line which is lighter than AFTTA standard so it didn't load the rod properly. I'm feeling a bit gipped that I didn't get an accurate reading.

Coolhand; you would say that the radian has a tip as soft as bIIIx or NRx LP? That would mean it has a soft enough tip for close presentations an enough power for nymphs and streamers at distance. Like I said the line I castes it with was too light and therefore didn't load the rod properly, and i only cast it for a frw minutes. But if why your saying is true, I need to get my hands on the radian again.

Sounds like some of you had a different experience, the tip is too stiff?

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:54 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Kuch and All, Did you test cast Radian in the 8 1/2'/#4 size? This is a spring creek configuration near and dear to me and though I have several very fine rods in this size I am perpetually seeking the ultimate iteration.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewlushlife View Post
I have only lawn cast the radian, not fished it, and when I did it was just a leader w/ no fly. I Also was using an orvis access line which is lighter than AFTTA standard so it didn't load the rod properly. I'm feeling a bit gipped that I didn't get an accurate reading.

Coolhand; you would say that the radian has a tip as soft as bIIIx or NRx LP? That would mean it has a soft enough tip for close presentations an enough power for nymphs and streamers at distance. Like I said the line I castes it with was too light and therefore didn't load the rod properly, and i only cast it for a frw minutes. But if why your saying is true, I need to get my hands on the radian again.

Sounds like some of you had a different experience, the tip is too stiff?

Any insight would be appreciated.
IMO, the tip on the Radian is not as soft as the BIIIx or NRX LP. But certainly not stiff by any means. The Radian is no where as stiff as a Sage One or Hardy Zenith. It seems that it has a more smooth progression of softening towards the tip than the BIIIx and NRX LP.

I cast the #4 with a S/A Trout Taper (makes a beautiful, soft presentation close) and the #5 with a S/A Textured Trout Taper (a little stronger turnover and delivery). This rod does NOT need a GPX or similar 1/2 line heavy taper to load in close. I would definitely give this rod another try, if possible try a couple of different lines. I think that the S/A Trout and Textured Trout, the Rio Gold, and the new Airflo Super-Dri Elite might be good candidates to match this rod.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:33 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Coolhand, An interesting post especially in including the lines you used. As I fish (in 9'/#5) both ONE (with SA Expert Distance Taper) as my super technical dry fly scalpel and Zenith (with Gold) as my progressive, relatively soft tipped, intuitive casting "All Rounder" and see them as very different big river dry fly rods; I now wonder where Radian fits in. It's tip is softer than Zenith? I mean BIIIx is good as a Winston attempt at a technical rod but is slow recovering compared to the above two. If the new Scott is that compliant I fail to see how it can achieve the minimized oscillation in tip recovery that has been claimed for it. Z-Axis, with its soft tip, generates surprising line speed and very good recovery for a soft tipped rod but therein lies the reason ONE replaced it. Granted, I would be the first to agree ONE is not for everybody, it takes focus and full engagement to fish it even at 3/4 throttle, hence my opting for Zenith under more casual circumstances. And I don't get NRX LP softening either any more than I get why it is available in green; step up to the plate with an NRX 9'/#4 (with SA Textured Trout(Stalker)) in gray and blue and stroke a homer right into the bleacher seat you aimed for.

I anxiously await the opportunity to get a couple of Radians on the water...I like "feel" and I like Scott but won't settle for even a fractional diminution in compound, articulate presentation performance.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:43 PM

The Radian is faster recovering and smoother than the BIIIx and NRX LP. Although it is not "stiff" feeling. Hard to articulate, exactly...

I don't like the BIIIx as it is lacking "something" for me - really just a lack of horsepower for me. I bought a NRX LP in 9', #5 - jury is still out for me, although I'm afraid it has the same limitations as the BIIIx. I haven't found the magic line to make that rod sing for me.

I prefer the standard NRX 9', #5 for a "swiss army knife", general 5 weight. But, it has it's issues as well , relatively heavy physical/swing weight, and very avg. short game. The One is a lightweight cannon of a fly rod, but I relegate it's use to nymphing, streamers, stillwater fishing and heavier hopper/dropper rigs. It just has too much power for general dry fly fishing. Maybe that is what a #4 is for anyway.

The Radian definitely is in the running for the mythic perfect dry fly 5 weight. I didn't feel the power in the butt section like I do with the One or NRX, but it does have a much better short game than either of those rods. I am going to have to spend more time with it, before I make a final judgement. Right now, I will leave it as intriguing option...
Old 10-09-2013, 06:47 PM

freak is on a distinguished road

just ordered a Radian 9'5wt yesterday, should be here tomm. I've going to pair it with a Rio Gold Line and Allen Kracken Reel.