The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Scott Radian (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/329818-scott-radian.html)

onthehunt 08-30-2013 10:46 PM

Scott Radian

Just starting a thread for those who can provide insight on this new stick.

redwing 09-01-2013 11:01 AM

Re: Scott Radian

I just test cast a 4wt last Friday. Nice rod light and stiff. You need at lest 40ft of line out to get the rod to load. I think not a close in rod. I own 2 scott G's 5 and 7wt. I like the feel better but that's just me. Nicely finish rod.

Tom

fly_guy12955 09-04-2013 11:37 PM

Deleted post.

jslo 09-05-2013 03:43 AM

I cast it about 2 weeks ago. It's a really nice stick, but for me the action is a little too fast. I prefer medium action rods, and if I lean one way it's slow. I really liked the radian, but if I were to buy one I'd have to find a different tempo than I'm used to. My slower tempo was not loading the rod. It's a classic Scott though, really nice rod.

glacierjohn 09-05-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwing (Post 587456)
I just test cast a 4wt last Friday. Nice rod light and stiff. You need at lest 40ft of line out to get the rod to load. I think not a close in rod. I own 2 scott G's 5 and 7wt. I like the feel better but that's just me. Nicely finish rod.

Tom

I cast the six weight 906/4 about a month ago, the only place to test it was on the city street right in front of the shop so I had to cast short between parked cars and under a power line. I thought that six weight cast well 25' to 40', couldn't cast farther than that due to limited space. I'm going to call the shop to find out when they have an extra person to hold down the fort so I can walk up to the park with a salesman and put the five weight Radian through its paces alongside my 590 Z-Axis.

glacierjohn 09-05-2013 07:15 PM

Wow! I just got a full workout with the 905/4 Radian alongside my 590 Z-Axis and 904/4 Scott G. I am now officially selling my Z-Axis to buy the Radian. The guide and I both cast the Z-Axis to start and it worked just fine, then my 4 wt. G series for fun then the Radian. I had three reels with different lines; a SA GPX WF 5 wt., a Wulff TT 5-6 and a SA Mastery Trout Shark Skin. The Radian was fantastic with the Shark Skin, good with the triangle taper and just so-so with the GPX.

It cast short, medium and long with ease, was very accurate, and though not a G Series, it does have feel. It's hard to analyze and put into words why I like it better, it just is very apparent when you try both rods side by side. It feels lighter in the hand and though it is about as fast, or faster than the Z-Axis, you can feel the rod load better. I was casting to a leaf here and a grass clump there and I was able to hit spots consistently easier with the Radian.

Anybody want to buy a slightly used 9' 5 wt. four piece Z-Axis?

John

billyspey 09-06-2013 06:23 AM

I hear the grip is real short ,is this true? I was also told it was a copy of Sage one ,and not a good one art that. However I have no experience or haven't seen myself to compare.

troutnut4 09-06-2013 08:04 AM

Check out the member classifieds there is one for sale and looks like a steal if that is what you are looking for.

glacierjohn 09-06-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyspey (Post 588986)
I hear the grip is real short ,is this true? I was also told it was a copy of Sage one ,and not a good one art that. However I have no experience or haven't seen myself to compare.

The grip felt fine to me, it was a classic full wells and seemed to provide a bit more leverage under my thumb. I've never seen a Sage One so can't comment on how similar they are.

John

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by troutnut4 (Post 589005)
Check out the member classifieds there is one for sale and looks like a steal if that is what you are looking for.

Thanks, wow, that is a good deal. If that was a five or six I'd be all over it.

kuch 09-12-2013 12:37 PM

I have been fishing a Radian 9'-0 4wt and 9'-0 5wt since the week they were released. My thoughts are that it's a great rod and lives up to the hype. make no mistake that it is a fast action, about as fast as the S4 but definitely does have much more feel to it. I would put the feel about right in between my G2 and my S4. The fit and finish of the rod is very nice and I also like the full wells grip. For those people who compare it to a Sage ONE, I have found the Radian far superior in tippet protection and casting feel. I would encourage anyone to give the Radian a test cast. I don't think this rod will disappoint many people.