The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 11:50 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sage Z-Axis question

Is yours the 9' 4wt as well ?[/QUOTE]

Yes it is.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:55 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
I've fished it a few times this year, I will admit I found myself grabbing my legend ultra more this spring. I find I can roll cast the LU a little easier in small streams where I don't have much floating line out. Although I have used my ZXL , Circa alot more this year than my TXL rods. So possibly my rhythm has slowed.

I did find the leader would turn over if I really leaned on the rod , but those casts wound up in a violent bounce back when line ran out, ie needed 15' more feet of line out to soften the bounce back.

My line has a little split about 10' up from the welded loop. I bet a little Loon UV knot sense would do the trick but its irritating to have a flaw in a $80 line that's been used twice. I might send it to SA and see what they have to say. I have used the rod with SA mastery trout stalker and it just was to light for the rod. I had to really horse it around to make it semi functional
Sounds like spending more time with the Z may be in order. Think of it as yet another puzzle to figure out with fly fishing. I know that when I'm on my annual spring trout trip and am bouncing between rods of different actions(SLT, ZXL, ZAxis) it takes me a bit to get used to the stroke on them. It makes me really think when I'm just starting out after having changed a rod, then it gets better.

As for your line, I've used the Knotsense to repair it in the field and it works OK but I don't know that I'd consider it a permanent fix. Either go the route of sending back to SA or fix it yourself by looking at the link I sent you. What happens when you apply the heat to the line is it melts, so you can repair that gash in it. Having the tube around it allows it to keep shape. It's a quick fix to be honest. If you prefer, send me the line and I'll repair it for you.

I fish GPX Textured on my 490 and I've got an old Grand line on my 590. I like them both well enough but I have not tried Gold on them. I know Sweetandsalt prefers Gold on them, but I'm pretty sure I ain't the caster he is either. Be forewarned, the NEW version of grand is 1 full line size up as noted on Rio's website, I'd look for an old Grand on closeout if you want to go that route. There are also Gold versions on closeout as well.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:28 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Sounds like spending more time with the Z may be in order. Think of it as yet another puzzle to figure out with fly fishing. I know that when I'm on my annual spring trout trip and am bouncing between rods of different actions(SLT, ZXL, ZAxis) it takes me a bit to get used to the stroke on them. It makes me really think when I'm just starting out after having changed a rod, then it gets better.

As for your line, I've used the Knotsense to repair it in the field and it works OK but I don't know that I'd consider it a permanent fix. Either go the route of sending back to SA or fix it yourself by looking at the link I sent you. What happens when you apply the heat to the line is it melts, so you can repair that gash in it. Having the tube around it allows it to keep shape. It's a quick fix to be honest. If you prefer, send me the line and I'll repair it for you.

I fish GPX Textured on my 490 and I've got an old Grand line on my 590. I like them both well enough but I have not tried Gold on them. I know Sweetandsalt prefers Gold on them, but I'm pretty sure I ain't the caster he is either. Be forewarned, the NEW version of grand is 1 full line size up as noted on Rio's website, I'd look for an old Grand on closeout if you want to go that route. There are also Gold versions on closeout as well.
Thank you for the offer to fix my line, I really appreciate it.

I think I will wait to see what SA has to say to my email. I hate to say it but I probably won't have an opportunity to use the rod for a few months. I think between now and Halloween there might be 1 week where I don't have to travel for work.

All work and no play makes me a grumpy 40 year old fart.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:11 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
Thank you for the offer to fix my line, I really appreciate it.

I think I will wait to see what SA has to say to my email. I hate to say it but I probably won't have an opportunity to use the rod for a few months. I think between now and Halloween there might be 1 week where I don't have to travel for work.

All work and no play makes me a grumpy 40 year old fart.
No worries, I'd be happy to do it if all else fails. Sounds like a rough few months, hopefully you'll find time on the water on the weekends at least.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:09 PM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

How's the cork? Isn't that the ultimate decider on a rod?

Sorry for the sarcasm, it is bleeding over from another thread.

In all seriousness, try slowing down a little bit and opening up your stroke. It may be the flies are not having enough time to unwind and your loops might be too tight.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:41 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

I have this rod also and think it is a great all around trout rod. I have previously used the GPX on it. I'm currently using the Sage Performance Taper II. Supposed to be designed for these rods. Both lines work well but the Sage line is online closeout priced for $35 + $5 shipping. I just bought a backup and the guy said he has half a semi truck full of them. I use it on a 486 ONE also.

I'm with the others thinking you will regret it if you sell that rod.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:48 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

The #5 Z-Axis is a fine rod, I fish a RIO Gold on it but SA's Expert Distance Taper or Textured Trout Stalker would be fine too. I too speculate that your leader butt is ill matched to your line causing ineffective transfer of energy. I have striven to describe this issue in the Line Forum...look for the recent thread on technical leaders.
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:21 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I fish a z-axis 9ft 4wt and i love it i use an Allen ATS wf 4wt lline floating and fish 3 nymph riggs with an indicator but i cut the loop off the line and use a hand tied leader with a 20lb but section never have a problem turning over the small flies or the heavy rigs .I love mine.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:52 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Rio made the gold line to match Sage Z axis I fish a 9.5 4 wt Z with a trout stalker for indicator nymphs rig had no issues , I always buy 3 X leaders thin tye down to the final Tippett size for good turn over .Rio old packaged leaders list on back butt to tippet size 3X .024 , 5x 0.022 makes a difference in turn over power . If you are fishing small streams and not casting 30 ft or more not getting benefit of the head to load the rod you might get better result going up a line size for short distance cast for more turn over. Rio grand is a line 1/2 size heaver than a gold in same weight line. SA GPX is only 1/4 heaver than gold.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:38 PM

markg52 will become famous soon enough

I'm using Rio Grand on my 904-4 Z-axis. Works great for everything I throw, ie, from tiny dries to double bead-head nymph's/split shot/indicator. Usually have a 5x or 6x Rio leader tied on.