The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 10:20 PM

stoble is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Classic Trout is back....

I purchased a CT 5wt for my first fly rod. Any recommendations for an inexpensive reel and line for this rod?
Old 09-06-2013, 01:35 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoble View Post
I purchased a CT 5wt for my first fly rod. Any recommendations for an inexpensive reel and line for this rod?
I'm not sure what is "inexpensive" to you, but a great match is the Redington Drift 5/6 at $99.95. This reel was designed with the CT in mind.

Dennis
Old 09-06-2013, 07:17 AM

jgros001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoble View Post
I paired mine with the Grey's G Series reel - at $55 you can't go wrong. Has served me well this season but can't comment on real longevity.

Greys Fly - Products - Reels - Reels - G-Series Reel

Looks and sounds right to me on this rod. My first rod was the CT 4wt.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:30 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Just received a 8'-6" 4pc 4wt CT from a forum member. Looking forward to casting it today. The action seems very nice, although a bit slower than what I'm used to.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:15 AM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
Just received a 8'-6" 4pc 4wt CT from a forum member. Looking forward to casting it today. The action seems very nice, although a bit slower than what I'm used to.
Axle.......let us know what you think...........as an old fart "greybeard", so to speak, I grew up with the slower actions, and I still enjoy them today, especially my 8'6" three weight!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 09-06-2013, 11:37 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

i love my CT's

Have 8654 and 7634. Great rods, and powerful. I was casting size 8 gold head buggers with my 3wt across a stiff breeze, and it was easy.

These are "GREAT" rods for the money.
fly_guy12955, plecain and yonder like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 09-06-2013, 12:27 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
i love my CT's

Have 8654 and 7634. Great rods, and powerful. I was casting size 8 gold head buggers with my 3wt across a stiff breeze, and it was easy.

These are "GREAT" rods for the money.
Can't argue with that. I have three, for a total, including shipping, of $208.
fly_guy12955 and yonder like this.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:27 PM

lacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nice

My wife and I have 5 of them, various weights (3's, 4's and 5), purchased at various price points, but probably at an average of less than $100 each. Outstanding rods.

Bob
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:20 AM

preast is on a distinguished road

Hey okbow. To compare the CT and Pursuit...

I have and love the CT 763. Then I wanted something for longer casts in a lighter weight rod. I got the CT 863 and found it to be a little too limber for what I was going for. Still a good rod but a very very medium action on the long 3wt. So I bought a Pursuit 480-4 and did not like it. Very fast progressive taper. Felt like a 6wt in the lower half and a 2wt in the upper half. Nice enough at short distances but once you got 35' out, it just seems to fold. I unloaded that one too.

Funny thing is I wound up with a Cabela's 3Forks 480-4. I gotta say it's a really great fishing and casting rod. Maybe it's the length/weight or the kind of fishing I usually do but I end up using this rod more than any other.

edit: I should add that I own, or have owned and fished a number of premium rods as a comparison.

Last edited by preast; 09-07-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:28 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
Axle.......let us know what you think...........as an old fart "greybeard", so to speak, I grew up with the slower actions, and I still enjoy them today, especially my 8'6" three weight!!
I tossed some line with it yesterday evening with my boss (who's gotten the fly fishing bug now). Definitely a slower action. Once I figured out what the rod wanted from me, it was not too bad. I think it's mostly me and my sloppy casting. I tail alot unless I make myself stop and let the rod do the work.

Next to his TFO Lefty Kreh Pro 8wt, it's a wand...and a floppy one at that.

I actually bought it because it was a decent deal on a rod I've always wanted to cast...I needed it like I needed another hole in my head. I'll have to consider it's future. Perhaps cast it next to my St. Croix Avid in 5wt and see what's what.