The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 07:21 PM

gregnash will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Classic Trout is back....

So I got out this morning and played with the CT. All I can say is WOW!! This rod did everything I asked it too, was accurate like i couldnt believe and was throwing line just as far as my med/med-fast action Crosswater. I was quite amazed at what I was able to do with the rod, the amount of line I could shoot without only a single short false cast, and the amount of line it could easily hold in the air. It was an absolute pleasure to fish it and feeling the rod load was awesome.

Coincidently, I also brought in the biggest fish I have caught yet. Looked to be a 14-15"+ Tiger trout. He had me fooled as he didn't take off or fight much until I got him close and saw him turn to run into the weeds. I literally said.... HOLY $*%^!!
Can't wait to land something bigger with it and really see how the rod reacts!
Click the image to open in full size.
stl_geoff and fly_guy12955 like this.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:32 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

YEAaaa ! Trout and a CT..that's fishing !

Mike
Old 09-13-2013, 07:48 PM

okbow68 has a spectacular aura aboutokbow68 has a spectacular aura about

Sweet I'm headed to the river with mine in the morning, won't be any tigers just rainbows and browns. Those are great though!
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:10 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I took four fly rods to Yellowstone this past week......and only used my 9 foot, 5 weight Redington CT!!!! There was no need for anything else........hoppers, hopper droppers, midges, gnats.........and big fish......it doesn't get any better!!!!
fly_guy12955 likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 09-14-2013, 08:59 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

CT rods on sale now for $74.99 at Cabelas (online only). Mine arrived yesterday. I was thrilled at $100.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:09 AM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough

Just one more CT, I swear. I don't have a problem, I can stop any time I want.

Yeah, pulled the trigger on a 2wt from Cabelas. Had been thinking about picking up some kind of 2wt all summer, just couldn't resist. That will join my 4wt and 5wt Classic Trouts (among other things).
yonder likes this.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:24 PM

gregnash will become famous soon enough

Got out and fished it again this morning.. Even in 5-10mph winds I was still able to easily cast 30-40' pretty accurately! Landed a small brook, a very nice sized, beautiful rainbow (that I am pissed I dropped before I could get the camera out and then was flipping a hopper/dropper in a pool at the outlet and landed a 14" tiger that came out of nowhere to grab the hare ear nymph I was using.

This rod does nothing but amaze me and is an absolute pleasure to cast. I am definitely sold and LOVE this rod!
Old 09-15-2013, 05:02 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberguy View Post
Just one more CT, I swear. I don't have a problem, I can stop any time I want.

Yeah, pulled the trigger on a 2wt from Cabelas. Had been thinking about picking up some kind of 2wt all summer, just couldn't resist. That will join my 4wt and 5wt Classic Trouts (among other things).
I couldn't resist, either. I now have CT's in 2 wt-5 wt.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:28 PM

okbow68 has a spectacular aura aboutokbow68 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by okbow68 View Post
Sweet I'm headed to the river with mine in the morning, won't be any tigers just rainbows and browns. Those are great though!
Fished hard all day yesterday with the new CT. Awesome rod no doubt, can't wait to go back.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:20 PM

jastrout is on a distinguished road

I am a huge fan of this series as fishing rods that simply are functional in design while being affordable to the majority of fly fisherman . Trust me I have a sweet collection of high end graphite and fiberglass . So I spent some lawn casting time with my CT 8'6" 3 & 8'6"5 Wght vs my classic Winston WT and IM6 Versions. Please believe that my Winston rods will never ever leave my home BUT damn these CT'S rods while certainly not close esthetics are worthy to be rods that cast very similar . My point is while I love high end gear and certainly am crazy buying that level rods there are some sweet less costly options that any of us can fish but more importantly allow the novice to start with. I have given my four Classic Trout rods to our local TU chapter as gifts for young guys and girls to start out in this great hobby. At The price point it is well worth it.