The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 12:26 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Classic Trout is back....

Took my 8 1/2ft , 3wt CT to the lake today, left the T and T rocket launcher home. Had a LOT more fun being in 'touch' and feeling my casting and ya know what, I caught just as many fish too. Quite a few gills and even one large-mouth about 14 inches long. Tossed a lot of dries, then switched and was tossing a cone head size 10 woolly bugger with no prob. With the CT 3wt, I DEFINITELY am not just limited to dry flies.
The CT is one of the easiest rods to roll cast I've used...and the'Fish On' feel is just amazing.

There is just nothing to not like about these rods.

Mike
yonder likes this.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:38 AM

44runner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
CT rods on sale now for $74.99 at Cabelas (online only). Mine arrived yesterday. I was thrilled at $100.
Last thing I needed was another fly rod, but I do love my Classic Trouts.

I ordered an 8'6" 5wt CT to go with my 8' 4wt and 7'6" 3wt.

I'm sure it will be as awesome as the first two.
yonder likes this.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:55 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

The 8'6" 5 is pretty nice, thats the first one I bought. I had it out the other day, it took some adjusting of my casting stroke, compaired to all of my sage rods, its super slow.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-17-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
The 8'6" 5 is pretty nice, thats the first one I bought. I had it out the other day, it took some adjusting of my casting stroke, compaired to all of my sage rods, its super slow.
Yeah, I am pretty jazzed about it. I'm sure it will now be my go to 5wt. Anyone that has read any of my posts knows what a CT fan I am. I am now pondering a 2wt, but I don't currently have a 2 so that would mean I need new line and at least a spare spool for my 2/3 Streamline reel....

I think its a sickness....
Old 09-17-2013, 02:05 PM

floorabove is on a distinguished road

I have 8'6 4 wt CT and a 7'6" 3 wt CT, going to add a 5wt CT, ..... What would you get the 9' or the 8'6" 5wt?

I am leaning towards the 9'.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:09 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by floorabove View Post
I have 8'6 4 wt CT and a 7'6" 3 wt CT, going to add a 5wt CT, ..... What would you get the 9' or the 8'6" 5wt?

Because you have the 8' 6" 4 wt, I'd go longer and get the 9' 5 wt. It will make the rods just a little more different.

theclymb.com still has the 9' 5 wt for $70, but you may want to spend the extra $5 at Cabela's. It'd certainly be easier to return at Cabela's if you have to do that.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floorabove View Post

It depends what kind of water you fish. I tend toward the shorter rods on my lighter gear because I fish a lot of smaller water. I started my life in fly fishing with a 5wt 9'6" and it was a fun setup that caught me tons of fish but always hated how long it was.

On the flip side when I got in to salt water I bought a short 8wt for my first rod because that was what I was used to. I quickly realized maybe that wasn't the best idea because there really are no obstructions to worry about and a longer rod makes longer casts easier and now I found myself needing those super long casts.

Last edited by 44runner; 09-18-2013 at 03:31 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:53 PM

floorabove is on a distinguished road

Plecain and 44... Thanks for the opinions, and two different perspectives now I am going to have to think on this
Old 09-22-2013, 04:52 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I got my 2wt today. Did some yard casting with some Allen ATS 3wt line I had hanging around. What a fantastic little rod. I can honestly say that owning the 5wt first, I am even more pleased with the 2wts action. If I would have owned the 2wt first, then bought the 5wt, i'd have been pretty disappointed.

I took the rod down to the storm drain to try and pick a couple little sunfish to add to my aquarium, well an hour later I was having to pry myself from the creek with a bucket of little sunfish. Best fish was I was trying to high stick some little fish from under a rock, and this real nice ( for the creek ) green sunfish shot out and ate the fly. it actually caused drag to make sound for a moment. Ended up being a solid 6-7" fish. That was a ton of fun. I don't know why I don't fish light rods more often, they are a blast.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-30-2013, 08:23 PM

bwf is on a distinguished road

Sweet series...cortland 444 peach good fit. rio gold too.