The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 11:41 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I'm warming up to my Z-Axis...

Thanks for the update, John. Regarding your comment on the speed of the Radian...did you find it much faster then your Z-Axis? I was hoping it would be somewhere between the G2 and the S4 but I guess that was wishful thinking. If I remember correctly the S4 was not as fast as the Z-Axis, but it was so stiff it was hard to get an accurate read.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:03 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Good topic, John! And good thread that I missed somehow- though I'll have to read the rest tomorrow - got to get some sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet&salt
Glacier, Get into the feel of the LINE as opposed to the feel of the flex of the ROD.
Sweet has nailed it, and you are already getting used to it. Your line hand is as important as your rod hand and tells you what's going on with the line itself.

Once you get used to feeling line tension during the cast, you'll start equating it with line velocity, loop shape, how much you can shoot into the backcast etc. etc.

Before you know it, you'll forget all about casting and just aim for spots, a soft layout just above the water and so forth. A rod you like today may not be the rod you'd choose next year for the same purpose. Nothing is static.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:13 AM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
Thanks for the update, John. Regarding your comment on the speed of the Radian...did you find it much faster then your Z-Axis? I was hoping it would be somewhere between the G2 and the S4 but I guess that was wishful thinking. If I remember correctly the S4 was not as fast as the Z-Axis, but it was so stiff it was hard to get an accurate read.
Fast-slow wasn't really the issue. Two things; 1) I'll be the first to admit that after a lifetime of fly fishing, I'm more a "seat of the pants" caster than real good at analyzing every technical detail of materials, tapers and why a rod cast the way it does. For good or bad I have learned to cast a certain way, can cast most rods, fast-medium-slow, short-far, wind or calm, but with all that I have developed a feel and preference for a nice medium action rod like the Scott G or G2. 2) It's obvious to me that many on this board feel the same way, there are very experienced people who prefer the One over everything, others who hate the One, same with Z-Axis, Winston, S4 and on and on.

I'll try to open my mind a bit and work on feeling the line as opposed to the rod, but after all these years, there is an almost unconscious comfort in feeling the rod load in my right hand as I cast. Both the Scott Radian and Sage One do this, even though both are considered fast rods. I know the Z-Axis has a softer tip than the One, and it may well be slower overall, but, and it just may be me, I don't get that same feedback in my right hand when casting it. That said, I fished it on a full day in august, challenging low water and spooky fish. I was able to cast short and long, accurately putting flies where they needed to be and caught a lot of nice 14-22" trout. As far as doing what it needed to do, the Z-Axis performed flawlessly, and I will admit fighting fish with it was fun.

Bottom line is each individual needs to cast these rods side by side and see what feels best to you. Sorry I couldn't help more.

John