The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 07:04 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough
Default I'm warming up to my Z-Axis...

I have written in the past how I was mildly disappointed with my new 905 Z-Axis compared to the 8 1/2' 5 wt SP it replaced. I am kind of medium action guy by nature, Scott G series and Sage SP, but thought I aught to own a faster five weight for windy conditions and larger flies, so I went for the Z-Axis. I'm still considering selling it and buying the new Scott Radian, but after one awesome day fishing the Big Hole where the Sage did everything I asked of it and caught a lot of big fish, and reading the other Z-Axis thread where there seem to be a lot of fans, I'm rethinking my position.

My only issue with the Z-Axis is it's comparative lack of feel, but I think that just goes with the territory of fast action rods, unless you believe the Scott hype of their new "fast with feel" Radian. I briefly cast a Radian and my first reaction was that it's much closer to the Z-Axis than it's G Series roots. I'm going to try and cast it alongside my Z-Axis before I decide.

John
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:10 PM

swampdonkey is a jewel in the roughswampdonkey is a jewel in the roughswampdonkey is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: I'm warming up to my Z-Axis...

Give it time. It's an awesome rod. Wish I had grabbed another when they were discontinued and cheap on eBay.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
Give it time. It's an awesome rod. Wish I had grabbed another when they were discontinued and cheap on eBay.
+1 for what swamp says. TheZ-Axis is a beautiful fly rod.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:51 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I'll be honest, the first time I cast a Z-Axis I fished Jaybo41's 590-4 and I absolutely loved it. It was such an upgrade over the Sage Launch that I was fishing at the time. But I'm a 4 weight guy where I trout fish most of the time, and I bought the 490-4. When I test cast it before buying it, I liked the ZXL so much more, but bought the Z-Axis because that is what I really wanted. On my first trip with it I hated it so much I wanted to sell it. Now I have a couple of them (and I did ultimately buy that ZXL to boot) Great fly rods. That said, you may ultimately find it is not for you. If that happens, you'll be able to part with it quite easily.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:58 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Glacier, Get into the feel of the LINE as opposed to the feel of the flex of the ROD. The Z- is a very communicative rod in the modern sense. As I have oft opined, fast response and low mass rods decrease the sense of the swing feel of the rod but amplify the in-touch sense with what the line is doing which is ultimately far more important in terms of presentation. It will make you a better caster/presenter as you learn it.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:07 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Glacier, Get into the feel of the LINE as opposed to the feel of the flex of the ROD. The Z- is a very communicative rod in the modern sense. As I have oft opined, fast response and low mass rods decrease the sense of the swing feel of the rod but amplify the in-touch sense with what the line is doing which is ultimately far more important in terms of presentation. It will make you a better caster/presenter as you learn it.
Thanks, I'll try to tune into that more. I must be feeling something as I'm really able to cast it well and put flies where I want them, It's just as obvious as my Scotts.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:31 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I love Scotts going back to pre-graphite glass but comparing Z to G is like a modern Porsche to and old Austin Healy; you are not going to feel the suspension compress and the body roll going into a tight curve but you are going to go through it faster with greater precision. While learning modern equipment there is often a sense of, "ah, the good old days", but once your into it the old Healy stays safely in the garage.

---------- Post added at 06:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 AM ----------

And this is why Scott has designed and introduced the Radian (which I still have not seen).
Old 09-28-2013, 09:21 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacierjohn View Post
I have written in the past how I was mildly disappointed with my new 905 Z-Axis compared to the 8 1/2' 5 wt SP it replaced. I am kind of medium action guy by nature, Scott G series and Sage SP, but thought I aught to own a faster five weight for windy conditions and larger flies, so I went for the Z-Axis. I'm still considering selling it and buying the new Scott Radian, but after one awesome day fishing the Big Hole where the Sage did everything I asked of it and caught a lot of big fish, and reading the other Z-Axis thread where there seem to be a lot of fans, I'm rethinking my position.

My only issue with the Z-Axis is it's comparative lack of feel, but I think that just goes with the territory of fast action rods, unless you believe the Scott hype of their new "fast with feel" Radian. I briefly cast a Radian and my first reaction was that it's much closer to the Z-Axis than it's G Series roots. I'm going to try and cast it alongside my Z-Axis before I decide.

John
Hey John, got any updates for us? I'm interested to hear more about how the Z-Axis and Radian compare. I had considered a 6wt Z several times in the past but never pulled the trigger as it never really won me over ( hair too fast maybe). I'm in the camp of folks who was hoping the One would be an improvement on the Z but ended up strongly disliking the One (too much effort to cast, zero fun factor). I've read a bunch of reviews on the Radian, all positive, but they all compare it against the One.I'm interested to hear what the Z fans (and detractors) think of the Radian.

Last edited by fireroad; 09-28-2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Typing with a cast
Old 09-29-2013, 01:18 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

A salesman at Cabelas strongly recommended the 905 Z-Axis when they first came out, and I bought one. It was true love at first, but then I became frustrated with casts beyond 40 feet. I realized that pushing the rod hurts its performance, and it likes to have the least amount of effort used. My softer rods don't seem to mind being pushed hard, and they just bend deeper. The Z will fight back, and it's amazing how much you get out of the rod compared to how little energy expended. My casting stroke tends to be compact already, and that suits the Z-Axis best in my opinion. It responds very well to hauling, and has helped my double haul develop quite nicely. I have used a 6wt GPX line on the rod for windy days and heavy flies, but not much any more.

I think it's natural for most of us to put more into a rod that isn't performing the way we'd hope, but this is a case where I'd back off and let the rod do its thing. Exactly how that's done is something that you seemed to have discovered, and you just need to keep doing it.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
Hey John, got any updates for us? I'm interested to hear more about how the Z-Axis and Radian compare. I had considered a 6wt Z several times in the past but never pulled the trigger as it never really won me over ( hair too fast maybe). I'm in the camp of folks who was hoping the One would be an improvement on the Z but ended up strongly disliking the One (too much effort to cast, zero fun factor). I've read a bunch of reviews on the Radian, all positive, but they all compare it against the One.I'm interested to hear what the Z fans (and detractors) think of the Radian.
Thanks for asking; I posted this on another thread, but I finally did get a chance to cast the Radian three times. The first time up here when it first came out.

It was much faster than I thought it would be, but ( and I hope I'm not letting marketing hype influence me), it did have much more "feel" than my Z-Axis which we casted side by side. Despite what S&S says about trying to feel the line rather than the rod, I like to feel the rod load and you can with the Radian. The Z-Axis zips line out effortlessly, but I feel it's more a magic wand than a fishing rod.

A few weeks later I found myself down in Sun Valley ID, where Silver Creek Outfitters had both the new Radian and Sage One side by Side. I expected the One to have even less feel than my Z-Axis due to the stiffer tip, so was shocked when I liked it just as much as the Radian. The next day I brought my Z-Axis to compare all three. I might be missing something, but I thought the Radian and One were very similar, could feel the rod load on both of them and was able to cast both close and far, while the Z-Axis was the same as always.

When I returned home and found Sage One's on end of season sale at $629.00, I put a 9'- 5wt. on layaway to pay off over the winter. For the time being I'm going to keep the Z-Axis as a spare and compare it further next Spring. Hunting season just started over the weekend, so my fishing is done for the year.

John