The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 02:53 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Loomis NRX Steelhead & Salmon Rods

Has anyone fished with these rods? I'm not talking about the NRX, which I've seen reviewed a number of times. I talking specifically about these rods:

G Loomis NRX Salmon & Steelhead Fly Rods

I have a Loomis GLX Native Run 10'8 weight. I felt it was more of a Steelhead rod rather than a King Salmon rod. So I've bought a couple of others since this purchase, including a 9 weight Sage ONE, which is a powerful beaut. This Native Run just didn't seem to have the guts to turn fish (Kings) to me. It is a fine casting rod, and a nice 8 weight Steelhead rod, but not a rod I'm in love with for Kings - hence the 9 weight ONE.

BUT, I'm intrigued with this NRX technology and the fact that this rod appears on paper to have more backbone than the GLX. And I can buy a 10' 9 weight as a specialty rod for nymphing 25# Kings, which I do with regularity when targeting them.

Any thoughts are appreciated. There is not much out there on these that I've found.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:34 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Loomis NRX Steelhead & Salmon Rods

Mike,

I grew up fishing those same Steelhead rivers you are probably hitting and I can tell you for a fact, the NRX Steelhead and Salmon rods are unbelievable!

These rods have plenty of backbone when you need it, such as in those small, fallen timbered streams and the tip is soft enough to give when you need to protect lighter tippet. Both the 9 foot and 10 foot rods are great. The mending ability is excellent. The 7 and 8 weights would be perfect, while a 9 foot, 9 weight would be awesome off of the break walls starting, well, NOW, for the Kings! Although for the Kings, I'd go to the 9 weight saltwater NRX.

I hate the looks of these rods, but they all flat fish!
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:58 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Heck with it. I bought it
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:09 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Well done and I hope you got the flat gray and bright blue...it becomes beautiful after you fish with it. The old-growth, dense, figured cork is a big winner too as are the nickel titanium guides. I plan on great lakes steelheading for the first time in a long time this autumn but not with such a hip rod.
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Well done and I hope you got the flat gray and bright blue...it becomes beautiful after you fish with it. The old-growth, dense, figured cork is a big winner too as are the nickel titanium guides. I plan on great lakes steelheading for the first time in a long time this autumn but not with such a hip rod.
Absolutely - if I'm fishing a NRX, I'm fishing the flat gray and bright blue stick!

Last edited by chi flyfisher; 09-20-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:27 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

I've heard good things, but if I can make a suggestion, wether it is NRX or another fine rod make the switch to two hand if your going to lay down big bucks for a Steelhead/Salmon rod. Unless you're stripping streamers I can't think of any Steelhead/Salmon presentation where a two hander (switch or spey) isn't superior. Longer rod equals more shock absorber, longer more effortless casts, better line control and drift management, and it is literally easier on your body.

I made the switch a few years ago after a serious bout with tendonitis from fighting spring steelhead, and I've never looked back. I've used two handers on MI Kings, AK Silvers, Sockeyes, and Bows, and GL Steelhead, for a natural presentation they just work better. And you don't need to make it complicated just get a good integrated Skagit line like a Beulah or the New Cortland and have at it.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:32 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
I've heard good things, but if I can make a suggestion, wether it is NRX or another fine rod make the switch to two hand if your going to lay down big bucks for a Steelhead/Salmon rod. Unless you're stripping streamers I can't think of any Steelhead/Salmon presentation where a two hander (switch or spey) isn't superior. Longer rod equals more shock absorber, longer more effortless casts, better line control and drift management, and it is literally easier on your body.

I made the switch a few years ago after a serious bout with tendonitis from fighting spring steelhead, and I've never looked back. I've used two handers on MI Kings, AK Silvers, Sockeyes, and Bows, and GL Steelhead, for a natural presentation they just work better. And you don't need to make it complicated just get a good integrated Skagit line like a Beulah or the New Cortland and have at it.

While I agree and have switched to two-handed rods after moving out west, well, I can not speak for chi-flyfisher, but some of those streams (more like creeks) he is fishing do not warrant a two-hand rod. You would spend more time getting untangled from the trees, brush and log jams than you would fishing. They just do not have a place on those smaller streams.

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 AM ----------

Quote:
I have to say, I have small hands and the grips on the NRX rods are the most comfortable grip, of any rod I have ever fished.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:44 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

[/COLOR]

I have to say, I have small hands and the grips on the NRX rods are the most comfortable grip, of any rod I have ever fished.[/QUOTE]

On the NRX Full Wells cork grip, note that S. Rajeff has done something unusual. Rather than have a uniform circumference in the two narrow "waists" of the grip; the rear one, where your smaller fingers encircle the cork, it is slenderer than the fore portion where your thumb needs a purchase. This is an unusual design, pioneered in his CrossCurrent GLX rods that is a nod to anatomical correctness rather than stylistic tradition. I refer to it as a "Weight Forward" Wells and I like it.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
[/COLOR]

I have to say, I have small hands and the grips on the NRX rods are the most comfortable grip, of any rod I have ever fished.
On the NRX Full Wells cork grip, note that S. Rajeff has done something unusual. Rather than have a uniform circumference in the two narrow "waists" of the grip; the rear one, where your smaller fingers encircle the cork, it is slenderer than the fore portion where your thumb needs a purchase. This is an unusual design, pioneered in his CrossCurrent GLX rods that is a nod to anatomical correctness rather than stylistic tradition. I refer to it as a "Weight Forward" Wells and I like it.[/QUOTE]

Just one of the reasons all of my rods are now Loomis. It took me a loooong time to even try a Loomis fly rod because I thought they were a "gear" manufacturer, not a fly manufacturer. Once I finally bit the bullet and tried their rods, I was more than impressed. I now own rods in the following series; WhisperCreek GLX, StreamDance GLX, RoaringRiver GLX and NRX. Some of their rods may not be the prettiest out there, but they all fish so damn well! The WhisperCreek GLX and StreamDance GLX are so so looking indoors, but get them out in the sun and they are flat beautiful!
Old 09-22-2013, 04:28 PM

Many elite rod making companies started with or include bamboo rods in their offering. Those who do and even many who don't have adopted a bamboo aesthetic in their carbon fiber rods; nickel silver winding checks and reel seat hardware, figured hardwood spacers, thread wraps tastefully tipped in contrasting color, classic shaped cork grips...and this appeals to many fly fishers particularly those of us who may have started with cane. This includes me.

But G.Loomis started as a graphite rod innovator and, as it continues to be a leader in materials and tapers; embraces plastic. OK, IMX was a good looking rod but when revolutionary GLX was introduced they went full-on "Form Follows Function". Flat gray sanded blank, the first ever woven carbon seat spacer, unadorned black anodized aluminum reel seats with black thread wraps and single foot black guides. "Ugly" proclaimed some. Unequaled casting/fishing fly rod realized others. Beauty is as beauty does and GLX turned the fly rod industry upside-down. NRX harkens back to that aesthetic attitude and I applaud its honesty. Yes, I added a long-in-the-tooth StreamDance GLX (8 1/2'/#4) this year...still a standout rod. But I expect its experiment with "conventional" good looks to go by the wayside as newer models advance the Loomis tradition of advanced carbon composite high performance fly rods.
throssing likes this.