The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 02:48 PM

jastrout is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Orvis new glass rods

Shotgunfly , Good point as 7'6" 4 wght and 8' 5 are solid points in the glass world by commercial companies : Hardy, Scott, but custom builders can provide huge options. My Steffen 8' 3/4 rod is possible his signature plum. Supreme casting stick. An 8' 5 weight is very versatile rod for dries, nymphs and reasonable streamers .
mcnerney and shotgunfly like this.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:49 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I like the look of these rods. Not as much as I like the look of the Butter Stick. I'll wait for Cameron @ FGM to give a review.

Does anyone know if these are made overseas?
Old 09-09-2013, 07:50 PM

bear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Does anyone know if these are made overseas?
I think the blanks are going to be rolled in Manchester.

Quote:
I don't see many 8' 4wt fiberglass rods...is there a reason for that?
I'm definitely not an expert on glass but I believe they try to keep the lengths down to keep the weight manageable.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:04 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear 007 View Post
I think the blanks are going to be rolled in Manchester.

I'm definitely not an expert on glass but I believe they try to keep the lengths down to keep the weight manageable.
Have 'glass' from 7 foot to 14 foot (a spey out of Norway) and they're all a dream to cast.
mcnerney, bear 007 and troutnut4 like this.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:39 PM

bear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the rough

Someone posted this on another site, Very cool.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:54 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

very cool vid bear
i want one!

casey

ARFE
Old 09-11-2013, 07:26 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I'll dream of this rod while deer hunting. That will not be a good thing. Come on January !

Mike *sleepless in virginia
caseywise and shotgunfly like this.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:34 AM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

I really want to like these rods....

Not sure about the "Morning Stool" green.

An Orvis retail store disrespected me beyond repair.....sucks...because i really enjoyed Orvis's rod and reels in the past and was a great supporter of them also.

Even the email sent to corporate....well, went unanswered.

Jim
Old 09-12-2013, 01:15 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I have to say, the folks in the Roanoke Orvis store have always been nice. They have a busy busy store there,,and it may take a minute for someone to get to you, but you can see they are not 'loafing' but making every effort to assist people in order.

It's happened in Walmart and about every store you have to go to much, you will met some weenie with an attitude. That can be addressed right on the spot.

Mike
Old 09-12-2013, 01:38 AM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

I hear ya Mike,

If that was only the case. I was one of 3 in the store. Then, when i didnt get a response to an email...I was done.

It is probably an isolated case...but, i was treated very rudely. Dont know if its the poor pay rate in retail....poor management...whatever.

All i know is that i was expecting to fish the evening hatch with a new rod/reel/line +++....and all that ended up happening was me returning to my truck....scraping the Orvis decal of the back window....and ultimately just went home and ordered online from another company that dosent have a local presence.

I loved Orvis and used everything from them except flies and leader...I prefer RIO for leaders and tippet. Add to that i have sent MANY folks that way.....being in a tourist town....It just all rubbed me the wrong way.