The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 05:56 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Orvis new glass rods

I understand how that bites deep. There is a lady at the game store were my wife and son frequent, and were it me I'd never give them a penny of mine. She acts like her life is all vinegar and that it's your fault. Every time you go in, it's the same. Luckily all I need there is zero, I just wander in with them from time to time to escape the heat of the street.

I believe respect and integrity is disappearing all over the country.

Mike
mcnerney and waterfordcreek like this.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:47 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfordcreek View Post
Not sure about the "Morning Stool" green.
OK I'm now officially grossed out by these rods LOL!
shotgunfly and troutnut4 like this.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:52 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

If you poopin' green, you have much more urgent needs than a new fly rod !
williamhj and shotgunfly like this.

Last edited by fly_guy12955; 09-12-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:32 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
If you poopin' green, you have much more urgent needs than a new fly rod !
+1, I think a visit to the MD is in order.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:06 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I would love to try out both the Orvis fiberglass rod, and the Red. Butter Stick. These rods may just cut down on the ridiculous prices for older fiberglass rods on Ebay.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:14 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
These rods may just cut down on the ridiculous prices for older fiberglass rods on Ebay.
Try Craigslist. The last 7 that I bought were all $25 or less. Fenwick.... Phillipson...St Croix....Garcia....
mcnerney and kelkay like this.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:26 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I wish I could. Fly rods are not common here. There are just a handful of fly anglers in my area. Otherwise I'd be scouring the Craigslist stuff every day...lol.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:08 PM

Craigslist is just local list'ings for one's own area ? I look ebay a lot but when I went to Craigslist,,it seemed complicated to navigate.

Mike
Old 09-19-2013, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Wow, lots of stuff sneaking up on me while I'm busy; new CFO reels, New Glass rods.......... I donno, the color is OK I guess and I like a superfine grip. The bummer is that I have a 1968 6'6" Full Flex and will not be able to justify a 7' even in a 3 weight. I have the 3 wt covered with bamboo and the old Full Flex will work identically with a 4-5 or 6 line. So, like the Hardy glass rods, I like them but don't know what I'd do with one if I had it.

I spent several hours the other night changing lines from reel to reel because I wanted to swap out the reels for use with different Spey rods and loaded up a new line for my 8'6" Orvis salmon rod. I use this for steelhead on streams that are just not Spey rod size. It's an 8 weight with a 4" rear butt insert and makes a nice rod for fall.

While doing all this line changing (I have a Berkley line and reel loading tool) I noticed something. I have more stuff than I can use. I have a really great 6'3" rod for a #5/6 line that I built for really small creeks with big fish, love this rod but have not used it this year yet........... There are at least 15 rods that haven't been out this season as of yet

I also found / remembered a boxed 1978 Martin MG-3 reel with extra spool and leather carrying case that I never got a rod to match up with. If I buy another small rod it has to be for that MG-3 reel, the reel is simply beautiful and is the lightest reel I've ever owned, lighter than a Hardy Flyweight even and that's light. So.... I need something smaller than the Orvis Glass being offered.

Before moving to another topic; even though I said that I have too much stuff, rods reels and etc. I just ordered another 2 hand rod for small / medium creeks, an 11' 6" Hardy Swift II for a #7 line. I really want to use 2 hand casting right down to the point where a 7'9" or shorter rod will do. The older I get and the more torn up I get, I find the 2 hand cast much more enjoyable. So I will have what is commonly called a Switch length rod. Hardy uses a regular length cork for both grips on this model so it should make a fine trout rod. So there you have it, a guy who openly acknowledges that he has too many rods buying another........ Aw what the heck maybe I should have the Orvis and the Hardy Glass both

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfordcreek View Post
Then, when i didnt get a response to an email...I was done.
HI Mike,

I have a suggestion, when I have something to say; something important, I don't risk e-mail as my means of conveying my thoughts. We have grown to consider e-mail as the primary means of communication in this 21'st Century but it has its flaws. The closest thing you can get to a 'registered' e-mail is to choose both delivery notification and a 'Read Receipt' on the e-mail. The read receipt will let you know exactly who received the message and opened it. If you send e-mail without delivery notification and read receipt notifications you have no idea if anyone (or who) ever saw your message.

Generally if I really want someone in a top position in corporate structure to notice me I research who I need to contact and then print my letter in either 'Business or Memo' format and send it USPS Registered Mail receipt required. This takes time but I get a signature from who received the letter.

Electronic receipts are good for knowing who got the message but when you send e-mail without the options added and never hear a word....................... chances are the message never was read or was not forwarded to who you meant to reach.

I would not give up on a company because of one bad experience at the retail shop level and I would try again to advise the person in charge of retail marketing of what happened to me if I had a problem. A company like Orvis does not want dissatisfied customers nor do they want bad representation of their products at the retail level. I believe that if you were to try again to tell your story and use communications that will ensure that you are heard, you will get a response.
mcnerney and waterfordcreek like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-12-2013, 07:15 AM

jastrout is on a distinguished road

Update I just got confirmed these rods will be ib shops by first of year. I was able to cast several prototypes at Catskill last summer. Will admit to be hard core glass addict with Mcfarlands , Kenneys, Steffen , and Fred Paddock rods. Vis did their homework and at $395 are awesome . True progressive and medium action. The 805 is the pick of litter for me.