The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 11:56 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Z-Axis versus One versus Scott Radian...

I have casted the radian only once and it was on a casting pond, I didn't fish it so I don't think I can give you an accurate rating of the rod. However, I have fished both the one and z-axis rods in 590 configuration. If I had to rate them I would say my favorite is the z-axis by far, then the radian, then the one.
The z-axis with it's soft tip is far superior to me for short line nymphing techniques, you can feel all the lil bumps along the bottom and can feel any take so easily all the while highsticking. The dry fly presentation is also bar none due to the bendy tip. I believe the combination of the fast action and soft tip is hard to beat as a fishing tool.
The radian, had a lot of line feel and appreciated the craftsmanship soooo much, that rod is gorgeous!
The one rod just doesn't do it for me, I felt that with nymphs and streamers it just doesn't respond well. The cast with weighted flies feels choppy to me and while drifting sinking stuff the one feels dead, its not a good wet fly rod at all IMO. As a dry-fly rod the one is incredible however. Distance casting small dries is a dream with it.
To be honest out of all these rods I prefer the sage vxp. I have stated this before, but its more of a progressive medium fast rod. It maintains a stiffer tip however, it handles both dry fly and nymph and streamer perfectly. That probably doesn't help you, figured I should throw that out there though, it doesn't have the $800 price tag as the others, but it certainly is just as good or better than all stated IMO may be worth a try.
Anyway, if I were in your position I would without a doubt keep the z-axis, or go try a vxp as well. Those faster rods are fun to cast in the parking lot or lawn, but casting and fishing are two different things, you may want to consider that.
These are my opinions, sorry if I offended anybody
timd, krikau27 and fly_guy12955 like this.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:39 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

No offence at all, different opinions are why we have forums. The thing I'm picking up here is how individual we all are. I did put that One on layaway and still own the Z-Axis so maybe ill hold on to it and compare next spring, but having fished it three times, I haven't warmed to it yet. On this thread we have multiple very experienced fisherman who mostly love the Z and differ in their opinion of the One.

I fish dry flies or dry with a dropper 80% of the time, but based on your observation, maybe I keep the Z for nymphing and the One for dries. It just seems to me that casting dries is way more critical than weighted nymphs, I actually use my Scott G-906 for that and it does well. I also just bought an Echo-3 10' six weight that may work well there.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:56 AM

fishstick91 is on a distinguished road

I'm hearing good things about the Radian in 5 weight, but I'm looking for a 9'6" 7 weight for shad, bass ponds, and larger streamers in general. I've cast the One and have a high opinion of it. I also have a soft spot for Scott's, but I'm wondering how the Radian compares to the One in the heavier models. Any experience here?