The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 10:23 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Rod For My Son to Take To Louisiana

I'm going to give a report of our 5 day vacation to Dunsmuir, CA fishing on the Upper Sacramento River later, but in the mean time I have a question. Let's just say my son has fallen in love with fly fishing. The damn kid didn't catch as many fish as me, but he caught the two biggest fish. More on that later.

While on our trip, the guide brought out a TFO Finesse 8' 9" 4wt that I used for a bit while he was rigging up my Sage 486 LL. I liked that Finesse so much better than my Sage that I went into the Ted Fay Fly Shop that afternoon and bought one and used it the rest of the trip.

Due to the fact that I have some certificates to a local fly shop where we live, an old rod to trade in, and a glass rod blank that one of the employees in the shop wants I have enough to get in another TFO Finnesse for nearly free, if not completely free. So I'm going there today to pick up a 6wt. Also liked the Finesse, much better than the Redington CT 6wt I purchased recently.

Would the Redington CT 9' 6wt be a rod my son could use in Louisiana or is the action to light?
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 07-31-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:53 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod For My Son to Take To Louisiana

A bass or a Speckled Sea Trout or a small Redfish would be fun on a moderate action rod. Is it the right one? Maybe not, but I'm sure that Big Cliff would have an opinion. I'd value his opinion since he owns a CT and fishes for the species that your son can fish for.

MP