The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2008, 09:27 AM

Joe is on a distinguished road
Default Orvis Frequent flyer 8# 7 pce

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and posting from the UK. Has anyone got any views on the Orvis Frequent flyer 8# 7 pce saltwater rod. I want a good fast tip travellers back-up rod for use in Belize, Cuba, etc and this looks like an affordable rod with good reviews. I'm not sure how the 7 piece contruction affects the action of the rod but feel confident that Orvis can come up with something good and I don't wish to pay the $800 prices of the T3 range
joe
Old 02-12-2008, 12:27 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Orvis Frequent flyer 8# 7 pce

I'm not much help regarding the Orvis model, but I was impressed with the new travel series from LL Bean (8pc IIRC) for the $... maybe worth a look, maybe not as fast of a rod as your desiring though. Good luck

TL's~
Old 02-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

The Frequent Flyer is a kick a$$ rod....really. It is a fun stick and yest a little on the fast side. I borrowed a 9' 5wt one weekend and I really didn't want to take it back. Small enough to fit in your back pocket!
I say for travel and as a back up....good choice.
But, on the reverse side, I am not familiar with the LL Bean.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
The Frequent Flyer is a kick a$$ rod....really. It is a fun stick and yest a little on the fast side. I borrowed a 9' 5wt one weekend and I really didn't want to take it back. Small enough to fit in your back pocket!
I believe the Bean is based on the Double L taper, and not particularly fast.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I suppose I'm too young to have such a retro-grouch view of this, but I view rods having more than 5 sections as excessive. A 5pc rod in tube is much smaller than a 3 or a 4, and has less potential for sections to separate.

That and I've had no trouble flying with rods, even after 9/11. Even carried on a 12' 4pc spey with a short 4wt crammed in the same tube. Int'l travel might be a bit dif't tho.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I suppose I'm too young to have such a retro-grouch view of this, but I view rods having more than 5 sections as excessive. A 5pc rod in tube is much smaller than a 3 or a 4, and has less potential for sections to separate.

That and I've had no trouble flying with rods, even after 9/11. Even carried on a 12' 4pc spey with a short 4wt crammed in the same tube. Int'l travel might be a bit dif't tho.

Don't knock one till you try one Cliff. They really are sweet. Fit in the side bag of a tube or toon, a small backpack, the back of a vest. They are well made, but after what GRN said about the LL BEAN being a slower action I am really interested in them now. But that is me, slow and...dare I say it...e_sy I can't. And for the record I am not cheap either..LOL
Old 02-12-2008, 05:43 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
The first time I cast one I was really surprised. I was expecting a piece of junk and found just the opposite. Would I choose one for my primary go to rod? No, but like you said, a good choice for a travel or back up rod and it doesn't break the bank.

Joe
Old 02-12-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I view rods having more than 5 sections as excessive.

True, now lets talk hard luggage on motorcycles! It's the perfect dual sport endeavor... the best riding roads skirt the rivers, lucky me
Old 02-13-2008, 09:17 AM

Joe is on a distinguished road

Thanks to you all for your help. This is my first time using a forum and I am quite impressed. I think I shall go with the Orvis although I am very tempted by the March Brown Hidden Water 7 pce which is similarly priced and has a life time guarantee. It is however mid tip rather than fast and I don't know much about the March Brown brand. Thanks again. Any of you heard of/used March Brown rods. Probably not very common here in Britain.
cheers
joe
Old 09-17-2008, 11:19 AM

roosta is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Orvis Frequent flyer 8# 7 pce

Dont buy a March Brown ... ever.. no matter HOW CHEAP. I took a 7 pc 5 wt on a 5 week trip to Argentina last March 2008. I bought the Baden Special Edition and was hoping it would mean it was better then the cheaper ones they had and would hold up.

The rod held up for a few days, then the cork handle began to break down. After about 10 days one of the sections cracked right where the sections came together.. therefore it wouldn't stay in and i couldn't fish any longer. I was in a remote area and had to drive about 2 hours back to a small town with a fly shop. I ended up spending $70US on a cheapo replacement rod and two days in the town (since the fly shop was closed on Sunday) just to get me through the rest of the trip.

When I got back home I sent the rod in for the "No excuses lifetime warrantee". Well, after about 2 months of no response.. email, phone, etc.. a new rod finally arrived on my doorstep. What did I do? Cut my losses and sold in on Ebay.

I'm now considering an Orvis rod.. nearly everything I've bought from Orvis has been near perfect, or they have sent me a replacement immediately. Great customer service and excellent products. My orvis waders even leaked while I was in Argentina (i'm guessing due to me packing them too tight)... orvis sent me a new pair..

If anyone is interested in Argentina as a fly fishing destination (without a guide).. it's easy and fun. Feel free to contact me.. it was a BLAST and full of adventure. here is a link to pics and stories from my trip.

PICS AND BLOG can be found here...