The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 09:18 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sage One 9'6" (5WT) vs Scott Radian 9'6" (5WT)

I agree that casting and fishing are two different things, however, like blueco said, it may prove difficult to get a shop owner to lend you a rod to fish with. The thing is, the radian and the one are very similar and both will perform well as nymphing sticks. Given that you can't fish the rod first, it may be best to go with which ever rod feels the best in your hands. They are both high performance blanks, you will probs be happy either way. I wouldn't get too hung up on which will fish better, all you can do is get a feel for which one you like better, and take it from there, enjoy your new stick!
glacierjohn likes this.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:47 PM

mtbusman has a spectacular aura aboutmtbusman has a spectacular aura about

I notice the last post on this thread was Sept 27. It's been some weeks and I'm wondering how the rod comparison turned out.

I'm also wondering if you found a shop that would let you actually test fish the rods. The Trout Shop in Craig, MT, will do this with some rods they sell. But they may be an anomaly.
glacierjohn likes this.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:24 PM

goblueco1 will become famous soon enough

Unfortunately, I have been so busy with work, school and more recently elk hunting that I haven't had time to compare these models. The more I think about it the more I realize it would make the most sense to wait until the Denver Fly Fishing Show and cast literally every rod that I'm interested in plus some custom side-by-side. Additionally this will lead to me having real-time comparison as I could see myself losing 'site' or 'feel' of each rod when casting a week apart from one another. Moreover, I may find that a rod I have never considered fits and feels better than the above mentioned.

Also, every fly shop that I have spoken to in Colorado will not lend a rod to fish with. Everyone that I have asked refers me to the Fly Fishing Show and the casting pond that is on display each and every year. My concern with that would be not being able to 'feel' the take or movement through the water.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:44 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

You are no doubt correct about not getting to feel the take at the Denver Show. Feeling the cast really should do though. Good luck with a nice fat young elk.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:16 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblueco1 View Post
Unfortunately, I have been so busy with work, school and more recently elk hunting that I haven't had time to compare these models. The more I think about it the more I realize it would make the most sense to wait until the Denver Fly Fishing Show and cast literally every rod that I'm interested in plus some custom side-by-side. Additionally this will lead to me having real-time comparison as I could see myself losing 'site' or 'feel' of each rod when casting a week apart from one another. Moreover, I may find that a rod I have never considered fits and feels better than the above mentioned.

Also, every fly shop that I have spoken to in Colorado will not lend a rod to fish with. Everyone that I have asked refers me to the Fly Fishing Show and the casting pond that is on display each and every year. My concern with that would be not being able to 'feel' the take or movement through the water.
Go Blue, did you ever get a chance to compare the Radian and One side by side?
Old 03-27-2014, 09:50 PM

For any in MT who wish to test drive a Radian . . . I was talking with Jerry at the Trout Shop in Craig, MT. He plans to have some Radians in stock as rentals by the first of May. What they will do, is you can rent the rod for a day, fish it on the river, and if you decide to buy it they deduct the rental cost from what you owe for the rod. If you decide not to buy it, you're out the cost of a rod rental for a day. For somebody in the area of Great Falls and Helena, this would be a great way to truly try out the rod before buying it.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:26 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Some early July afternoon, I will strive to organize a 5-weight rod and line switching rendezvous likely on the lawn behind the Missouri River Trout Shop. Each angler brings his favorite #5 rod and line and we trade around and also switch our reel/lines around so multiple combinations of rod and line can be sampled by all. If no one has a Radian (which seem unlikely) I will borrow one from Jerry to include in the mix. We always generate some surprises in this event prior to changing the venue to whose beer is colder. Almost all makes of 5-weights are available in Craig and remember, Montana has no sales tax.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:15 PM

I saw a 9' 6wt Radian in Great Falls yesterday, and held it in my hand. I was at Big R because I some time in GF to kill, and I didn't have time to drive down to Craig.

They had a Sage One in the same size and I held them both. The Scott felt much better to me, the Sage seemed stiff compared to it. I commented on this and the guy at Big R said that the Sage One feels totally different when it's loaded by a fly line. He may be right, I don't know. It is difficult to tell about a rod just from the wiggle test.

The only thing to do is to cast the Radian. I'd like to do that at Craig but I usually fish into the evening and they're closed this time of year by the time I'm done. Eventually, it'll work out and maybe I can get one a try.

In the meantime, any reports and impressions from others are welcome. I know this thread began with the request for information on the 9'6" length, but at this point, I only had the opportunity to look at the 9' model.

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Some early July afternoon, I will strive to organize a 5-weight rod and line switching rendezvous likely on the lawn behind the Missouri River Trout Shop. Each angler brings his favorite #5 rod and line and we trade around and also switch our reel/lines around so multiple combinations of rod and line can be sampled by all. If no one has a Radian (which seem unlikely) I will borrow one from Jerry to include in the mix. We always generate some surprises in this event prior to changing the venue to whose beer is colder. Almost all makes of 5-weights are available in Craig and remember, Montana has no sales tax.
Is this sort of like the S&S 5 weight shootout? I think it sounds great. Why should George Anderson have all the fun? You guys are probably closer to the real truth anyway, 'cause you've actually been fishing.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:08 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

I cast a 9ft. 5 wt. Radian last week really like that rod better than a One that I sold last year .been trying not to buy a new rod but can't get out of my mine. But was the best Scott that I have ever cast or fished.