The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 07:05 PM

goblueco1 will become famous soon enough
Default Sage One 9'6" (5WT) vs Scott Radian 9'6" (5WT)

I started a previous thread about my search for a new nymphing set-up and have narrowed it down to the Sage One 9'6" and the Scott Radian 9'6" both in a 5WT. I regularly fish tail-water and mix in some float trips on freestone watersheds in Colorado and am looking for a fast-action rod that has the ability to chuck heavily weighted stone flies as well as double nymph rigs. At this point, most of the pros and cons are identical except I can get a smoking deal on a brand new Sage One rod. That said the price is not important and if I believe the Scott better fits my needs I will gladly pay more for the rod. So, at this point I am looking for opinions from owners and previous owners on each rod.

All thoughts and opinions are welcomed!
Old 09-23-2013, 07:42 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Sage One 9'6" (5WT) vs Scott Radian 9'6" (5WT)

Sage one , Scott has a shorter grip I like a longer grip so I can move up or down on the grip , I was told that Scott was trying hard to give its clients a fast lighter rod to try to compete with Sage one I don't think you would go wrong with One . Cast them both you deside what works best for you.
goblueco1 likes this.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:39 AM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
Sage one , Scott has a shorter grip I like a longer grip so I can move up or down on the grip , I was told that Scott was trying hard to give its clients a fast lighter rod to try to compete with Sage one I don't think you would go wrong with One . Cast them both you deside what works best for you.
Good advise to cast them both side by side. I just did that last week, I actually casted a nine foot five weight One against a Radian and my Z-Axis. For me the casting exercise produced a tie between the One and Radian, while I like both over the Z-Axis.

The One since it has been around a couple years has a proven record with many-many actual fishing reviews, I have only read one or two reviews of the Radian where they actually fished it, both were glowing reviews BTW, and a handful of casting reviews. Since both rods are very similar in the way they cast, if Scott was trying to present their version of a One, I would say they did a good job. Setting the rods side by side the Radian does have a slightly shorter grip, less than 1/4" shorter, both full wells grips were ample in my hand.

Both are very good looking rods, I like the un-sanded gray blank on the Radian better than the deep black One, but I personally don't like the tangerine orange colored wraps on the Radian. Both rods are fitted with the highest quality components, both are very light in the hand and both are the new flagship of their fleet.
goblueco1 likes this.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:49 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I consider my 9'/#5 ONE to be a great rod but I have yet to even see a Radian in person. Everyone I know who has cast it plus, like Glacier above, respondents on this Forum, sing the new Scott's praise. Other than that you live in Colorado which might bias you, these are both such exemplary rods you truly must cast them side-by-side with a good line (not overweighted). Report you opinions to us please.
glacierjohn likes this.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I consider my 9'/#5 ONE to be a great rod but I have yet to even see a Radian in person. Everyone I know who has cast it plus, like Glacier above, respondents on this Forum, sing the new Scott's praise. Other than that you live in Colorado which might bias you, these are both such exemplary rods you truly must cast them side-by-side with a good line (not overweighted). Report you opinions to us please.
I will be heading to Trouts here in Denver this Saturday to cast a 9'6" 5WT in each rod. I will be sure to post my thoughts once I am back.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:29 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblueco1 View Post
I will be heading to Trouts here in Denver this Saturday to cast a 9'6" 5WT in each rod. I will be sure to post my thoughts once I am back.
I'm really looking forward to your report. One thing that surprised me when I finally found a nice shop that carried both Sage and Scott was though they all had lots of experience and love for the Sage One, they knew next to nothing about the Radian, had not fished it and actually seemed a little closed minded toward it. Please let us know how unbiased and open minded your shop is toward both rods.

John
Old 09-25-2013, 10:52 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Maybe I am mistaken, but it sounds like you are more worried about how your next nymphing rod casts than how it fishes. I'd be more worried about how a rod performs after the flies hit the water than before, but maybe I've misunderstood.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie_robs View Post
Maybe I am mistaken, but it sounds like you are more worried about how your next nymphing rod casts than how it fishes. I'd be more worried about how a rod performs after the flies hit the water than before, but maybe I've misunderstood.
Rob,

I feel that by tying on a double nymph rig and casting each in grass/bumping it across grass and rock will give me a very good idea as to how each set-up works. Additionally, how else is this even possible? It's not as though a fly fishing shop will allow you take a rod to the river and try them out; at least not out here. Do you have another suggestion?
Old 09-26-2013, 10:11 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblueco1 View Post
Rob,

I feel that by tying on a double nymph rig and casting each in grass/bumping it across grass and rock will give me a very good idea as to how each set-up works. Additionally, how else is this even possible? It's not as though a fly fishing shop will allow you take a rod to the river and try them out; at least not out here. Do you have another suggestion?
I'm only responding based on your OP, and trying to make the point that casting isn't the most important function of a nymphing rod. Of course, it needs to cast a heavyish rig, but isn't it more like lobbing than casting? I think feeling the bottom and strikes is the most important factor for a nymphing rod. I didn't notice you asking about these characteristics in your OP, so I thought I'd chime in. Feel free to ignore me, because I am far from an accomplished nympher. I've pulled it off, but I'm still experimenting.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie_robs View Post
I'm only responding based on your OP, and trying to make the point that casting isn't the most important function of a nymphing rod. Of course, it needs to cast a heavyish rig, but isn't it more like lobbing than casting? I think feeling the bottom and strikes is the most important factor for a nymphing rod. I didn't notice you asking about these characteristics in your OP, so I thought I'd chime in. Feel free to ignore me, because I am far from an accomplished nympher. I've pulled it off, but I'm still experimenting.
Rob,

Please don't take my reply as blowing you off I just don't know of any other way to handle this situation. Unfortunately, I do not know anyone who owns one of these set-ups and know for a fact that unless I was to purchase a guided trip a fly shop will not let me take each rod and a reel to the river for an hour or so. I feel that I can get a good idea how the rod handles and the sensitivity of feel by doing as I described above.

All that said if someone knows of a better option please chime in as I am all ears.

Thanks,

BW