The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 06:29 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cabela's CGT or TQR

I love my 359 CGt. It is a great rod. Medium fast. Reasonably accurate and delicate. I don't know why it has such bad reviews. I prefer it to the CGR. The CGt is almost graphite like in performance but very aesthetic. I've been asked if it is bamboo several times.

Great for $75.

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's a carp and sunfish I landed with my CGt last Sunday. Sorry for the bad pic quality.
attila likes this.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:34 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

aggieoutlaw,
what line are you using on your cgt?

casey

ARFE
Old 10-01-2013, 06:47 PM

A $10 factory second DT. Probably Cortland or Rio.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:58 PM

jgros001 is on a distinguished road

Interesting, thanks for the review. I have kind of given up based on the reviews....glad to hear a good one.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:16 PM

coolhand is on a distinguished road

Cabelas is a retailer that has someone - probably offshore, build rods for them to put their name on. No rod designer, no R & D. Not a rod company, period. Never seen any of their fly fishing products that were worth a darn.

Why support them at all?

At least buy a rod from a "rod company", whose main business is designing and selling fly rods. If you want an inexpensive rod, fine. There are many legitimate Fly Rod Companies that build affordable products, get a rod from them.

Cabelas is the 1000lb Gorilla of the sporting goods retailers. They shamelessly push their Cabelas branded products, some of which are ok, but a lot of it is just cheap "stuff". It is sad that good, legitimate rod companies do business with them. As all they do is use the Sages, Winstons, and G. Loomis's to bring fly fishermen in the door, and then they push the more inexpensive, Cabelas branded product to close the sale. Why these manufacturers enable them is mysterious.

But it is what it is.

No help to the OP, but just a rant against the big box stores.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:29 AM

jgros001 is on a distinguished road

coolhand, I appreciate the candor and it is a help. I have actually made one purchase for a shorter lightweight glass rod and intend on commissioning another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
Cabelas is a retailer that has someone - probably offshore, build rods for them to put their name on. No rod designer, no R & D. Not a rod company, period. Never seen any of their fly fishing products that were worth a darn.

Why support them at all?

At least buy a rod from a "rod company", whose main business is designing and selling fly rods. If you want an inexpensive rod, fine. There are many legitimate Fly Rod Companies that build affordable products, get a rod from them.

Cabelas is the 1000lb Gorilla of the sporting goods retailers. They shamelessly push their Cabelas branded products, some of which are ok, but a lot of it is just cheap "stuff". It is sad that good, legitimate rod companies do business with them. As all they do is use the Sages, Winstons, and G. Loomis's to bring fly fishermen in the door, and then they push the more inexpensive, Cabelas branded product to close the sale. Why these manufacturers enable them is mysterious.

But it is what it is.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:40 PM

attila will become famous soon enough

CGTs are fine mod/faster glass rods. Ya just gotta upline them. Unless you want a wet noodle rod,then these aren't for you. Most of the reviews on Cabelas site are by people who know nothing about rods.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:33 PM

I couldn't agree more. My CGT is a fine rod and a fair price st $75.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-22-2013, 12:37 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post

Why support them at all?

But it is what it is.

IMHO Cabelas makes great gear at low prices for the blue collared outdoorsman... I've fished plenty of Cabelas rods and they've all met or exceeded expectations... Sorry I could still enjoy fishing and the great outdoors without having to spend an arm and a leg to do so...

So weird a company would push their own label on their customers... What's next... Ford dealerships selling Ford vehicles???
pa cope likes this.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:55 AM

I've never had any salesmen at Cabelas push ANYTHING on me. They have a huge selection and fair prices for all levels of fly fishermen. Don't see anything wrong with their business model or their lineup.

Who cares if China makes all the cheap rods? Rolling sheets of graphite into tapered tubes is not a critical skill to the health, safety, or prosperity of a nation. So if people want cheaper goods and production moves overseas at a fraction of the labor costs, so be it. If people don't mind paying more for American jobs, you are free to spend your earnings how you choose. Today, in our global marketplace, the price of the rod says less and less about its performance. This nonsense about inexpensive fly rods being inferior needs to be challenged.
itchmesir and fly_guy12955 like this.