The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Cabela's CGT or TQR (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/332412-cabelas-cgt-tqr.html)

jgros001 09-24-2013 07:12 AM

Cabela's CGT or TQR

The reviews of these aren't all that great on the Cabela's site but the prices sure are. Want to get the 7' 2wt TQR but reviews saying that these aren't good at short casting has me shaking my head. Anyone have this rod and can comment on it? Regarding the CGT, how is the action compared to the TQR, I would guess much slower but the reviews are saying these aren't that slow. I might consider getting both for the sale price if they are considerably different in action. Thanks!

s fontinalis 09-24-2013 08:07 AM

Re: Cabela's CGT or TQR

CGT is fiberglass, and fast action for glass.

No idea about the TQR

fly_guy12955 09-24-2013 08:13 AM

It's ain't no deal if it ain't no good. I've read horrible stuff about the Cabelas glass rod.

s fontinalis 09-24-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 (Post 595055)
It's ain't no deal if it ain't no good. I've read horrible stuff about the Cabelas glass rod.

The the CGT is different from its predecessor, the CGR. The CGR is a good rod.

stl_geoff 09-24-2013 09:09 AM

My buddy has a TQr, its actually in the backseat of my truck right now. Its a 5'6" "4"wt. Its one of the goofiest rods i have ever cast. He has never had 4wt line to go on it, so we'd just upline it to a 5. Casts were maybe good to 20 feet...after that they'd just crumple and fall into the water. So he lent it to me for some testing. Tried a 3wt on it, worked pretyy well surprisingly, and then I tried what I thought was some 4wt line my dad had and the rod was glorious. Well, turns out that its not 4wt line, its actually 6. We went to the shop and tried a couple other lines and sure enough, 6wt was a winner everytime. So if you do get the TQr, hopefully at 7' it is a true 2wt, but their short 4wt is a lie

fly_guy12955 09-24-2013 11:24 AM

I should have said it was the CGT with disappointing reviews,,,,I do hear good things about the CGR. I think Casey has a CGR and really likes it. My mistake.

Mike

rockthief 09-24-2013 12:39 PM

CGR is a good rod and owners are wondering why Cabelas changed it so soon and so drastically. Maybe you cn find a used CGR.

fly_guy12955 09-24-2013 03:15 PM

The CGT is a 'eye appealing rod',,,I think as nice as the new Orivis or Butterstick rods. I was set to get one till I got to reading all the reviews about it.
But if a rod is bad juju to cast,,,ya might as well just own a picture of it.

standman 10-01-2013 12:52 PM

I have not tried either rod you mention, but think you should try casting before purchasing...if possible. Over the years, I have succumbed to Cabela's sale prices on Cabela rods and have not fared well. The only Cabela's rod that I still fish is the CGR 359-3, a 5' 9" that I use as backup. Everything else I either sold or gave away.

akcrimson 10-01-2013 05:50 PM

TQR > CGT imho, mostly because I don't like glass rods.

However, in action I feel they are slightly similar. Your best bet is to actually get into a Cabelas store and play with both. Unless I'm buying something I know I'll like (such as Echo Ion rods, I have 2) I don't buy online without being able to wiggle it around in the store =P