The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 07:12 AM

jgros001 is on a distinguished road
Default Cabela's CGT or TQR

The reviews of these aren't all that great on the Cabela's site but the prices sure are. Want to get the 7' 2wt TQR but reviews saying that these aren't good at short casting has me shaking my head. Anyone have this rod and can comment on it? Regarding the CGT, how is the action compared to the TQR, I would guess much slower but the reviews are saying these aren't that slow. I might consider getting both for the sale price if they are considerably different in action. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2013, 08:07 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Cabela's CGT or TQR

CGT is fiberglass, and fast action for glass.

No idea about the TQR

Addicted To Vise
Old 09-24-2013, 08:13 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

It's ain't no deal if it ain't no good. I've read horrible stuff about the Cabelas glass rod.
jgros001 likes this.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:55 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
It's ain't no deal if it ain't no good. I've read horrible stuff about the Cabelas glass rod.
The the CGT is different from its predecessor, the CGR. The CGR is a good rod.

Addicted To Vise
Old 09-24-2013, 09:09 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

My buddy has a TQr, its actually in the backseat of my truck right now. Its a 5'6" "4"wt. Its one of the goofiest rods i have ever cast. He has never had 4wt line to go on it, so we'd just upline it to a 5. Casts were maybe good to 20 feet...after that they'd just crumple and fall into the water. So he lent it to me for some testing. Tried a 3wt on it, worked pretyy well surprisingly, and then I tried what I thought was some 4wt line my dad had and the rod was glorious. Well, turns out that its not 4wt line, its actually 6. We went to the shop and tried a couple other lines and sure enough, 6wt was a winner everytime. So if you do get the TQr, hopefully at 7' it is a true 2wt, but their short 4wt is a lie

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-24-2013, 11:24 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I should have said it was the CGT with disappointing reviews,,,,I do hear good things about the CGR. I think Casey has a CGR and really likes it. My mistake.

Mike
Old 09-24-2013, 12:39 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

CGR is a good rod and owners are wondering why Cabelas changed it so soon and so drastically. Maybe you cn find a used CGR.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:15 PM

The CGT is a 'eye appealing rod',,,I think as nice as the new Orivis or Butterstick rods. I was set to get one till I got to reading all the reviews about it.
But if a rod is bad juju to cast,,,ya might as well just own a picture of it.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:52 PM

standman is on a distinguished road

I have not tried either rod you mention, but think you should try casting before purchasing...if possible. Over the years, I have succumbed to Cabela's sale prices on Cabela rods and have not fared well. The only Cabela's rod that I still fish is the CGR 359-3, a 5' 9" that I use as backup. Everything else I either sold or gave away.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:50 PM

akcrimson is on a distinguished road

TQR > CGT imho, mostly because I don't like glass rods.

However, in action I feel they are slightly similar. Your best bet is to actually get into a Cabelas store and play with both. Unless I'm buying something I know I'll like (such as Echo Ion rods, I have 2) I don't buy online without being able to wiggle it around in the store =P