The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 04:07 PM

jmhall87 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best 5 wt under 250.00 ?

It's a quicker rod than the description tells. Honestly when I go my first one I didn't like it because I thought it was too slow yard casting, but after several trips fishing with it I doubt I'll buy anything else for trout unless I come across the cash for a Winston.
finfan170 likes this.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:23 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

The Redington Torrent and BVK are fine rods in that price range. I have cast both and they are smooth and easy-casting.
mridenour and finfan170 like this.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Business Member

flyfishusa is on a distinguished road

It's a toss up for me between the TFO BVK and the TFO TiCr-X. The Echo Edge is a close second.

TFO TiCr-X is awesome if you like to cast off the tip of a rod but the BVK is almost effortless to cast.

I agree that it would be good to know what application you will be using it for though.

Both companies have the best warranties in the business!
mridenour and finfan170 like this.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:40 PM

finfan170 is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all who have replied to my post. I looked at the BVK today and it seems to be a great rod. I wasn't able to cast it though so I may take a trip down to Colorado this weekend and see if I can try one out somewhere down there.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:49 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

The Redington CT's are definitely trout rods. If you want a rod to fit more duties the one's already mentioned are good.
If you can, check out the St Croix Imperial. Not to fast and it has good feel. But it's not a 'slow' rod either that requires a lot of learning. I have a BVK and an Imperial,,and while different actions, they are both very very well made fly rods. The BVK will toss some size-able buggers and streamers with accuracy.

But 'IF' you are looking for just a trout rod, the CT gets my nod. They are
amazing rods in the slower action slot.

Mike
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:56 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

None of the above...

Go to ebay and find a GREAT rod that is used and in excellant shape.

Dave
Old 09-25-2013, 10:08 PM

tfrank is on a distinguished road

I have to say I would be tickled pink if cabelas gave me $250 for my LST. I bought a ten weight years ago just to see... I never really liked it for anything but throwing a Teeny 450 and it did that well. Into the backing if necessary.

Even if it takes a little getting used to I think you will be happier with most of the rods mentioned. I would probably jump on the imperial even if it wasn't my favorite just to help keep an American employed.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:37 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

For a 5wt under $250, if I had some time, I'd look for a used 2pc Scott G series in good condition. I got one for around $170 on the bay last year. I love that rod.

For new rods...

I like my 8wt TFO BVK, but the wraps are not great--too bulky and uneven. At lighter rod weights, that might bug me more.

I have a 6wt TFO professional that I like a lot. It feels heavier than the BVK, but I think I might prefer casting it to the BVK, and it was a lot cheaper. I don't know about the Pro 2. The wraps on the pro are better than my BVK--go figure.

I have a 4wt LL Bean Streamlight that I got on clearance when the Streamlight 2 came out, and it's pretty nice. Your best bet might be trying out an LL Bean rod and sending it back if you don't like it. You'll only be out something like $5-9 shipping. If you have an LL Bean store near you, even less.

LL Bean takes great pride in their Double L rod series, so I'm inclined to believe that they're pretty good rods, even though I've never fished one.

The Echo Carbon rods get nothing but positive reviews, so that's another option to keep in mind.

Good luck, please let us know what you decide on!
finfan170 likes this.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:43 PM

tpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura about

Personally, I love my LST 5 wt, its my "go to" rod for stillwater trout. I have a bunch of LST's (6 wt and 8wt too), they are all fast and light, but they are prone to break. I never spend over $130 for one. I also have a St. Croix Imperial 5 wt and its fine, but I don't care for it as much as the LST. I don't know if you can find them any more, but a few months ago Cabela's and others were selling Reddington CPX's for $150, that's a great value too in my opinion. Good luck with your decision.

Tom
Old 09-26-2013, 07:38 AM

finfan170 is on a distinguished road

I would be tickled pink if they gave me 250.00 for my LST also. They gave me a gift card for 100.00 though for a rod valued at 175.00. They gave me less because I bought a combo. When I purchased the Combo I was told in the store that the rod came with a 25 year unconditional Warranty. I did have the rod for 7 years before it broke. After 3 weeks of them evaluating what they were going to do that was the outcome. I will not be buying any products from them that has the Cabelas name on it and will try to find other businesses to deal with after this experience! Cabelas isn't the same after going public. They are just living off of the reputation they've built in the past. Eventually it will catch up with them.

Last edited by finfan170; 09-26-2013 at 09:38 AM.