The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 10:18 AM

barham will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Best 5 wt under 250.00 ?

I would second the recommendation about the St. Croix Imperial. Additionally, the Redington Crosswater rod for less than $100.00 is not bad.
barham
dar likes this.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:33 AM

tfrank is on a distinguished road

Hmmm. That sucks. I haven't bought anything from Cabelas in years. I was kind of assuming on the $250 figure huh? I can't remember what I paid for my 10wt. but it was their flagship model at the time. I haven't used it in a few years but this thread is making me want to get it out to see if my opinion has changed.

My opinion is that you should get out and cast several rods in your price point and get what you like. If there is any way you can use that gift card for something else and swing the cash into a rod from a local shop where you can test cast them would be ideal. A good shop will help you make the right decision for you. When the first Crosscurrents and Streamdances came out I walked in the shop and the owner said " I have something you really need to try. I think it is exactly what you are looking for". It was what I was looking for. He didn't like them. He liked GL3's and Legend Ultras better and the old Sage LL's.
flyfishusa likes this.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:04 AM

finfan170 is on a distinguished road

No but 250.00 is about all I can spend right now and should be enough to get me something as good if not better then what I had. Really would like to use the gift card towards the rod though. I found a couple places south of me in Colorado that carry some of the same rods as Cabelas and I'm going to try to get down there this weekend and see what I like. No hurry the rivers are messed up right now from all the rain and I have my 6 wt. for the ponds I fish.
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:49 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

i have a TFO BVK 9' 5wt and i really like it casts very well, is fairly light weight. and fishes good.
cant say that i regret buying it at all.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:57 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by luked View Post
i have a TFO BVK 9' 5wt and i really like it casts very well, is fairly light weight. and fishes good.
cant say that i regret buying it at all.
Yeah, while I am sure there are other rods similar out there I love mine. I have really given it a work out this year. It will stop a 22" Wyoming Cutt and cast a dry or a double nymph rig.
fly_guy12955 and finfan170 like this.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:23 PM

dar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barham View Post
I would second the recommendation about the St. Croix Imperial. Additionally, the Redington Crosswater rod for less than $100.00 is not bad.
barham
While I have no experience with the St Croix Imperial in a 5wt, I have two 4wts and they are very nice rods. I have also heard good things about the Winston Passport and the Ross Essence FC.

Dave
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:13 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

I have an 8wt Crosswater that I use for bass and small pike. A Rio Smallmouth line works like a charm on mine. I also own an 8' 4wt Imperial and it is a great rod as well. I run a SA GPX line on mine. The Redington Torrent still gets my highest vote though. It casts great and is just plain good looking too.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:53 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfan170 View Post
No but 250.00 is about all I can spend right now and should be enough to get me something as good if not better then what I had. Really would like to use the gift card towards the rod though. I found a couple places south of me in Colorado that carry some of the same rods as Cabelas and I'm going to try to get down there this weekend and see what I like. No hurry the rivers are messed up right now from all the rain and I have my 6 wt. for the ponds I fish.
For $50 more, would you consider an U.S. made/built rod?
In a couple of weeks, the new XA2 from Allen FF'ing will be coming out. I think it's going to be around the $300 range.
Medium fast action, very smooth, and I'm a Winston snob. I've had a chance to fish this rod, not just lawn cast it. The rod I used was a 9' 6 wt. with a fighting butt, not a 5 wt. I would venture to guess there's not much difference between the two. If you can wait, I'd seriously give this a very hard look.
(that's if you don't have to use the Cabelas gift card)
Old 09-26-2013, 08:26 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

As has been mentioned- Ebay/Craig's List. You can find an Orvis Far and Fine 5wt that will fit your budget, and you will have one of the finest rods ever made.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:37 PM

dave j is on a distinguished road

Call Steve Clark at Midwest Custom Rods. You will not regret it.