The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 07:07 PM

finfan170 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best 5 wt under 250.00 ?

Thanks to everyone who commented on my post. I have decided to get the BVK. It feels like the right rod for me. I look forward to fishing it as soon as possible.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:35 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear you found something that may fit your needs. There are a number of folks on here that fish that rod in 6wt and above that can help you with line selection. The BVK is a rod that would benefit from be over-lined one full weight.

Should you get out on the water and find the BVK to be too bloody stiff to be a proper 5wt (as some folks have), I would strongly suggest the Winston Passport. It meets your criteria of price and place of purchase, as well as being a true med-fast action to boot. It won't launch streamers and wind resistant bugs a country mile like the BVK, but it will load better up close at normal fishing ranges and present a dry much more delicately. Basically I think you would find it way less stiff and therefor more well rounded then the BVK, which is what you want out of a 5 wt.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:29 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfan170 View Post
Thanks to everyone who commented on my post. I have decided to get the BVK. It feels like the right rod for me. I look forward to fishing it as soon as possible.
Enjoy your new stick.

Dennis
finfan170 likes this.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:43 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

If you haven't yet purchased your BVK I'd say get to a shop if thats possible and try a couple rods before buying. The BVk, although a good rod for the money is wicked stiff, TFO makes other rods at that price point that arent broomsticks, such as the tfo professional, the tfo finesse, these are examples of other good tfo's that represent the medium-fast category and will offer a better balanced 5 weight outfit. The trouble with the BVK is you will struggle to cast up-close, or with delicate dry fly presentations, and short-line nymphing techniques. That rod throws bombs.

I think the winston passport is a good option at $225, but I also think the Orvis Clearwater at $198 is verrrrrry hard to beat, the clearwater has a nice medium-fast action, just enough stiffness to handle long distance streamer and nymph fishing applications, but enough delicacy for the dry fly presentation far or close range, and short lline nymphing. This rod represents a very well balanced 5 weight outfit and should be considered for sure.

Another great selection would be the redington classic trout, this rod also represents similar criteria as the orvis clearwater. However, if the fast action of the tfo BVK is the right thing for you, than more power to ya, and I hope it all works out for you, good luck.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:55 AM

furnacefella will become famous soon enoughfurnacefella will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfan170 View Post
Having a good feeling about your purchase is half the battle. TFO makes some of the best rods in your price range. I have purchased several Signature Series rods to give to new fly fishers and all have taken to the sport. The Signature Series is in the medium action range and although the components are not of the highest quality the rods themselves are nice trout rods.

Surprisingly, I stumbled upon one of my rods (Signature Series 9' 6wt.) in the hands of a young angler a couple of weeks back. He was casting extremely well considering the conditions so I had to give the rod a try. He had it spooled with SA Sharkskin 5wt line and rod rod was majic to cast. It actually bothers me a bit as I have rods costing 4 or 5 times the TFO that do not feel any better on the water and certainly don't present a dry any nicer than this set up.

This may sound a bit crazy, but if I were you I would look really hard at a 6wt Signature Series or 4wt BVK to match up with your existing 5wt line.

If not for your gift card, I would be looking for an old stock Redington RS4. They are the best med/fast action rod I have handled in the $200 range. Some guys up here put a post on the hunting/fishing forums if they have an unwanted gift card or want to purchase something elsewhere. They are a very popular gift these days. Generally someone steps forward that is going to purchase from the same store anyway and meets the guy as a favour. A free lunch or a small discount is usually given for the effort.

Good luck with the new rod.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:04 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by furnacefella View Post
This may sound a bit crazy, but if I were you I would look really hard at a 6wt Signature Series or 4wt BVK to match up with your existing 5wt line.

Good luck with the new rod.
I can't imagine using anything other than 5wt line on my 5wt BVK. I love it just the way it is. Maybe they need to be overlined but I enjoy mine the way I use it.
finfan170 likes this.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:08 PM

furnacefella will become famous soon enoughfurnacefella will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
I can't imagine using anything other than 5wt line on my 5wt BVK. I love it just the way it is. Maybe they need to be overlined but I enjoy mine the way I use it.
I believe more accomplished casters appreciate a true line weight or even underlining a rod, which I think is the case with your BVK. I had read where someone had a 5 wt. BVK measured to be closer to 6.5 wt.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:40 AM

finfan170 is on a distinguished road

Well I have used my new rod twice now and have to say I really like it! I have no problem with short casts and I can cast farther then I ever could before. No matter what size or type of flies I was using it performed awesome. I couldn't be happier with my decision. Thanks again for all the input!
Old 10-11-2013, 07:40 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

The perfect rod is the one that fits you.

Now go forth and fish the heck out of that thing!

CAB
Old 10-12-2013, 08:27 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwf View Post
Not sure how strong or type of action of a 5 weight you want, but check out the redington CT (Classic Trout). Smooth medium action rod built for trout fishing. think they are around 149 bucks, but you can find them on sale for 80-90 at times from cabelas, the clymb, etc. Google redington ct and it is hard to find a bad review.
Someone said they were on sale, so I went to cabelas and checked them out. Bought two for that price, 4 and 6wt. Ive been wanting a softer rod, these should do that. This is what I get for reading these posts.
fly_guy12955 likes this.