The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 10:33 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice
Default Re: 5wt vs 6wt for first rod...

I think a 9' 6wt with a moderate action would give you a rod that best straddles the two types of fishing you want it for, with an emphasis on bass.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:33 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

You have a dilemma in that you really need two rods for the two different types of fishing you plan on doing. Like another member stated, I fish a 9ft 5wt because I lived in 9ft 5wt country when I started (Idaho). I focused on trout only in medium sized rivers so one rod covered 90% of my needs.

West Texas bass and NM trout are very different. Both NM trout and their better streams tend to run small. I lived in NM for awhile and found 8ft 4wt to be the ideal northern NM rod ( I actually went down to 8ft 3wt). My Texas buddies that took me out on their lakes mostly fished 9ft 7wts for bass, a few had 6wts and even fewer had 8wts.

If it was me in your situation starting all over again would I get a 6 wt med-fast for bass and rent or borrow a 4 wt for northern NM, taking both rods with you when you go. Chances are if you get the right 6wt rod you wont need a 7 for most of your bass (and other stillwater) and can make your second rod purchase a nice 4wt for trout.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:03 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I'll start with a snarky comment first.

Buy the red one.

With that out of the way, here's just an honest opinion.

You will eventually commit to a quiver, so go to a fly shop and test out a few rods. Choose the one that allows you to cast the widest payload range for the type of fishing that you plan on. A good shop employee can walk you through the process.

Fish the snot out of that rig until you feel like committing to a second rig.

Dennis
Old 11-08-2013, 08:40 PM

arreflections is on a distinguished road

6 wt then later a 4 wt and then later a short 3 or 8 wt and then the 8 or 3. Finally you realize you have a sickness and then you suddenly have a 7, 5, 2 and 000 wt lol!
craigthor likes this.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:49 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

My I suggest a st Croix avid in 6wt. Will handle weight if you might be fishing heavy nymphs or bass bugs you should be able to feel the rod load better .which you should improve your cast and timing.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:52 PM

tx_newb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arreflections View Post
6 wt then later a 4 wt and then later a short 3 or 8 wt and then the 8 or 3. Finally you realize you have a sickness and then you suddenly have a 7, 5, 2 and 000 wt lol!
Ended up going with a 6wt TFO Pro II. And as referenced in another thread I started this evening I'm already pondering another setup...I think I may be infected.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:01 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_newb View Post
Ended up going with a 6wt TFO Pro II. And as referenced in another thread I started this evening I'm already pondering another setup...I think I may be infected.
Definite need to find the local FFA in your area and seek personal counsel on the best way to deal with you infection.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:03 PM

mtbusman will become famous soon enough

All good comments. And while it's true that no one rod will do it all, especially when going from trout to bass, a six weight might be your best choice . . . I say that because a five weight will be challenged with some of the bass fishing while a six weight can do some of that and still be used quite well to cast small flies to trout. Truthfully, at least two rods is the better solution -- if your budget would allow.

With the thought of future expansion in mind, you might think now, of other fishing you want to do some day and what line weights you'd want for that. When I started out, someone suggested that you could cover a large range of fishing situations with just three rods if you spaced them out. Someone has already posted that they have rods in the 3 wt, 5 wt, and 7 wt scheme. I decided to go with 4 wt, 6 wt, and 8 wt for my scheme.

But of course, if you don't desire to limit yourself to three rods, or three sets of reel and line, then buy whatever you want the most and fill things in later.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:04 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

The 6wt will be fine. As you get other rods you can go lite'er for trout and smaller streams,,and covert your 6wt to small mouth bass duties and such.

Welcome aboard the Obsession !

Mike
Old 11-08-2013, 09:15 PM
featherandfinblog

Funny because we just ran a reader poll on this very question...the vast majority felt that a medium action, 9ft, 5wt was the best all around choice. Check out our blog for the full breakdown of results.