The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 01:22 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone fishing a 9'6" 6wt?

My Streamer and big fish rod is a Winston b2mx in 9'6" 6wt. I love it! It is used exclusively for throwing streamers or chuck and duck techniques for large trout. I like having the extra length for nymphing and the extra six inches also softens the tip in my opinion.

Randy
Old 09-29-2013, 07:12 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I actually fished the 9.0' and the 9.5' 6 weight Z-Axis rods side by side. The shorter rod felt stiffer in the butt section than the longer one. Since the rod was going to be used primarily for casting heavy integrated shooting heads and streamers, I felt that the extra stiffness in the back end would help. To be honest, I could choose one or the other and be happy.

Dennis
Did you feel that the 9'6" offered any advantages over the 9'? I've assumed the answer is yes given the popularity of the 9'6" VXP as a streamer rod but then again all the Kelly Galloup designed St. Croix rods are 9 footers.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:03 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
Did you feel that the 9'6" offered any advantages over the 9'? I've assumed the answer is yes given the popularity of the 9'6" VXP as a streamer rod but then again all the Kelly Galloup designed St. Croix rods are 9 footers.
The extra six inches gives some extra reach which makes for better line control. At least that will be what some will say. It is noticeable.

My main reason to go one length over the other is the casting.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:25 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

My Usage for the 9’ 6” for 6 in descending order.

Winter, Spring & Fall, Deepwater Lakes: Trout, Landlock’s, Kokanee, Black Bass, Light Stripers - Streamers mostly. Wading & boat.
Light or low water steelheading. Wading.
Pyramid Lake NV. Wading.
Shad. Wading
Light Surf - Perch. Wading

Click the image to open in full size.

It’s been in use since they were introduced, almost entirely in concert with a six weight Rio Versi-Tip system and an 8 weight shooting head system.

I'm the odd duck here, but I know I've never used it on a drift.
Weird huh?
TT
Old 09-29-2013, 01:47 PM

bwf is on a distinguished road

St. Croix has really changed their line-up of rods.

St. Croix Rods - Legend® X
Old 09-29-2013, 08:04 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwf View Post
St. Croix has really changed their line-up of rods.

St. Croix Rods - Legend® X
My vote for world's ugliest rod! They are trying to attract the non-fly fishing pike and musky crowd. Thankfully they still make the Legend Elite and just switched to a new resin to make it lighter...
Old 10-01-2013, 09:45 AM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

Redington's Vapen Red is pretty dang ugly. At least the legend x is all black. That red grip is hideous.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:34 PM
mtbusman has a spectacular aura aboutmtbusman has a spectacular aura about

I have an old Sage RPL 9'6" 6wt. I like the 9'6" length for when I'm in a float tube or a boat. I also have a 9' 6 wt Sage XP. If I was going to be casting all day long, I'd rather use the 9' rod. If I need some extra muscle, the 9'6" is great.

I was tubing on a farm pond last summer with the 9'6" and was glad to have it when I needed to fish buggers deep. It can pull a sinking line up out the depths really well.