The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 08:51 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone fishing a 9'6" 6wt?

What do you have, and what are you using it for? I'm tinkering with the idea of a med-fast to fast-ish for for mostly stillwater trout (float tube) with some drift boat and streamer work thrown in. Not to many rods out there in that spec range around the $400 mark. Even more difficult is that fly shops rarely carry that length so I'm thinking used or from a shop with a liberal return policy.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:51 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone fishing a 9'6" 6wt?

I used to fish a 9'6" 6 weight in the Sage XP, but I switched to the 9'0" model in the Z-Axis when that came out. I just liked how the shorter Z-Axis cast over the longer XP. I would use it as a light Steelhead rod or as a streamer rod.

Here in Northern California, the 9'6" 6 weight is a very popular. It is very popular with the Steelhead crowd.

Dennis
Old 09-28-2013, 10:39 AM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I have a g.loomis 9 6 IMX that I have fished for 23 years. It's a great rod. I use it for smb, lmb and big river fishing. Love the extra length for casting and pulling on fish.

Craig
Old 09-28-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I used to fish a 9'6" 6 weight in the Sage XP, but I switched to the 9'0" model in the Z-Axis when that came out. I just liked how the shorter Z-Axis cast over the longer XP. I would use it as a light Steelhead rod or as a streamer rod.

Here in Northern California, the 9'6" 6 weight is a very popular. It is very popular with the Steelhead crowd.

Dennis
The 9' XP was pretty stiff, so I imagine the 9'6" model was a real bear. Did you ever get to cast a 9'6" z-axis? They come up from time to time on the big auction site. A SP would be cool if it wasn't so heavy (relatively speaking).

Craig - I noticed the Streamdance GLX HLS is being discontinued and comes in the longer length. That may be an option.

I'm thinking a Beulah single handed Platinum series may be worth looking at, those guys are known for their longer switch rods...
Old 09-28-2013, 11:20 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Not quite.

I have a 10' 6WT St Croix Legend Ultra that I use when I need a lot of reach.

It's especially nice in the Spring and at other times when the water is high and I need to cast a long way.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:22 PM

bwf is on a distinguished road

I found both the xp and z-axis in 9' 6" a great streamer, summer steelhead, and small salmon rod. I think the z-axis is a smoother casting rod while the xp requires a more compact violent stroke, but man oh man that tip will send line flying. If you can find one used and in decent to great condition I would not hesitate. 691 models in both are really good too.

A really good and cheaper rod, if you can find, is the redington cps. discontinued a couple years ago.

Others to consider:

St. Croix Elite or Legend.
Winston B2X .... discontinued, considered fast action but always felt medium fast in 6 weights and up.
Scott A-4....fast but also a bit heavy (IMHO)

Don't know much about TFO and echo, but wouldnt hurt to take a look.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:36 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
The 9' XP was pretty stiff, so I imagine the 9'6" model was a real bear.
The 9.5' 6 weight XP was slightly softer in the mid section than the 9.0' model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
Did you ever get to cast a 9'6" z-axis? They come up from time to time on the big auction site. A SP would be cool if it wasn't so heavy (relatively speaking).
I actually fished the 9.0' and the 9.5' 6 weight Z-Axis rods side by side. The shorter rod felt stiffer in the butt section than the longer one. Since the rod was going to be used primarily for casting heavy integrated shooting heads and streamers, I felt that the extra stiffness in the back end would help. To be honest, I could choose one or the other and be happy.

Dennis

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 09-28-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:05 PM

BigJim2x has a spectacular aura aboutBigJim2x has a spectacular aura about

"I actually fished the 9.0' and the 9.5' 6 weight Z-Axis rods side by side. The shorter rod felt stiffer in the butt section than the shorter one."

huh?

Jim
Old 09-28-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmuehl View Post
"I actually fished the 9.0' and the 9.5' 6 weight Z-Axis rods side by side. The shorter rod felt stiffer in the butt section than the longer one."

huh?

Jim
Okay. Fixed it.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwf View Post
Others to consider:

St. Croix Elite or Legend.
Winston B2X .... discontinued, considered fast action but always felt medium fast in 6 weights and up.
Scott A-4....fast but also a bit heavy (IMHO)
If the St Croix Legend Elite came in a 9'6" that would be a no-brainer! If I decide to go with a 9 footer that's what I will get. Have not cast an A4 yet but I own a 905 A3. The published weight on the A4 956 is over 1 ounce heavier then the 956, so I'm guessing the extra weight is in the fighting butt. Too bad it's not removable.