The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 12:33 PM

hoyt3065 is on a distinguished road
Default 8WT Recommendations

So I think I have my 5wt all squared away but now I'm trying to figure out what rod I want to use on my 8wt setup I'm open to some suggestions but there are also a few that i would like some feedback on...

Uses
Lake and pond use for largemouth, throwing big stuff in open so somewhat windy conditions regularly.
Chasing stripers in some of the bigger tributaries and the brackish to salt water of the bay.

I know I want a rod that will be safe for salt water becuase this is the one I will take to the beach and so on. My 5wt will handle my smaller freshwater situations. I think that most of the rods will be safe in salt water honestly..

anyway, there are a couple I was looking at mostly because they are on closeout right now and after setting up the 5, funds are running low...lol
The first being the Hardy Uniqua in a 9' which I can grab for 199. and the second being a 10' redington CPX that would run under 160. Others I am considering are the Echo ION, or Edge SW.. or maybe the greys carnivoe or XF2 salt (Although the color is way bright and kind of puts me off)..

Let's hear it!
Old 09-28-2013, 12:43 PM

bwf is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 8WT Recommendations

Redington CPX 908-4 at 'The Clymb' for 129.00!
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:11 PM

tfrank is on a distinguished road

With the Bay and larger tribs for 99% of situations I like a fast rod. An 8 on the bay chasing rockfish is one place I like boomstick fast. The wind can be quite harsh and the stiff rods, if you can cast them, can help when longer casts are required.

An 8 (or even a 6) is better suited to the summer schoolies on the bay also. In the spring and fall/winter you may feel a little under gunned with an 8.

That cpx at $129 might be my first non USA rod. That seems pretty sweet. I've seen some Link's under $200 also. I think it would be almost impossible to not get $129 worth of use out of the cpx.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:33 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

I use a TFO professional that I like a lot -- good medium/fast 8-weight.

Works for me
Old 09-28-2013, 10:01 PM

mirabelasunshine is a jewel in the roughmirabelasunshine is a jewel in the roughmirabelasunshine is a jewel in the rough

I don't know the specific rods in question, but do investigate the 10' options before you settle on a purchase. I just started playing around with a long rod, and -- what a difference an extra foot makes. I find I can throw a longer line, mend more easily, and aim better, all with less arm fatigue. As for the last two things on this list, I'm not even sure I can explain why, but there it is.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:55 PM

bwf is on a distinguished road

I have opposite reaction in that I find 10'ers to cause more fatigue then 9' footers, especially when fishing all day and on multi day trips.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:06 PM

mirabelasunshine is a jewel in the roughmirabelasunshine is a jewel in the roughmirabelasunshine is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I have opposite reaction in that I find 10'ers to cause more fatigue then 9' footers, especially when fishing all day and on multi day trips.
I don't doubt it -- that's what I would have expected, actually -- it might just be that this particular combo is balanced better or something, but I've found a 10 footer to be a total joy to fish with. Worth looking into, at least, if you're poking around and trying out various possibilities.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:41 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

They'll have to pry my Sage RPL+ 9'6 8wt and my Loomis NativeRun of same dimensions from my cold, dead hands! I fish two-handers more than single hand rods these days, but those two are the best single handers I've ever cast. And can cast them all day long when balanced with the appropriate reel (in my case, Orvis Battenkill LA IV or V.
Gary
Old 09-30-2013, 10:50 AM

mridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
I use a TFO professional that I like a lot -- good medium/fast 8-weight.

Works for me
I just bought a Pro II 9wt and I like it. Can't wait to get a King pulling on it this weekend!
Old 10-01-2013, 06:07 AM

hoyt3065 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback guys.. I think I'm putting the 8WT on hold for now though.. Waders, boots, flies, vest, net, etc.. etc.. running out of dough