The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 01:49 PM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone had or heard of bad luck with Sage One rods?

I have snapped the tip of my Sage One once. It was with a bead chain eye streamer. My fault. Have not have the bad luck you have experienced. Sage One is a workhorse and will do fine even in saltwater with big flies.
There are however a list of don't do this. Don't have the rod rigged in your car while driving, it has a rod tube for a reason. Graphite will bend, but do not tolerate being hit on hard objects. If you buy a high end rod, treat it accordingly. Don't try to free snags with it. Use the line for that by holding the rod in the direction of the snag and pull the line. The leader will break, not your rod. I could go on and on. Use ferule wax to keep the sections tight.

Kim.
mcnerney and wannafish like this.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:28 PM

coolhand is on a distinguished road

I wonder sometimes, if some rods are just "cursed". Seen it in a couple of different rods from different manufacturers. I beat the daylights out of my 9', #6 One, and have had zero breakage issues, so far...
Old 10-03-2013, 07:35 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Or if some fishermen are. Three of us were so impressed by the remarkable performance, incredible light weight and crisply communicative feel of the original and first-ever Nano technology Redington Nti, that we each purchased a matching brace. Three 9'/#5 and three 8 1/2'/#4. Now, again, these were never intended to be axes, they were fine, delicate scalpels. These two other gentlemen, like me, are life-long fly fishers and fish many of the same rivers I do including the big Western ones. Two of us still have our original Nano's ready to go at a moments notice, though Zeniths, NRX's and ONE's have cut into their quiver time. The third guy has broken his three separate times! He's no klutz, far from it. The rod was so cursed in his hands that the "new" Redington has replaced it the last time with a made in China replica.

The original Nano blank was built in New Zealand by an America's Cup yacht builder who had the technical know-how to work with this NASA derived matrix and assembled in Florida by Dave Redington. The original was a three piece model with a different modulus of graphite in each section. The new Chinese version looks very similar but casting them speaks volumes about the invisible difference between full-on, no expense spared rod design/fabrication and what the Chinese rod makers do. But this is a separate thread topic.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:39 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Sage "One" switch 7116-4, slinging a 30', T-11, 330 grain line in the salt. No problems yet. But then again rod has never been push with a shark or ray.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 10-03-2013, 08:56 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
I wonder sometimes, if some rods are just "cursed". Seen it in a couple of different rods from different manufacturers. I beat the daylights out of my 9', #6 One, and have had zero breakage issues, so far...
I agree. I have never had problems with breaking rods in 50 years of fishing. That is, until I bought a nice spinning rod for fishing plastic worms for bass. It had great feel and really turned the fish. I had three different ones. They all broke in the exact same spot. Finally I just decided to fish it with the tip missing. A couple weeks later another 8 inches busted off. I guess that me and that rod just didn't gel.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:06 PM

pho_phizzat is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses guys. I am not sure what course of action I am going to take.

I am really thinking that if this rod cannot take a normal day in the life and needs extra special treatment beyond what all my other rods get. Then maybe it isn't the rod for me. The XP's have been through hundreds of trips being rigged up in the back of the truck. Why have something that I am afraid to use? Sounds silly to me. I think I will get it repaired and sell it. Maybe a scott or orvis will hold up like my XPs
Old 10-07-2013, 04:30 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Back of truck? A Pickup? Laying flat or propped on the gate? Though I leave rods rigged inside an SUV or my Green Fish Wagon all the time, it is padded in there. The bouncing metal bed of a pickup is not a rod friendly environment.
wannafish likes this.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:41 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I like to take mine down to two pieces with the fly at the tip top; put tip top and butt together so the fly is with the reel at the zipper end of the case, slide into a rod reel case. Very quick to put back in order when pool hopping/canoeing the river.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:09 PM

pho_phizzat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Back of truck? A Pickup? Laying flat or propped on the gate? Though I leave rods rigged inside an SUV or my Green Fish Wagon all the time, it is padded in there. The bouncing metal bed of a pickup is not a rod friendly environment.
Lined bed of a pickup with a lined topper on it.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:43 AM

All I can add, Pho, is (luck not-with-standing), it is a shame to give up on a rod whose casting/fishing properties you enjoy due to durability issues. The equivalent Scott, Radian, has not been around long enough to asses ruggedness though Scotts are traditionally well built and one of H2's important tasks is to better the poor durability of equally light weight Helios. Again, these along with ONE, are high performance thin walled designs.