The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 07:06 PM

pho_phizzat is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone had or heard of bad luck with Sage One rods?

I have always been a fan of Sage. I have fished with their rods for the last 20 years. Last spring I decided I needed a new 8 WT and went out and bought a Sage One (890-4).

This is where the fun starts. I took it out and threw some streamers. After a few 20 inch rainbows, I deemed her worthy!

Took her out again a few week later with a bit different of an ending. I got caught on a log or something under the water. I had the rod at about 11 o'clock with tension on the line. I moved the rod to 1 o'clock and......... Crack!!!!! Sounded like a gunshot went off. After gathering up my newly modified now 6 piece I grabbed the line with my hand, and with a yank my streamer came free of the log without breaking the 1X I had on as a leader....... I chalked up the incident to the wrong angle on the line and a bad move by me. I went home, wired sage my 60$ and printed a shipping label to send her in for repair.

2 months later..... She shows up with a new first and second section. As thrilled as I was I loaded the dog and SO up and we went to the river. I tied on a Dahli and started chucking some meat. On my third or forth cast I felt a strike and set the hook. To my disappointment all I came up with was a 3 inch piece of moss. As I was skating the moss back toward myself I gave it a hard jerk through the water to pull moss off and POP!!!! I see the tip of my rod go out on the slack line. I think shoot. I must not had the tip section on all the way. NOPE!!!!! broke the tips section about 3 inches above the ferrules.

I called sage and after some back and forth with the one of the managers. (voicing my displeasure). They sent me a new rod as well they did a few other things to remedy the situation. They were really good about it.

Once I received my new rod I of course I called Dad and we went to the river. I strung her up and fished for about 2 hours before we decided to go down river a bit. I layed it in the back of the truck along side my rigged up 5 WT as well as my Fathers rigged up 5 and 8 WTs. When we got down the road I pulled out my 8 WT and noticed something was wrong. The top 2 inches was missing from the end and had slid down my line.........

Words can not explain my disappointment. I am not saying I have been easy on the rod. But It is nothing that the other rods I have had haven't been through. Thing is they have lived and this was the first rod I have ever seen fail. (Not counting car doors and dogs). I do have a back up 8WT that I can use but I paid good coin for that rod and I want to be able to use it without fear of breaking it.

Sorry for the long story. My question is has anyone else had a similar experience with the sage one? I have had great luck with the sage XP and wish they still made them. I am thinking my next few will be scotts.

TLDR: Bought a Sage One 890-4 been out 4 times broken it 3.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:14 PM

bwf is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone had or heard of bad luck with Sage One rods?

No I have not, but then again not fishing with many who own a one! Pricey! and I second you on the XP....still use them a lot.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:11 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Were you fishing bead-head streamers or streamers with weighted eyes? If they hit the rod they can damage the graphite. Doesn't always show up right away.
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:34 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Wow that sounds like some really bad luck! Maybe you should sell the next replacement and get a Zenith; 60% stronger supposedly. That said, I have 5 Sage rods and love them all; no ONE yet though.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:28 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I have two full seasons on my ONE #5 which I consider a great rod. I do travel with it, fish it out of drift boats, leave it rigged in the (interior) of the truck and all. I do not fish weighted flies being a dry fly guy pretty exclusively and assiduously avoid high sticking or trying to free snags with any bent rod.

I will say this though: Many of us buy a new rod expecting it to do all things. However, small diameter, thin walled, ultra-light-weight rods like ONE are high performance "sports car" rods designed for super high line speed, tight loops and precision presentations. Yes, you purchased a #8 not a 4 or 5 and though I have not cast the 8, I'll wager it would be brilliant at drilling an elk hair, wind resistant Salmon Fly to the far bank but might not be the best choice for tossing cone heads with an open loop. As I am wont to caution, "Don't try to tow your boat down a dirt track with your Ferrari."
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:32 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Sell it to some unsuspecting smuck and get an Orvis Helois2.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:42 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Haven't had this happen on a one yet but I had similar results from an 8wt bvk. I have talked to so many people who haven't had any issues with theirs but I just couldn't stop breaking it. And so, I sold the 4th replacement.

I think that sweetandsalt really hit the nail on the head. While the bvk and one are in different price point leagues, the principle thin wall construction is similar. I tend to cast a lot of heavier flies with my bigger rods and suspect that was the key factor. I'd definitely look for something geared towards that if you are like me. I ended up going custom with my replacement and haven't had a problem since.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:03 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I used to recommend and still occasionally use Diamondback "Stu Apte" signature models for heavy duty work. They were thick walled, fiberglass scrimed, work horses that are still a pleasure to fish; albeit with more heft to them than ONE. A surprisingly nice rod at a very modest price that fills this #8 roll currently is Albright's "XX". We have several in #7 to 10-weight we've put to the test and have yet to have one fail. I am also impressed by the blend of ruggedness and great casting traits of ECHO3's. I am a big believer in having more than one rod in each line weight I use with different personalities and performance characteristics.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:28 AM

dwtalso will become famous soon enoughdwtalso will become famous soon enough

No, my bad luck was with my Orvis Superfine Touch (8' 4wt). First trip out with it was a cold day and I reached up to knock an ice ball out of the tip-top guide. I didn't pay attention to what I was grabbing and snapped off the top two inches.

Got it back from repair and the next weekend put it in the vehicle for a trip. I didn't use it that day but when I got home the tip was busted again.

No issues since *knock**knock**knock**.

I think bad things just cluster once in a while. Kind of aggravating.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:44 AM

pho_phizzat is on a distinguished road

I was throwing weighted streamers. But as I said before. It is something I have done hundreds of times with my 8wt sage xp and had no problems with it. I think after this repair it will be sold or retired and something that says Scott or Orvis will take it's place.
fly_guy12955 likes this.