The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 06:46 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Considering TFO Professional

For fishing the American River, Delta, Occasional Saltwater... for Stripers, Large Steelhead, Shad, Black Bass, light saltwater.

Would TFO Professional 10' 7wt or 9' 8wt. be better and are their others I should consider.

I prefer the price range of the Professional and that they are an all around Medium Fast action rod. However I'd be willing to consider spending up to $250.

I've dropped my top $$$ I'm willing to spend, because I want to save for money for another trip to Dunsmuir, CA. next month.

Is there a compelling reason I should consider a different rod with a fast action.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:39 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering TFO Professional

Get the 9' 8 weight. Your arm will thank you for all that blind casting that you would be doing.

A 10' 7 weight is a specialty line control tool for Steelhead fishing. The extra length gives you more mending capabilities.

Most Striped Bass fly fishermen in Nor Cal use either fast action 8 or 9 weight rods. The river fishermen favor 8 weights because it can cast a variety of lines and flies. The Delta fishermen favor 9 weights for casting through wind. These faster rods will have more stiffness in the butt which can help by putting a little more hurt into the fish and having the ability to lift a fish up from the depths.

Don't forget that you can always slow a fast action rod down by using a heavier line.

MP
Old 08-01-2010, 01:15 AM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

I'd recommend 9' 8wt as well.

Check out Sage Vantage. Med-fast action. Under $250.. made in USA....
Old 08-01-2010, 09:53 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Tom: Check out this thread by Brewmaster on TFO's Customer Service: Kudos for TFO Customer Support

Larry
Old 08-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Thanks for the replies MP & Mark...

Is the Sage Vantage that much better than the TFO Professional or is the difference in price all in the name?

How does the Sage Vantage compare to the TFO TiCr other than then the difference in actions the Sage being Med-Fast and the TiCr Fast? Is the Vantage better quality rod than the TiCr?

I like to get th most bang for my buck so I really like the idea behind brands like TFO & Redington.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:13 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Weird. I thought that I responded to this. I probably previewed the message and closed it. Silly me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingmonkey View Post
Thanks for the replies MP & Mark...
Speaking for myself, you are very welcome.

Quote:
Is the Sage Vantage that much better than the TFO Professional or is the difference in price all in the name?
Try casting both of them. I say yes. Someone else may say no.

Quote:
How does the Sage Vantage compare to the TFO TiCr other than then the difference in actions the Sage being Med-Fast and the TiCr Fast? Is the Vantage better quality rod than the TiCr?
Differences? The Vantage will feel lighter in hand. It is lighter by almost an ounce. One will feel smoother. One will feel more powerful. I'll let you figure that out.

As for quality, put the rods side by side and inspect the quality of build. You will notice a few things.

Quote:
I like to get th most bang for my buck so I really like the idea behind brands like TFO & Redington.
Bang for the buck is good, but sometimes paying a little extra coin for the better performance and build quality that you demand is priceless.

Yesterday I sold to a gentleman a rod and reel outfit for his son's birthday. At first he was leaning towards a Redington RedX outfit (Red Fly 2 rod/Crosswater reel, $179 on sale). I gave him the option to look at a Sage Vantage. He cast both rods and liked the feel and build quality of the Vantage more. After the addition of a Lamson Konic, Rio Grand line, leaders, tippets, and a few accessories, he was out the door just over $500. He made a comment that he felt that the the quality of the Sage/Lamson sold him over the Redington. The price was worth it to him.

MP
Old 08-01-2010, 05:27 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

MP

I found your experience with the gentleman buying an outfit for his Son very interesting? It seems to me that starting him with better equipment will not only facilitate the Son's learning to handle the rod etc but when he is comfortable with the setup, he has a quality rig that he will only improve with as he continues fishing with it. no need to upgrade & start over.
Don't get me wrong, I like to investigate & play with new tackle as much as anyone. When it comes to becoming more proficient at the sport however, I am reminded of the old saying, " beware the man with one gun, he will know how to use it ".
The point is, start with the best equipment you can afford & stick with it as long as it is working for you. better to own one rod that you can make do what you need it to than several, none of which you are completely confident with.
I think you did your customer a favor that may be the difference between his Son becoming a fly fisherman & and going back to, whatever.
Wasn't that his objective to begin with?

P
Old 08-01-2010, 07:00 PM

Thanks for sharing the link that made me even happier I purchased the TFO Finesse Rod. Sorry just thinking out loud about the TFO Finesse I purchased at the Ted Fay Fly Shop in Dunsmuir. I just love that rod, I know this is blasphemy, even a lot more than my Sage 486 LL.

Last edited by FlyBum; 08-02-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:05 PM

oregonsteel has a spectacular aura aboutoregonsteel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the link that made me even happier I purchased the TFO Finesse Rod.
The finesse is a vey good rod, especially for rivers like the Upper sac. I have used that rod on the Upper Sac in Fact in a 4weight and couldn't be happier for ammount that I paid. If money were no object I probably would go with the Sage zxl.

That said, I do not feel that the rod has the punch for someone living in, you said your son will be in Louisiana? I am sorry, but if this rod is for there I think you made a grave mistake. You should go to Striped Bass Fishing - Stripers Online - Striper Fishing Online! (hmm wonder if there is a strippersonline.com) and ask if the finese would be a good rod for that area. I would lean more towards the Axiom or Ticr/TIcrx.

Or a Colton. Dfinitely Colton fo the reel, for a smaller reel a crg2, starting at around a $100 for a barstock, type 2 anodized saltwater safe reel (the bigger crg2' are used for big game salt, and are bomb proof) with a drag with 18 pounds of stopping power.

And the Torrent has a stackd rulon drag.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:36 PM

oregonsteel:

Thank you very much for the link, but I'm not sure where you got that I purchased that 4 wt TFO Finesse for my son to take to Louisiana.

Matter of fact just this morning I purchased two of the rod listed below from AlBright.

Albright GP 90892 8/9 9' 2 B 3.9 oz. Regular Price $200.00 Clearance Price $44.99

At $44.99 even if they turn out to be POS they can be backup rods or rods to give to somone who cannot afford one. Hell I could probably place them on Ebay and make a couple bucks.

By the way the TFO Finesse was purchased for fishing the Upper Sac and other CA. Freestone streams. I was just thinking out loud regarding the TFO Finesse I purchased from Bob who now owns the Ted Fay Fly Shop in Dunsmuir. That's another story I've already told on this forum though.

Last edited by FlyBum; 08-03-2010 at 12:15 AM.