The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By gr8outdoorz
  • 2 Post By onthehunt
  • 6 Post By sweetandsalt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 03:48 PM

gr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura aboutgr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura about
Default My first Loomis!! I'm in love!!

I got a great deal on a G. Loomis last week from a fellow fisherman. He hooked me up with his Loomis Pro 4X 8' 3wt paired up with a Ross Evolution LT1 for the sweet price of $395

He had used it for one outing and decided it just wasn't the rod for him so when I was looking for a 3wt and liked the way his felt, he let me grab it.

Got to fish with it this weekend on my favorite tail water. After some testing in the yard with various line weights, I up-lined it with a 4wt.

All I can say is WOW!!! Even though it is a Med-Fast, it has such a nice crisp action. Moderate wind was no problem, but it also laid line on the water so softly you could barely hear it land. It also handled a FAT 18" bow on 7X better that I imagined for a 3wt!

I have 2 other Evolution LT's so I knew I would like the reel, but the feel of this rod is amazing. I have been fly fishing for a long time and have had/cast many different rods (including a couple older Loomis), however I have not had a rod that feels the way this one does. This is going to make a GREAT midge rod

Christmas has come early for me!!!!
imxer and wannafish like this.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:41 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: My first Loomis!! I'm in love!!

Welcome to the world of Loomis! In my opinion, they are under the radar these days, with the exception of the NRX, giving way to other big name companies. However, I think Loomis rods "fish" better than just about anything out there right now. They may not all win the beauty contest, but most all of them have feel and can flat fish!

Enjoy it!
imxer and coolhand like this.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:37 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Congrats! It's such a nice feeling to find a rod you love. Enjoy and fish the hell outta it!
Old 10-02-2013, 08:45 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Awesome, that's a hell of a good deal on the rod/reel. I would like to own a Loomis someday. They are kind of hard to find locally though.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-03-2013, 09:36 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

It seems true that G.Loomis does not have the fan base in our Forum enjoyed by some other brands. I opined a while back that between Loomis and Sage, the entire quality end of the fly rod spectrum was covered. Of course, I fish Scott, Orvis and a big bunch of other rods too but I was immediately wacked by someone who commented that I must never have tried a Winston. I wasn't sure if they meant that tongue-in-cheek so I declined to dignify it with a response.

Gary Loomis, no longer associated with the company that bears his name, was a seminal pioneer in carbon fiber rod technology and design. He was the first to build the now popular, dramatically progressive taper with a stout butt and a soft tip as current Loomis master designer and Gary Loomis disciple, Steve Rajeff has refined today. When G.Loomis introduced ground breaking GLX in the 1990's the entire plastic rod industry turned up-side-down. Everyone tried to emulate it though, like today, many questioned the rods' "form-follows-function aesthetics. Almost everyone, me first in line, HAD to have several GLX's and, in those years, both my #1 trout and bonefish rods were GLX.

The Japanese giant, Shimano, agreed and they bought the company lock, stock and barrel and it was then that Gary's torch was passed on to Steve Rajeff. Shimano has wisely left Loomis alone as a stand-alone independent operator simply infused with Shimano cash. All G.Loomis rods are still built in Woodland, WA by much the same team as has been there all along. Their fabrication facilities have been significantly up-graded and their World-wide sales are stronger than ever...they are big in spinning and surf rods besides fly tackle and I believe they have a thriving golf club shaft subdivision too. Today's top-tier NRX may not be the ideal rod for every fly fisherman but for those of us who fish them, they are uniquely special.
imxer, onthehunt, coolhand and 3 others like this.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:48 AM

gr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura aboutgr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys! I've fished it a few times now and am loving it more every time. Like Biggie said, it's great to find a rod that you really enjoy fishing. I have a feeling this rod will be used heavily midge fishing this winter.

Thanks for the info Sweet&Salt! Its always nice to learn a little history about our great pastime!
Old 10-03-2013, 12:22 PM

jastrout is on a distinguished road

My experience with Loomis rods has happened in the last few months At a glass gathering in Coburn Pa at The Feathered Hook the owner Jonas Price had and since has a collection on custom rods by the late Bill Franks of LLBean and Cortland and many other fly fishing projects. Well all were magnificent in quality of build with machine hard ware by Bill. I test casted several and now own two: GLoomis older IM6 Blanks as 8'6" 5 & 8' 5/6. Old blanks Yes but two of finest casting rods regardless I have. Bill's taper but Loomis blanks.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:33 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Loomis rods are indeed good looking. Maybe not in the most classic way, but handsome rods non-the less. I've wiggled a few but never fished with one.

Glad you like it. When a piece of outdoor gear hits your soul in that 'just right' place...life is then good !

Mike
Old 10-03-2013, 03:45 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

Congrats brotha, sounds like you got a sweet lil setup for under $400, not bad at all enjoy it! make us proud, catch and RELEASE many many trout on it.

As for OnTheHunt's comment about loomis rods being the best casting and fishing rods on the market. I challenge you to get a Scott M, S4 or radian in your hands. A C.F. Burkheimer Classic trout or DAL rod in your hands. A Tom Morgan 865-4 or a Winston BIIIX or BIIT in your hands, and then see if you can repeat that same statement. I think your mind will change a bit brother.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:34 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewlushlife View Post
Congrats brotha, sounds like you got a sweet lil setup for under $400, not bad at all enjoy it! make us proud, catch and RELEASE many many trout on it.

As for OnTheHunt's comment about loomis rods being the best casting and fishing rods on the market. I challenge you to get a Scott M, S4 or radian in your hands. A C.F. Burkheimer Classic trout or DAL rod in your hands. A Tom Morgan 865-4 or a Winston BIIIX or BIIT in your hands, and then see if you can repeat that same statement. I think your mind will change a bit brother.
I can not comment on the Burkheimer or Morgan, but I have fished BIIX's, BIIIX's, BII-MX's, BIII-SX's and BIIT's and while I fancy their looks and craftsmanship, I do not believe they "fish" as well as the StreamDance GLX, NRX LP or NRX. Scott makes a nice stick as well, however, they just do not do it for me. The Green sticks are not bad by any means and they are actually my second choice above anything else that I have fished and they are my first choice for classic, rich beauty. However, for me, across the broad range of fish, flies and conditions I fish, Loomis is the best out there!

Savy.....

Sorry, just thought that was funny!