The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 11:27 AM

joconnor is on a distinguished road
Default Loop Cross S1

I am thinking of getting a new 8 or 9wt Loop Cross S1. Anyone have experience or thoughts on these rods? I have a 7wt Helios 2. This is primarily for Florida Keys fishing as well as salmon and steelhead, maybe some muskie and strippers. It's hard to find any info on them, but the folks that use them seem to love them. Have also thought about a Sage One, Scott S4s or even the new Sage Method.

Cheers
Old 10-03-2013, 11:38 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Loop Cross S1

Not in the weights you are considering but G. Anderson in his last "5-Weight Shootout" made some comments about this series of rods worth reading.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:39 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds like you have quite a choice to make, those are all great rods mentioned. I have cast the cross s1 and loop opt-stream but they were both 5 weights. I liked the opti muuuuuuuch better due to the softer tip. Obviously in an 8 weight the opti would be stiffer, yet not as stiff as the s1. Hope that helps

As for the H2, Scott S4, sage ONE and method these are all top notch rods with many similarities. Choosing between them will ultimately come down to you, and getting these rods in your hands at a fly shop is the right way to choose between them. The nice thing about the scott is that the performance is amazing like the other rods, but the craftsmanship is far beyond all other rods mentioned, I would heavily consider that rod if I were you.

I have one other suggestion for you, take a look at the sage vxp 9' 8 weight, its considerably less than rods in question. At $495 this rod is amazing, cant hurt to take a test cast if you want to save a couple bucks. I'm a huge proponent for the vxp, because I owned a sage one sold it, got an H2 sold it, then got an NRX and ended up selling that too. I finally settled on the vxp. This is an incredibly underrated rod, might be worth a look. Good luck on your search
Old 10-03-2013, 08:15 PM

Thanks! It's hard to find anyone that sells the Loop rods, I can access all the others though and have cast some of them.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:42 PM

Well, I pulled the trigger on the Loop Cross S1 9wt. Got a great deal and a great return option/exchange from Charlie at The Faded Fly. I will let everyone know how it works out hopefully within the week.