The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 07:16 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Retro outfit

Speaking from experience, there were alot of poorly designed fiberglass rods produced in the 70's. I wouldn't necessarily buy a fiberglass rod just because it's old. On the other hand, there are rods made back then that still more than hold their own against anything made today.

If you are looking for glass, I'd look for something no longer than 8', preferably something 7 1/2' or less. I'd also go no higher than a 6 wt, again preferably a 5 wt.

There is a reason graphite got popular, fiberglass rods get heavy as they get longer with larger diameters (to handle larger lines). Not to say a larger fiberglass rod can't be fished, I just personally choose not to.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 10-05-2013, 07:55 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Paul,

I'm not completely positive but about 99% that the old Full Flex is one of the actual early Orvis blanks.
Hey Ard
Orvis made they're own glass blanks for the Fullflex line only from 1978 to 1983. And at that point they were well into the 'graphite era'. Before that the glass blanks were all made by Phillipson
The Orvis Powerflex and Golden Eagle blanks were always Phillipson made.

Once they started selling the graphite rods, Orvis rolled all of their own but for what ever reason their glass rod blanks were primarily bought from Phillipson.

I have a Golden Eagle 9' 8wt. and that rod is a rocket launcher.
I kinda wish that I'd never fished it as it was unused when I got it and would be worth a good penny resale in as-new condition.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:21 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Hey Ard
Orvis made they're own glass blanks for the Fullflex line only from 1978 to 1983.
A bit longer, I think. I believe that the "Fullflex A" rods were the ones with the blanks made by Orvis. That line was offered from 1975 through 1987.

There's a good listing of Orvis fiberglass rods here:

fiberglass fly rods / Orvis

I have a Fullflex A, an 8'6" 9wt that I still use for bass fishing and enjoy very much. I fished it this evening, as a matter of fact. These were and are nice rods.

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:12 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I have found out one thing,,,older Fenwick glass is EXPENSIVE !

I found a Phillipson, 7 1/2 5wt that I just might bid on down near the end. Some wear as expected, but the rod blank looks to be in pretty good shape with all the windings appearing to be tight. The cork is a wee bit rough, but it's a used rod ya know.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:27 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
I have found out one thing,,,older Fenwick glass is EXPENSIVE !

I found a Phillipson, 7 1/2 5wt that I just might bid on down near the end. Some wear as expected, but the rod blank looks to be in pretty good shape with all the windings appearing to be tight. The cork is a wee bit rough, but it's a used rod ya know.
Phillipsons are usually more expensive. If you have the luxury of some time, you can usually find a good deal on a good rod.

You'll typically find that the shorter/lighter (line weight) the rod is, the more it costs.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 10-07-2013, 12:27 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Rip Tide will need to confirm this but I recall that the Golden Eagle and Phillipsons own rods of that time were the then new-tech "S-Glass" and were the first glass rods to utilize unidirectional glass fibers over a woven scrim. Just coincidentally, I have a 7'/#4 rod sitting on my desk as I write this that I built in the 70's on a brown Phillipson blank.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:05 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The Phillipson Epoxites and the Golden Eagles used the 3M "Scotchply" straight fiber "Uniglass". I don't think that was considered S-glass
There was no woven glass, just layers of straight fiber.
According to Dr Schwiebert in Trout Tackle Two the blanks were "rolled under extreme pressures and laminated with epoxy".

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
the then new-tech "S-Glass" and were the first glass rods to utilize unidirectional glass fibers over a woven scrim..
You may be thinking of the Fenwick Fenglass rods. They were made that way. A layer of straight fiber s-glass over a layer of woven fiber e-glass.
S-glass wasn't quite new- tech at that point as Lamiglas had been using s-glass for their rods for some time.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:28 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Thanks Rip, The 3M glass is what I was thinking of...the memory gets confused 4 + decades later. Those were fine casting rods never-the-less. My brother had the Fenwick version at that time and I recall liking the Phillipson and Orvis Golden Eagle versions better.

Early San Francisco Scott Pow-R-Ply glass rods were cool too and used internal plies to modify the tapers. More recently, Diamondglass rods were very nice and there still may be a few around (made in VT versions).

Click the image to open in full size.

I recently had a pile of old glass donated to me on behalf of PHWFF. An auction to benefit this help-a-veteran-through-the-therapy-of-learning-to-fly-fish organization is in the process of being set up on-line. It will include these Wonderrods, Ted Williams Special and a bunch of others including a Phillipson or two. I will post notification of this event when it is coming to fruition.

Last edited by sweetandsalt; 10-07-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:10 PM

I happened to luck into a very nice two tip registered Phillipson

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

As I recall, S-glass has a higher modulus of elasticity, I just did a quick google search, whether these numbers are correct or not, I can't personally confirm

Material Density (g/cm3) Tensile Strength (MPa) modulus (Pa)

E-Glass...........2.55.....................2000..... ....................80

S-Glass...........2.49.....................4750..... ....................89

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

Old 10-07-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post

I may be mistaken, but I thought the S - glass referred to the actual composition of the glass fibers used, as opposed to the way they were oriented in the mat.

As I recall, S-glass has a higher modulus of elasticity
S-glass makes for a higher modulus than e-glass because the fibers are of a thinner diameter. More of the fibers fit into the same area.
It has nothing to do with the orientation.