The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 07:57 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Retro outfit

Since I got the Medalist 1494da from Casey I been thinking. (yea,!) I might 'not' put it on a lightweight modern glass,,,but I am thinking about fiberglass from the 70's or so. Fenwick perhaps ? But,,,the fly in the soup,,,,I know next to nothing about Fenwick glass except the few I've seen on Ebay.

Any recommendations on what to look for in a Fenwich glass rod of yesteryear in what I suppose would be 5 or 6wt ? Was 4wts at all common then ? I learned on two glass rods,,an Eagle Claw (first rod) then a Garcia Conolon. By the time I'd gottne well into the Garcia my next step was graphite and ,,so,,I know very little about the actual glass rods of my era,,only having had the two.

Short of the storty, I'm looking for a decent glass rod,,or plus decent,,,to pair with this Medalist.

Ideas, suggestions, advice ?

Mike
Old 10-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retro outfit

I'm a fan of the old Browning 'Silaflex' rods myself.
The one I have is from the 70's. It's an 8' model with an old/new stock Leeda 'Gear fly 80' rapid retrieve reel. The rod loves to throw a DT 7 wt line, and cast smooth as butter.
fiberglass fly rods / Silaflex
imxer and Hardyreels like this.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 10-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Mike,

I just came home from fishing a rig like you're talking about.
Click the image to open in full size.

Orvis Full Flex Glass 5/6 with a Martin MG-7 on it. The rod is 6'6" and I like it a lot.

Click the image to open in full size.

Ard
fyshstykr and caseywise like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-04-2013, 08:36 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Too kewl Ard. I'm gonna do the entire deal 'retro' one might say. I'd love to luck out and find an older Orvis glass rod that wouldn't cost me the Kingdom. I'll have to keep looking,,and if I see something, I might be in touch for some advice ,,if that's OK ?

fyshstykr, I'll defiantly keep those rods in mind too. I'm sure there is a mate for this reel sitting out there some wheres needin' a good home.

Mike
Old 10-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Always glad to help another tackle junkie Mike.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:51 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

A good Phillipson made rod like Ard's Orvis Full Flex will run you about $125-$175. The Phillipson rods are hugely popular with good reason.
Beside the Phillipson and Orvis brands, they also produced rods for LLBean, Abercrombie & Fitch and a number of smaller shops.
Rick's Rods owns the Phillipson name now and has a pretty good inventory, but you'll pay dearly.
My most recent Phillipson, a 7' 6wt "Royal Wand", I got off of Craigslist for $35 (with a mint Medalist 1492 thrown in )

The Fenwicks are generally a good choice too but there are a few "dogs".
Some of the nicer ones that I have are the FF70, a real nice 7' 5wt, the FF79, a 8', 6wt and the FF80, a 8', 7wt

My current favorite glass rod (this week ) is a Cortland FR-2000 6wt, (St Croix Blank)

Berkley Parametrics don't look like much but are surprisingly good rods and I have an H-I 8wt. that casts a full line with no effort at all.
Thursday I was fishing a Garcia 10wt that I really like.

There's lots of them, and you can find them cheap if you look around.
It's my experience that if a rod that has the proper number of guides, which would be at least one per foot of rod length, it's a quality rod and usually worth buying.
That is if the price is right. Most of the rods that I buy are from $25-$35.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 10-05-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:33 AM

outlaw45 is on a distinguished road

I like my 1973 Dawia 8' 7wt. I have that reel on it with a DT5F. it's nice. I also like the silaflex am always looking for one. I have a casting one 8'6 medium and it's really nice.
ya can't go wrong with a glass rod from the old days and the one's already posted are all nice.
Outlaw
Old 10-05-2013, 10:58 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw45 View Post
ya can't go wrong with a glass rod from the old days
Actually you can .
Just about a year ago I bought a Heddon Vicount 6wt. Paid 10 bucks.
It could be that if I stripped it down and rebuilt it, it may make for a serviceable rod but as is, it wasn't worth the $10 that I paid for it.
My first glass rod, a blue Conolon, is the same way. I keep it because that was the rod that I caught my first fish on a fly that I tied myself, but even after a rebuild it's still not worth using
Same deal with a Fenwick 7wt that my father built from a kit. Can't sell it because it's too ugly and I don't really want to rebuild it as it would destroy my father's "handywork", but still it's just not a rod that's enjoyable to fish.
Not all the old glass rods were created equal

Last edited by Rip Tide; 10-05-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:02 PM

outlaw45 is on a distinguished road

that is very true, ya just got to know what your looking for. even at that it could be a bad pole.

Outlaw

Last edited by outlaw45; 10-05-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: added
Old 10-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
A good Phillipson made rod like Ard's Orvis Full Flex will run you about $125-$175. The Phillipson rods are hugely popular with good reason.
Beside the Phillipson and Orvis brands, they also produced rods for LLBean, Abercrombie & Fitch and a number of smaller shops.
Rick's Rods owns the Phillipson name now and has a pretty good inventory, but you'll pay dearly.
My most recent Phillipson, a 7' 6wt "Royal Wand", I got off of Craigslist for $35 (with a mint Medalist 1492 thrown in
Hi Paul,

I'm not completely positive but about 99% that the old Full Flex is one of the actual early Orvis blanks. Either way it is a dream to fish with, I just came home from the creek close to home and while there it caught another dozen & a half little rainbows and 2 silvers of about 5 pounds that I got as bi-catch.

I should be so lucky as to find a Phillipson for 35 dollars!

Ard