The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By plecain
  • 2 Post By oarfish
  • 1 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 01:18 PM

ctmtlsmth is on a distinguished road
Default replace cork on fly rod

I purchased a used Winston Boron II 10wt. I like the action of the rod but I wish it had a thicher cork handle. Has any removed a cork from an already built rod and replaced it with a different one? Is this feasible for someone with no rod building experience? What is best way to do this? The rod is a 4 piece so no guides on the butt section. Would it be better to replace butt and reel seat along with grip? A lot of questions but would like input from anyone.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:03 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: replace cork on fly rod

Winston would probably do it for a fair price.

I'd think that any custom builder could do it pretty easily.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:06 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Since it’s a Winston and your first rod modification I would send it to them or a master rod builder. Yes it can be done the cork does not extend into the reel seat and can be cut off with the proper tools, making your own grip would require a cork press, mandrels for the glue up and reamers to fit the grip to the rod and then you would still need to shape it. I would also suggest some cork tape to enlarge your grip, cheap, easy and reversible.

Rick
Hardyreels and fredaevans like this.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:54 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

+1 on sending it to Winston. If for no other reason that I'm sure the rod has a warranty and cutting the cork grip off the blank and replacing it might cause warranty issues.

Cutting a grip off isn't too hard to do (just need to be careful), turning a cork grip is pretty easy. For a cork press I just use a 1/4" threaded metal rod, washers and wing-nuts, keep it on there to turn using sandpaper (60 grit up to 600 grit) putting the metal rod in my drill chuck. But in this case I'd call Winston.

If Winston wouldn't do it or said you can without warranty issues and it was a lighter weight rod I'd say wrap the cork in rattan. Looks and feels great but might be odd on a 10wt. The cork tape could work too.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:24 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

You can also buy premade corks, just reem it out to fit.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:52 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why?

"I like the action of the rod but I wish it had a thicher cork handle."

Unless you have huge hands (I don't) I found a few rods (2handers) that I've had to have the cork sanded down to a smaller size. That aside, as this is a 10Wt I probably couldn't cast same at 71.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:25 AM

ctmtlsmth is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone. All good suggestions. Winston, to my surprise, said they don't have any corks that would be any thicker. From what I've heard from others I'm not the only one who thinks Winston's corks too wimpy. I have found a rod builder who can do the job for me.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:04 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmtlsmth View Post
Thanks everyone. All good suggestions. Winston, to my surprise, said they don't have any corks that would be any thicker. From what I've heard from others I'm not the only one who thinks Winston's corks too wimpy. I have found a rod builder who can do the job for me.
Even though its Winston, they're still a production shop. Which means they probably 1) get the handles pre-made 2) if they make their own, they have templates they have to follow to get the same shapes everytime.

Good move going with a custom builder . We can save you a lot of time and money since most of us are already geared up to make our own handles.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 10-15-2013, 10:29 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
Even though its Winston, they're still a production shop. Which means they probably 1) get the handles pre-made 2) if they make their own, they have templates they have to follow to get the same shapes everytime.
I'd love to know if anyone has any information about option #1 being true! Winston has some nice freaking cork, and I would love to get a hold of some of similar, if not the same, quality.

I already know it's hard to get a hold of prime quality cork rings, so I'll take a pre-made grip if it's available in Winston quality.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmtlsmth View Post
I don't find that surprising, I have a 15' 7/8 weight 2 hand rod from them and the corks are considerably thinner than my Hardy's. I don't mind the grips but got used to the rod.

Having someone who knows the ropes do this for you is wise.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;