The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By williamhj
  • 2 Post By williamhj
  • 3 Post By Rip Tide
  • 2 Post By buddhist_palm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 09:20 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough
Default Eye replacement

I've broken a few rods in the past but never busted an eye on one until now. Any pointers on replacing an eye?

I just bought the repair kit that includes a new eye, bobbin and thread, razor blades, and final coat.

What am I doing? Taking a razor blade to the rod to scrape the old finish off down to the thread? Any tips on re-wrapping the eye of tying it off? How long to dry? Ect...

Thanks
Old 10-14-2013, 09:48 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eye replacement

To remove the thread of the old guide, if the guide is still on the rod, run the razor blade up the guide foot cutting off the thread. This will protect the blank from the blade. Once you've cut the thread over the foot the rest of the thread will often come off in one piece.

To remove the remnants use your fingernail. You can heat the finish a bit with a hair dryer on low, but you really don't want to heat the blank so if you do this be very sparing with the heat. Not a bad idea to put on a movie and slowly work at it. better to go slow with you fingernail than cut the blank with a razor.

A bit hard to discribe wrapping the guide through text, go to youtube and search for 'wrapping fly guide' or something similar and you'll find good instructional videos. You can make a really cheap set-up from a cardboard box. Cut v's into the box to hold the blank and use the weight of the bobbin to tension the thread. You can also use a book, and coffee cup to give you the thread tension you need. Put the thread in the cup and run between the pages of the book to create enough tension to wrap, but if you let go of the blank it might move back a bit but will hold in place.

What kind of finish did they provide?

When you find the wrapping video on youtube it will probably link you into a bunch of other good instructional videos for wrapping the rod, applying finish, etc. They are worth the time.
Hardyreels, mcnerney and frogg like this.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:34 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

The kit came with "hard as hull" head cement

Thanks for the tips already
Old 10-14-2013, 11:31 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I've never used that for finish on wraps. Sounds more like an emergency repair option rather than a real, long-term fix. Personally I'd go on a site like J Stockard, Mudhole, etc and pick-up a two part finish, get some cheap plastic cups and brushes and do it right. I use Diamond II personally (google Bullard to get to their site), but there are several other options. Probably get what you need for $20 or so. Or, if you get the guide and residue off and want to pay for shipping I'd be happy to re-wrap it for you.
mcnerney and buddhist_palm like this.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:40 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I used head cement on a guide repair once on the advice of an experienced rod builder
No two ways about it, that was bad advice and the finish didn't hold up for more than a couple of outings before cracking off.
Get yourself a product made specifically for the purpose or use spar varnish from the hardware store
Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I've never used that for finish on wraps. Sounds more like an emergency repair option rather than a real, long-term fix. Personally I'd go on a site like J Stockard, Mudhole, etc and pick-up a two part finish, get some cheap plastic cups and brushes and do it right. I use Diamond II personally (google Bullard to get to their site), but there are several other options. Probably get what you need for $20 or so. Or, if you get the guide and residue off and want to pay for shipping I'd be happy to re-wrap it for you.
Real nice, I go to Mudhole to scope out repair kits, and suddenly I'm searching rod blanks. The wheels start turning and now I think it would be interesting to build a rod.

Money pit!
williamhj and frogg like this.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 10-15-2013 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Keeping it clean
Old 11-09-2013, 02:05 PM

throssing is on a distinguished road

I would recommend seeing an ophthalmologist.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:30 PM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough

You'll enjoy building a rod from scratch. Mudhole and Netcraft, both, have kits for good rods at good prices.
Go for it.

Chris