The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 01:37 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light
Default C.F. Burkheimer classic trout rods

I'm curious if anyone here on the forum uses a Burkheimer classic trout rod, 9' 5 weight, 9'5" 5 weight, or any other line size trout model in the classic series of burkies. I have fished one only once and only with a dry fly, it was one of, if not the sweetest casting rod I've used to date.

I'm wondering how this rod performs as an "all-rounder" dries, nymphs, wets and streamers, maybe even split-shots if anyone has used them on this rod.

I'm seriously considering buying one of these rods, maybe the 9'5" 5 weight as an indicator nymphing and all round type rod, so I would really appreciate the input.

This past weekend I fished the Deerfield river in MA. I was using my 9' 5 weight sage VXP and it performed beautifully with double nymph rigs and split shot nymph rigs. As a nymphing rod it's incredible when lined with a 6 weight line, however, after nymphing and high sticking for three days straight I realized I could use a Lil more length, hence the 9'5" 5 weight C.F. Burkheimer classic that I am interested in getting feed back about.

A lot of information here, but any insight into the Burkie classic trout series in regards to how well they can handle weights nymphs would be awesome. Thanks fellas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:47 PM

coolhand is on a distinguished road
Default Re: C.F. Burkheimer classic trout rods

I have fished with a CF Burkheimer Classic Trout 9', #5, DAL (Deep Action Load) model a couple of times. Really, a very nice, smooth casting rod. Not as light as some of the newer tech rods, doesn't recover as quickly as those same rods. But, a super pleasant rod to fish with.

It will handle a hopper/dropper rig or a double nymph rig (with 2, #12-14 beadhead nymphs) and indicator easily. Not a long distance tool, but fishes very well from 60' and shorter, with ample power. I haven't fished any heavier streamers with this rod, and don't think that it would be the best for that purpose.

Overall, a very nice all-around #5 wt rod. Excellent craftsmanship and beautiful to look at. I don't love the shape of the cork handle and wish that it had a hook keeper, but these are minor quibbles. I think that you would be very happy with a "Burkie".

George Anderson's Yellowstone Anglers 5 weight shootout panned these rods. Which is unfortunate, because they are much, much, better than he gives them credit for. But, I doubt that CF Burkheimer fills his shop with consignment rods like some other manufacturers do, but that is another issue entirely...
Old 10-15-2013, 10:10 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Why not go all the way to a 10' rod? I nymph with a 10' 4wt Z-Axis and it works awfully nice. Maybe Burkheimer doesn't offer a 10 ft rod? I don't mean to hijack the thread.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:14 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

I bought a 489 and ordered the 595 after my first day fishing with the 489, that is how much I enjoy them. They are my two go-to rods for summer trout. I ended up getting rid of Sage ZXL and an XP because they were no longer needed with my burkies. Call the shop and talk to them and they will set you up with what you need.

I read the reviews and the shootout. This is just me, but I have cast some of the rods in the shootout and I do not enjoy them at all. Just too fast for me and in many cases for me at least they take too much line to load. Burkies are for fishing, simply a joy to cast all day and can hit all distances needed. Can't say enough about them and plan on either a 389 or 695 this spring.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:14 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I have fished but do not own any Burkheimers. The point of getting one over a techier rod is the custom action and fine cosmetics Kerry Burkheimer offers. A protégé of the great Russ Peak, Kerry no doubt knows what he is doing and will purpose build just what you are looking for and it will be beautiful too.

I have long supported G. Anderson's "Shootouts". The last 5-Weight iteration, however, struck me as rushed and ill-edited. He is oft accused of having a business bias...I have no issue with him hoping to sell a rod or two. One must view these shootouts as comparatively informational while recognizing where he is coming from and what he likes, which he is clear about. Do not view them as the horses mouth of what you SHOULD buy but as his observations of how each rates compared to his conceptual ideal of a light weight, soft tipped rod with smooth and accessible low end power that casts a GPX line (?). This is not a bad thing and he has informed many about rods we would not have had on our radar where it not for him, Hardy Zenith being the best example.
mridenour likes this.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:16 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I fish a 489-4 Burkheimer (not the DAL). I fish it with a SA Mastery Trout line, which is the line I used to fine tune the rod to my casting style, over Rio Gold and Airflow Ridgline Tactical. Using this line I can throw double bead heads in the size 12 and under class with a putty indicator quite easily. I'm fishing spring creeks, not large freestoner rivers with this rod. In short, the rod works very well for me and is a joy to fish nymphs as well as dry flies.

It's a much different stick than all my Sage rods to be sure. But it's also pushed my 486-4 ZXL to the back of the quiver, which was not an easy task. I still fish it, but I didn't reach for it as much as that Burkie at the end of last season. Perhaps it's because the Burkie was new and I wanted to spend time with it. But it's certainly a pleasure to fish.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:04 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I like the 8'9" length a lot. I used to fish a #5 of that length and it was my favorite rod in its day.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:21 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I have the 9' 5wt DAL...but in a VINTAGE model. The only difference is the cosmetic choices between the models CLASSIC, PRESENTATION and VINTAGE I believe.

That said it's my go to for all around fishing. Compared to my ZG helios rods (mid flex and tip flex) it does recover slower, but my assumption is that is due to the deep action.

I have a superfine touch that while it's a full/slow/deep action I'd say it recovers faster and feels more nimble (although we're comparing a 5wt and 3wt) and the superfine is superlight.

The DAL is not light but it's paired with a hefty saracione Mark IV so the rod had to have some weight to it. Perfectly paired IMO.

The CFB DAL DOES in fact do it all for me. I dare say it casts articulated (4, 6 hooks) streamers nearly as well as my H2 6wt (which has a similar action to the DAL but is rated a tip flex). It does well with double nymph rigs and dry flies down to 14. I think it is a bit much with 18 down but I can only get so much out of a 5wt and fine long tippets. I wished I'd known about them sooner, I might have gotten a 4wt and 3wt DAL and passed on those ZG Helios rods—but they serve their purpose too.

It's just that the ZG Helios 9 5wt is my backup and loaner now. :-(

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 10-16-2013, 09:27 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Most anyone that has tried them tells me,,'once you go glass, then graphite doesn't mean much any more.' When I had a couple glass rods I was too young to know much of anything about,,well anything really. I'm anxious to give glass a second try.

Wish them Orvis Superfine glass rods were already on the block for sale.

Mike
Old 10-20-2013, 04:02 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

These rods are very interesting, the burkheimers seem to have no following on this forum. I'm shocked because I had a chance to use the 9' 5 weight burkheimer classic trout and it just about blew my socks off. I couldnt believe how lively the rod was, smooth casting, and a nice soft-tipped action that seemed to handle both far and close presentations with authority, Overall I was incredibly impressed.

However, on another large forum, many people got thier hands on burkheimers and put away thier sages, loomis's, winston's and scotts forever. They do have a huge following in other circles, so I guess I'm just shocked that more people here don't utilize or know about the burkheimer rods.

I am very interested in purchasing one, the 9'5" 5 weight with full wells and fighting butt, might just be an amazing all arounder thats well suited for high sticking. The reason I don't go to 10' is b/c thats just too long for some of the rivers I fish, the 9,1/2 is already pushing it so I wouldnt go to a 10'.