The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By miamimikepa
  • 2 Post By von behr
  • 1 Post By mysticm
  • 1 Post By pszy22
  • 1 Post By mojo
  • 2 Post By ia_trouter
  • 3 Post By thenewlushlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 11:41 PM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough
Default Future of the Superfine

Hey guys,

Thinking about picking up a 4wt for small streams and have been looking real hard at the 7 ft 6 in Orvis Superfine Touch. I know the glass Superfine will be coming out soon and was curious if anybody knows if the Superfine Touch is going to be discontinued or if Orvis is going to produce both versions. The fact that during the month of August Orvis was giving a free CFO reel with purchase of it leads me to believe they may be trying to move them to make room for the glass. Was real disappointed that I missed out on the promotion, but I talked to my local dealer last Thursday and he told me he'd still honor the deal if i decided I wanted the setup.

Thanks
Mike
mcnerney and fly_guy12955 like this.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:01 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Future of the Superfine

Mike, I don't know if Orvis is planning on pulling the graphite Superfine out of the line up. I would expect not, since the graphite version seems like it's a big hit and is getting great reviews. That said, if you have an opportunity to get in on that deal, I would say go for it. You won't be disappointed in the rod.

-VB
mcnerney and fly_guy12955 like this.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:42 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Mike,
I doubt that Orvis will discontinue the Superfine series since it has been a very good seller in their lineup. The CFO reel deal was because Orvis came up with a new version of the Click Pawl Battenkill reel & because they may be coming out with a limited edition (made in the USA) version of the CFO.

So, the deal was to decrease inventory of the current (asia made) CFO reels.

I suggest getting the Superfine rod if you can find a good deal.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:36 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

The Superfine line was Orvis' first graphite rods. Granted they have undergone a number of redesigns, but the line has been around forever. It's hard to count how many other Orvis models they have seen come and gone.

Anything fiberglass will be a niche market, and won't generate enough volume to replace a line that otherwise has market traction.

Of course since no one has a crystal ball, any guess into the future is as good as any other guess.

So if a rod line was discontinued, what would be your concern? If it was resale value, well designed rods with a following may actually go up in price when they are discontinued, it's the old supply and demand thing. If a number of people want one, and they are no longer being made, the value of existing rods go up.

If you like, I wouldn't hesitate to get it based on future marketing decisions the company may or may not make.

In any case - have fun.
mcnerney likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 10-21-2013, 05:42 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Superfines have a hell of a following, and every year it grows larger. (fly fishers are finding there's more to fly fishing than superfast rods). The new glass will have a following too. Orvis has plenty of room in the line up for the glass rods.
After all they only have 1/10 of the rod line that Sage has.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:12 AM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Chevrolet stopped making 63 Split window Vettes too, but I make it a point to never look down on anyone who got stuck with one.

Get the rod you want it, they are nice, and you may keep it forever.
mojo and mridenour like this.

Last edited by ia_trouter; 10-21-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:48 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I have an old Superfine and love it. However, last year when I wanted another slow rod I didn't want to spend a lot of money so I bought a close-out Redington Classic Trout rod for $100 bucks. It's a great rod for the money. I can't tell the difference between the CT and the Superfine. (Perhaps the LT is a bit slower.)

The CT has been replaced by the Tempt, but it's the same rod except that the Tempt doesn't have the big, ugly Redington logo on it.

Randy
Old 10-21-2013, 10:04 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

I am an orvis employee and I just checked the product listings for the 2014 year.

THE ORIGINAL SUPERFINE TOUCH WILL NOT BE DISCONTINUED THIS YEAR.
Have no fear guys, the touch rod is still in production this year, the superfine glass will not be replacing it.

As for the gentleman that started this post, I think its a great idea for you to buy the superfine graphite in a 4wt either 7'6" or 8', both rods are amazing. I prefer the 8' due to better line control, if I'm on a small choked stream I just switch to roll cast and single hand spey techniques rather than buying a shorter rod. I believe line control is very important, but thats just me. Good luck and hope you pull the trigger on the touch rod, its easily my favorite dry fly rod due to its deeper flex than say sage circa or scott G's. Can't go wrong with the touch at $495.
von behr, mysticm and fly_guy12955 like this.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:27 AM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all of the input. Didn't ask the question because of resale value or being worried about buying a rod about to be discontinued. I like the rod and am fairly certain I want to purchase one. The only reason I asked if it was going to be discontinued is because I wanted to know if I need to jump on it right away or if I have some time. Just bought an Abel Super 5 and am getting ready to pull the trigger on the Scott Radian. Was hoping this wasn't going to be discontinued so I had a bit of time to get it.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:42 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

That's actually an easy question to answer. If you want to hold off for a while, you'd still be able to get the rod regardless of what decision was made regarding ongoing production. If Orvis stopped making them today, it would take a while to flush remaining/existing stock thru the system.

So if would work out better for you to hold off for a while, go ahead and do so. The only downside to waiting is you may get hit with a future price increase. If you really got lucky, they would discontinue the rods and you could pick one up at a discount as they tried to clear out discontinued inventory.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo