The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 03:34 AM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road
Default Middle priced rods.

I think it's kind of weird that when looking at even middle priced rods, many of them has an extremely cheap fitting. The guides look cheap. I would understand if it was cheap rods, but middle end rods should not be like that.
I think Sage is the first rods I've seen with quality components. But it's a different price.

Kim.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:25 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Middle priced rods.

Kim,

That's interesting. To be honest, since I already own enough equipment to last at least a couple of lifetimes, I haven't bought a new reeled rod in quite a while. Truth be told, last new reeled rod I bought was an Eagle Claw Featherlight (long story as to why I bought the Eagle Claw).

I was actually surprised at how well it was appointed for a $30 rod. Granted the fittings aren't top notch , state of the art, but they are pretty nice and at least very functional. I had a hard time figuring out how they could produce, ship, market, wholesale, retail, and deliver the rod for less than $30.

Click the image to open in full size.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 10-24-2013, 08:06 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I have five top-of-the-line rods. My last several rods, however, have been mid-priced, as I find they cast just as well. Yes, they don't look quite a good as the more expensive rods, but I wouldn't say their components look cheap. The mid-priced rods I have are an Echo, a Redington, a St. Croix, and a Cabela's.

Randy
Old 10-24-2013, 08:31 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

My TFO's don't get mistaken for Orvis Helios but they definitely don't look cheap to me. I love them and that's a good thing because that is all I can afford for the time being.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:22 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I think most mid level rods are actually built rather well.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:30 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krikau27 View Post
I think it's kind of weird that when looking at even middle priced rods, many of them has an extremely cheap fitting. The guides look cheap. I would understand if it was cheap rods, but middle end rods should not be like that.
I think Sage is the first rods I've seen with quality components. But it's a different price.

Kim.
What do you consider a mid-priced rod? If you want good components contact a professional rod builder. Tons of good blanks out there, both name brands you see in fly shops and ones you wouldn't know about unless you built your own. Probably can get a nice rod made for a nice price, depending on your budget.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:21 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Beulah and Scott do a fantastic job on their mid-priced rods. St Croix does as well, but keeps cost down by using less expensive components. Sage seems to be hit or miss, with poor quality cork being an issue as of late. I've never really been impressed with G Loomis, TFO, or Echo (all owned by the same company).
Old 10-24-2013, 03:26 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

This post just gave me a major flashback . We recently got over a post that had 96 replies. In a nut shell it was started with a query about Sage charging so much and their components looking cheaper.

(most) rod maunfacturers will put the least expensive components on a rod that they can get away with. Why not? The consumer tolerates it so its all good. From cheap reel seat hardware/ inserts, guides, cork, or even the fit and finish every penny saved on on those items is another penny back into the business. It's business... buy low sell high or..... manufacture as low as you can and sell as high as the consumer will tolerate.

Besides building my own Bamboo rods I got into building custom rods so I could put the best on my builds. To me it is better to have a custom XXXX brand rod with top quality components than it is to have same factory XXXX brand rod, that cost more, with components that are not up to my standards. Typically the same warranty as the store bought rod.

To me it's not so much that the components look cheap. It's more that they can be cheap. Cheap guides groove and break, sub-par cork crumbles, reel seats crack, plating flakes off or they corrode and plastic parts break.

Sorry off my soap box now.

Pete
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 10-24-2013, 03:28 PM

deadl1fta is on a distinguished road

tfo are super great quality for cheap.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:28 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

There is a lot to be said for St. Croixs. They are very under rated as far as I am concerned. They may not be prettiest, but they sure are effective and definitely don't look cheap as far as I am concerned.
biggie_robs and fly_guy12955 like this.