The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 12:51 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default 6-8WT flyrod selection advice needed

Planning to expanding my flyfishing way beyond small stream IA trout. I want to get this right and avoid ending up 6 cheap flyrods quickly. I'm thinking $300 rod, and a reel with an excellent drag. I have done some searching, but hope for advice for a very particular situation on my favorite MN Lake chain I have spin fished for 25 years.

I don't know what I need as 100% of my experience is with 3-5WT, but I do know the fish potential of the water this rod will mostly fish based on 25 years of spin fishing this MN Lake chain.

Fishing for LM Bass and Pike. 90% of the bass will be 2-4# and very occasionally 5+. The Pike generally run modest, mostly 20-24" fish, once a week you'll hook a 28-30"+. I suspect weighted MED to MED/LG streamers will work, size 2-4 would be smallish IMO. I can throw poppers with my 5WT. I can normally get out of the wind. The lake is very fertile so you have to get pressure on the bass and pike immediately or the game is over quick. No casting obstructions and a 30-40 cast is generally sufficient.

I am hoping somebody owns one of the larger sized St Croix Avids, but if not, your other brand experiences in this weight range is welcomed. One of my new rods WILL be a St Croix, and I am partial to dark green rods.

Narrowing the WT-length-action part of the decision is most important for now.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:19 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6-8WT flyrod selection advice needed

I'm thinking that you would be happy with an eight weight for the payloads that you need to throw.
TeddyBallgame09 likes this.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:23 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

just splurge on a thomas and thomas...
bradyb and djamtime like this.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:31 PM

TeddyBallgame09 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I'm thinking that you would be happy with an eight weight for the payloads that you need to throw.

Agreed! Being undergunned isn't always about not having enough stick for the fish. Not having enough oomph to sling larger more wind-resistant flies would be the overriding factor when considering a 6, 7, or 8 wt.

I'm with MP...go with the 8
Old 10-26-2013, 08:25 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Appreciate the responses. I am leaning 7-8. I have a 5WT that needs upgraded, but it will remain a 5WT, so I thought a 6 could probably be excluded from the future stable.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:30 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I'm very impressed with the new Allen XA2 6 wt. Very impressed. American rolled and built.
I'm not sure about the 8 wt., but if it casts and fishes
like the 6 wt., you would do yourself a disfavor by not looking at it, and the price is right. I will say that I fish a Winston B2x in both 6 and 8 wts. and this series in the 6 wt. knocked my socks off.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:38 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

If pike weren't involved, I'd suggest a 7wt. But if you're going to target pike, then you're really throwing the big stuff. Go with a 9ft 8wt.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:45 AM

How large of a streamer will a 7WT typically throw, say 40ft?

I know large pike and musky like long streamers. Pike on this lake don't typically run too large so I am thinking streamers a little closer to bass size may be effective. I could be wrong and I will research it.

MOJO The Allen XA2 does not appear to be available at this time.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:25 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
How large of a streamer will a 7WT typically throw, say 40ft?

I know large pike and musky like long streamers. Pike on this lake don't typically run too large so I am thinking streamers a little closer to bass size may be effective. I could be wrong and I will research it.

MOJO The Allen XA2 does not appear to be available at this time.
I have thrown 2/0 streamers with a 7 weight, but they were sparsely tied. If those flies were bulked up with feathers, fur, and synthetics, casting could become rather difficult.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:46 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

The 8-wt is the ideal all-around stick for your intended targets. You might consider the Redington Predator at $250.

I know of a few owners of that rod who are very happy with it and use it religiously for big LMB's in the lakes around here.

-VB