The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By theboz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 05:12 PM

joelg is on a distinguished road
Default Rotated Guide on Shakespeare 1280T Fly Rod?

Good evening everybody,

Altho I have never before used a fly rod, I've just acquired several old fly rods from my grandfather's garage. One of them is a Shakespeare 1280T, made in Jul 1951. One feature on it has me puzzled, and I haven't had any luck searching for an answer on the web. I'd appreciate any insight any of you can offer.

The front seat for the reel is non-movable, so in the following description, I'll use that as a reference for the 12 o'clock position as we look down the rod from the butt to the tip.

The first (largest) guide is a standard double-foot guide, and the others (not including the tip) are wire snake guides. The first guide is rotated to the right 90 degrees so that it sits at the 3 o'clock position from the reel seat. The second guide (the snake guide) is back at the 12 o'clock position. Both of these two guides are on the butt piece of the two-piece rod.

Is this rotation an intentional design feature? The wrapping for both of the guides looks to be of the same quality, skill, diameter, color and age. So I find it hard to believe the double-foot guide came off and was reattached. Anybody with the skill and caring to do such a quality job surely would not have accidently rotated the guide 90 degrees. But I also find it hard to believe this is an intentional design feature from Shakespeare. An equipment guy at the Orvis shop in San Destin agrees it appears original, but has never heard of the first guide being rotated.

What do you folks say? Accident or design? If design, who & why?

Thanks much for your time, and for any help you can offer.

joel
Old 11-04-2013, 09:31 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rotated Guide on Shakespeare 1280T Fly Rod?

That's a Wonder Rod you have! My first fly rod always good memories! The thing I don't remember is the guide being out of line. Mine lined up from bottom to top.
Just a guess but either your first snake guide moved on it's threads or your stripping guide or where your rod is glued in to the grip came loose and turned ( the reel seat would still be stationary)
Either way easy to fix and a fun rod to use!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-05-2013, 05:14 PM

You're correct; it is a Wonderod. Have already bought a new fly rod & reel so I can learn a little about how to fly fish before I use the older ones. Would hate to damage one of them thru my ignorance. Hope the Wonderod turns out to be as good as you say. But I guess I'll have to fix that one guide first.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:26 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Worry more about damaging your new rod , those older glass rods can really take a beating!
Old 11-05-2013, 09:30 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough
Default Rotated Guide on Shakespeare 1280T Fly Rod?

I've recently done a lot of study on wonderods, I just purchased my first one online. There is a ton of models to chose from and I mean a ton. From the reading I've done they also differ greatly in terms of desirability. Due to the weight of the rods, versions under 8 ft were regarded more usable. There are different tapers as well as rankings. Presidential and purist style seem to be more sought after.

1280T should be 7.9 feet, you have a shorter rod. Listed as a trout rod weighing 3.9 oz and produced from 51-59, that is an early one. They were first made in 1947. I think it says it's a wf8 but take a look at the link

http://fiberglass-fly-rods.pbworks.c...05/Shakespeare

Either way their can be some really good rods in here. They are vintage and can be had for cheap. There are a ton of color variations, some look really sharp to boot.

If you don't feel like messing with rehabbing the guide yourself take it to some one. My local shop does 20 a guide.

I think you should post a photo

On a side note I agree, learn casting on your newer rod, might be easier in the beginning. What was the new rod you purchased?
Old 11-08-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Worry more about damaging your new rod , those older glass rods can really take a beating!
Can't help but recall that old fiberglass bow (as in archery) that shredded when I tried to string it. Hope it doesn't happen to my old fiberglass rods. & one of the old rods is either split cane or bamboo. That's the one I'm most worried about.

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhist_palm View Post
... I think it says it's a wf8 but take a look at the link fiberglass fly rods / Shakespeare
I think you should post a photo
On a side note I agree, learn casting on your newer rod, might be easier in the beginning. What was the new rod you purchased?
Thanks much for the pointer to the website; that's the same site I found & used to figure out that the rod was made in Jul 1951. Am still confused on translating the lines that chart says I should use, but will figure it out.

I'm not afraid to tackle the job of reworking the guide. It'll make me feel a little closer to my grandfather & grandmother who taught me to fish a long time ago, so I'll have a smile on my face even if I screw up the work on the guide. ;-> Just want to be sure that I'm not letting my ignorance undo something good when I move that guide.

Photo? Hummm. Will have to do that this weekend, if anybody is interested. Gotta admit tho, that it really isn't a pretty rod anymore.

The new rod I bought is a 6 weight RLS. I think it was $160 for rod, reel, line & case. Good enuf to learn on but won't make me cry if I get clumsy & break it.

Thanks much to both of you for your interest, answers & help!
joel
Old 11-08-2013, 03:44 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Would enjoy seeing a picture as well, including the out of alighment guide. If you have questions about the guide repair, ask away. A lot of folks on here will be able to help.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:06 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Would enjoy seeing a picture as well, including the out of alighment guide..
me too

They also have your model list on the antique rod and reel library
Old 11-08-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelg View Post
Can't help but recall that old fiberglass bow (as in archery) that shredded when I tried to string it. Hope it doesn't happen to my old fiberglass rods. & one of the old rods is either split cane or bamboo. That's the one I'm most worried about.

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Thanks much for the pointer to the website; that's the same site I found & used to figure out that the rod was made in Jul 1951. Am still confused on translating the lines that chart says I should use, but will figure it out.

I'm not afraid to tackle the job of reworking the guide. It'll make me feel a little closer to my grandfather & grandmother who taught me to fish a long time ago, so I'll have a smile on my face even if I screw up the work on the guide. ;-> Just want to be sure that I'm not letting my ignorance undo something good when I move that guide.

Photo? Hummm. Will have to do that this weekend, if anybody is interested. Gotta admit tho, that it really isn't a pretty rod anymore.

The new rod I bought is a 6 weight RLS. I think it was $160 for rod, reel, line & case. Good enuf to learn on but won't make me cry if I get clumsy & break it.

Thanks much to both of you for your interest, answers & help!
joel
[quote=joelg;608768][/quote
Don't shoot arrows off the Wonder Rod and it will be fine!
williamhj likes this.