The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bwf
  • 1 Post By miamimikepa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 04:44 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Sage method 9' 4 weight

I'm starting this thread in hopes that someone out there has tried casting or fishing the sage method 9' 4 weight, and if so, could we get some feedback on it. I am very curious about this particular rod, I was not at all a fan of the 9' 5 weight sage TCX, it was far too stiff and souless for my liking. However, I have heard the method is not as stiff and more lively. Any insight into this particular 9' 4 weight method would be greatly appreciated.

In a few weeks I will drive down to a shop that carries sage and give this rod a try, when I do I will certainly report my results, in the meantime though, any feedback on this rod wouldn't suck.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:07 PM

bwf is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sage method 9' 4 weight

Sounds like a z-axis, ZXL, Circa or TXL fit your bill more than the Method. TCR, TCX, Method are built for long distance line tossing, not for all-around fly fishing.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:29 AM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

I haven't tried the 4wt, bunt wrote a lengthy review on the 5wt, I'd assume there won't be a big enough difference for that to be the rod you are looking for. My personal opinion...check out the Scott Radian!
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:35 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I too would be curious to cast it, however, it is my opinion as well that Method and its predecessors are more optimally suited to heavier line sizes. Of course, there is always the exception to the rule so, like you, I will at least cast it. My current big water #4, Loomis NRX, was panned in some reviews and I was not enamored of the 5-weight but when I cast the #4 I was blown away...it is a just right bowl of porridge for this bear.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:58 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Call me odd,but I kinda like the looks of Loomis rods. More contemporary for sure,,and I'm more for the traditional look,,but they are actually attractive..to me that is.

If they do the job and excel, that's the major issue anyways I suppose.