The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 08:04 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sage LL 279-2 thoughts?

2-5 in the LL's are awesome rods. I have a 279 379 and 486. Love them.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:06 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I regret selling every LL that I have owned. The 279-2 and 389-3 really hurt. I'm sure you will be pleased with the rod! I recently got a Sage SPLCA 8ft 0wt and that thing is SWEEEEEET. Definitely worth keeping an eye out for.

Chase
Old 11-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
Anyone have any first hand experience with the Sage LL 279 series rod. I know there is a large following of the Sage LL series rods but I am an UL guy and the 279 piques my interest.

I've fished the Orvis SFT 6'6" and it is a touch short for the areas I fish and just received a custom RDP 7'6" 2wt that will hopefully get some water time tomorrow.
I have one. Love it! I have had it for about 10 years now and I bought it used but like new condition. I bought a small English made Battenkill LA I and loaded it with Orvis Superfine WF. Smaller diameter line. What a blast.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:11 AM

mtbusman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor; w608582
What are your thoughts on the 469? Any chance you have cast a similar 6'6" or 7' Orvis SFT for comparison?
Sorry, I got sidetracked by work and missed your post. I don't have the Orvis rod you speak of to compare with the LL 469.

The 4 weight 6'9" LL is a niche rod, IMO. It loads well up close--I mean, very close. I got it for fishing on a boulder infested bushy creek with a canopy of trees. I used to have to crawl around and sneak up behind boulders to drop a fly 6-12 feet into a pool for a spooky wild brown trout. This rod could do this. Casting over 30 feet it doesn't do so well. Well, maybe you can get 40 feet -- but the point is, it wasn't designed to cast very far.

Because of this, they guys at the fly shop where I bought it encouraged me to buy the LL473 or 4711. I tried those rods and loved them, but the 469 was the ticket for the little creek I was fishing. It's a special little rod.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:02 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Drool...

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:50 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Got it out for a couple hours later afternoon and OMG! Such a wonderful rod, light and accurate. This rod may make me a Dry Fly Snob as it turned over dries super nicely Definitely more than impressed with this rods ability to turn over a fly and at good distances also.
yonder likes this.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:29 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
Got it out for a couple hours later afternoon and OMG! Such a wonderful rod, light and accurate. This rod may make me a Dry Fly Snob as it turned over dries super nicely Definitely more than impressed with this rods ability to turn over a fly and at good distances also.
I look forward to casting these high end ultralights you are collecting. You catch anything while I was working today? If you saved me any fish I am thinking about Sunday if I can dodge the lightning. 60 degrees sounds very inviting, even if it rains.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
I look forward to casting these high end ultralights you are collecting. You catch anything while I was working today? If you saved me any fish I am thinking about Sunday if I can dodge the lightning. 60 degrees sounds very inviting, even if it rains.
Missed a couple but didn't have any come to hand. Though there were at least 5 other fishing when I got down there.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:58 AM

wichaka is on a distinguished road

I have a 379 and won't be parting with it anytime soonly!. Have it teamed up with Rio Trout LT WF line along with a Redington Drift 2/3 reel...they balance well together.

Am now on the hunt for a 4711 model.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:01 AM

Thanks to Ard and IA Trouter this will be finding a home on the Sage 279-2 LL.

250 yds of 20# backing has been ordered as well. Now the painful wait for everything to arrive.